GMcCrady

Dead in the water , twice !

27 posts in this topic

So I bought a brand new 19 foot H2O with the 220 hp IO .  Picked it up Saturday morning took it to the water and was in the water for about 45 minutes when the engine stopped and after several times to start it restarted I could not start .  Fortunately a Coast Guard auxiliary boat had been out of the water and observed us in distress so they came over and towed me back to shore.   Got the boat home couldn't do anything on Sunday. First thing Monday morning take it to the dealership in Milton PA and have the mechanic go over the boat explaining to him what happened.  He said he thought it sounded like a fuel issue which is generally the case and boats tweaked a fuel line that was slightly bent but I looked at other boats on the lot and they had the exact same set up so I wasn't convinced that was that.  Did everything he could to check the engine the mechanics and couldn't find anything wrong of course the boat started up motor ran fine in drydock.  Decided to leave there and the closest body of water but 8 miles away and spend an hour on the Susquehanna in the boat ran fine. Took it all the way home spent the last next two days maybe an hour or so each day running the boat , everything was fine and then decided to take it for a evening run on the river and take my six-year-old grandson with me for a little fishing. Left the launch and proceeded to go south and probably within five minutes the engine shutdown. Couldn't get it to run and eventually had to be pulled in by water rescue boats from the local fire department .  So in five times putting in the water with about 4 1/2 hours on the engine twice this boat left me dead in the water which is a 40% failure rate .  Someone please tell me that this is an anomaly for this particular model and manufacturer of watercraft ?

A totally frustrated boat owner ( hopefully not much longer) 

So now it's up early Saturday morning and back to the marina that we bought the boat from and I am going to leave it there and try to terminate the sales contract have them keep the boat how can I get into this boat and feel confident that it's going to run when two times out of the five I put in the water it's failed me 

It is a heating up failure problem. Dealer never hooked up a code failure checker ? If no ? You are screwed by them forever.

Call Chaparral for  help.  New boat warranty.

You are NOT lucky with this boat & dealer.

GOOD LUCK

When it won't start, will it turn over or absolutely nothing happens? Does it attempt to start and dies? Are you getting any warning tones? When it does run, does it start easily and run well?

Like Osteodoc says, need more info on the no-start situation. It is unusual for a boat to have the symptoms you have, but again, need more info. 

No point to call Chaparral. This is a dealer warranty issue. Should be fixable.

brick

Pretty basic, but something I have fallen victim to before - the kill switch.  If the mechanic did not get any engine codes - consider that you have tripped the kill switch. Simple, but its a new boat, so thought I would throw that out there.  

Another basic to exclude ... leaving the shifter in gear, or bumping it into the gear before trying to start the engine. 

These are good questions ... 

When it won't start, will it turn over or absolutely nothing happens? Does it attempt to start and dies? Are you getting any warning tones? When it does run, does it start easily and run well?

Still, the writeup suggests that the engine stalled underway twice. Not a good sign.

10 hours ago, GMcCrady said:

A totally frustrated boat owner ( hopefully not much longer) 

I don't know how it went for you today, but from your description, it sounds like a fuel issue - not normal at any rate. Almost sounds like a vapour lock, but if fuel related, I'm leaning towards a partially blocked anti-siphon valve or fuel delivery issue from a faulty fuel pump or fuel tank can't vent properly. Please don't give up on the boat or dealership.

Having said this, once the problem has been diagnosed, a tech would have to water test on a lake, etc. under load for say 1/2 an hour to confirm that the cure actually works.

While the boat is there, should have the tech confirm the tachometer is set to 6 cylinder. In the past, I've always seen the analog tachometers come set up from the factory for 8 cylinder power.

H2O-19S-Dash-17.jpg

Thanks for the replies

yeah it was always underway or under power when it just suddenly shut off.  I did get a tone alert just before it shut down this last time . Barely doing  20 mph. 

again the weird part is we had it  at the dealership early in the week supposedly fixing  the problem. I ran it three more days and different times, different speeds and then Friday barely got off the dock and it quit so it's just very very frustrating. 

The fix for us is I'm returning the boat. Really liked it but now I can't be confident it will be reliable. 

Boat has 5 hours on it.  Boat and trailer have been titled.  Sales tax has been paid.  It's a used a boat.   You won't be getting the deal unwound.   Read your warranty.  They have no obligation to take the boat back.  They do have an obligation to fix it.

This leaves you with the option to sell the boat, trade the boat, or get it fixed under warranty.

Hopefully that short BEEEP was recorded in the computer Error Codes. Have them check the codes again.

an intermitted problem like that sounds electrical could be something as simple as a loose connection to the coil or ignition switch next time it does it see if its getting spark just pop a wire off the distributer hold about 1/2 inch from the cap see if it sparks 

I have had a similar issue on my boat and on an '88 Volvo 262 automobile that experienced the exact same symptoms.  In both cases it was a loose electrical connector plug to the fuel pump.  Heat or vibration would cause the connection to fail -- no fuel.  Wait for it to cool down, or wiggle the connector and voila -- electrical power to the pump, fuel, and no issues.  Very difficult to diagnose and replicate because it's so random.

Interesting ... good to have a reminder and confirmation ...

37 minutes ago, tanker said:

I have had a similar issue on my boat and on an '88 Volvo 262 automobile that experienced the exact same symptoms.  In both cases it was a loose electrical connector plug to the fuel pump.  Heat or vibration would cause the connection to fail -- no fuel.  Wait for it to cool down, or wiggle the connector and voila -- electrical power to the pump, fuel, and no issues.  Very difficult to diagnose and replicate because it's so random.

In fact, the electrical connections to VP fuel pump are numerous and flimsy, to say the least. I had not like the flopping wires and hanging connectors from the get go. I have tighten the wires and zip tied the connectors to the pump assembly while rerigging the engine compartment after the first season. Have forgotten about it until now.

17 hours ago, GMcCrady said:

Thanks for the replies

yeah it was always underway or under power when it just suddenly shut off.  I did get a tone alert just before it shut down this last time . Barely doing  20 mph. 

again the weird part is we had it  at the dealership early in the week supposedly fixing  the problem. I ran it three more days and different times, different speeds and then Friday barely got off the dock and it quit so it's just very very frustrating. 

The fix for us is I'm returning the boat. Really liked it but now I can't be confident it will be reliable. 

So you know, there is no lemon law for boats. 

41 minutes ago, Onefastaudi said:

So you know, there is no lemon law for boats. 

This depends on a particular state ... some states include boats in their lemon laws.

Remember that advice, particularly legal advice, is worth what you pay for it. 

Pennsylvania includes boats under their lemon law. Requires three attempts to fix.

brick

Most states have lemon laws and usually require 3 attempts minimum and even then it is still difficult for the "law" to be acted on.   I can tell you from experience this is not a simple  or fast process.

Federal law...Magnasson Act on vehicles during original or extended warranties also.  Long line. But about 4000 to 10,000 & all costs paid.

My advise, if I can through in my 2 cents in, is don't get frustrated. Unfortunately this is just an issue that all boaters deal with and its never fun. A few years ago I left the cap off of my remote flush and an alarm went off in my boat and the engine cut off. I was able to start the boat after 10-15 minutes and limped back to the marina. I never noticed that the temperature gauge was running hot. The guys at the dock pointed it out and I turned around and went back out. I didn't know that I burned up the impeller and with 5 minutes the engine over heated and engine cut off again. These new engines have become more like car engines and there are so many sensors that can cause your boat to cut off so that you do not damage the engine. Tracking down a problem may take a little while. Stay cool with the dealer because the last thing want if for them not to like you. After they do the repair have them test run the boat. To many times they think putting ears on the drive and running it on land will say it fixed. There is no load on the drive or engine. I am on my second Chaparral and just took delivery of a 2017 257 SSX. If I was having troubles like you have I would also be frustrated. I hope your problems get fixed and you get out there with your grandson and catch a big one.  

Wanted to give an update on the current boat situation. After a second trip to the marina to try to evaluate why the engine kept shutting off it was eventually determined after the boat quit on the mechanic , that the oil sensor that goes into the engine block apparently was cracked enough that it would function to a point and then at some point whether it was jostled or just got hot and expanded  it would cause the motor to shut down as it should because it was trying to say that the oil pressure was low. That was replaced and also the four blade prop that came with the boat was replaced with a three blade believe it's an 18 pitch.  This is the prop that the new arriving  boats come in from the manufacture and what it's doing is causing the RPMs , the max RPM's to be lower and gain some speed .  The  other day I had the H2O going about 51 mph  on speedometer and GPS. Seems the problem was fixed . I'm now a much happier boater .