ChrisB

New to us 2002 Chapparel 260 SSI

3 posts in this topic

Just purchased a 2002 Chapparel 260 SSi last weekend. Upgraded from our first boat which was a 2000 Crownline 180. We weren't looking for a boat this big but it is a sweet boat and only has 340 hours on the Vovlo 5.7 Gxi. The 5.7 is probably a little underpowered for this large a boat but we don't do any watersports except for some occasional tubbing and the lake we go to, Lewis and Clark in Yankton SD, isn't t that big. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the Chapparel in comparison to the other boats we looked at. The only issue I see with this is the Vovlo power plant. There aren't a lot of places around here that work on them but then again I like to do all of my own maintenance. I've heard that Vovlo's are easier to work on but the parts are a bit more expensive. Oh well I like the challenge of learning something new. 

I belong to the Crownline HQ forum and when I bought the Chapparel I went looking for their forum. There appears to be a lot of good information and a lot of knowledgable people on here!!

Nice boat choice.

Service availability and parts cost are the typical complaint you hear about Volvo. And the dreaded XDP drive...

brick

5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Just purchased a 2002 Chapparel 260 SSi last weekend. Upgraded from our first boat which was a 2000 Crownline 180. We weren't looking for a boat this big but it is a sweet boat and only has 340 hours on the Vovlo 5.7 Gxi. The 5.7 is probably a little underpowered for this large a boat but we don't do any watersports except for some occasional tubbing and the lake we go to, Lewis and Clark in Yankton SD, isn't t that big. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the Chapparel in comparison to the other boats we looked at. The only issue I see with this is the Vovlo power plant. There aren't a lot of places around here that work on them but then again I like to do all of my own maintenance. I've heard that Vovlo's are easier to work on but the parts are a bit more expensive. Oh well I like the challenge of learning something new. 

I belong to the Crownline HQ forum and when I bought the Chapparel I went looking for their forum. There appears to be a lot of good information and a lot of knowledgable people on here!!

Love that hull and layout; great boat and upgrade from your old 180 Crownline. Do you have the optional extended swim platform? Adding Seadek adds a lot of comfort and grip, and does not get hot on the feet. Hard to believe no one out there has asked for Seadek to make a kit for a 260 SSi bow rider or 265 SSi cuddy in the past, but I don't see a kit listed. I know the extended portion is the same as the 235 and 246 SSi, etc.

http://www.seadek.com/c-21-chaparral.aspx?pagenum=1

Image result for chaparral 260 ssi

Regarding the Volvo, recommend doing a tune up. Can use MerCruiser parts if wanted for the cap, rotor, and spark plugs. (GM HVS style distributor is prone to fouling from humidity, etc)

NOTE: Volvo HVS style distributor cap uses aluminum terminals instead of more expensive and longer lasting brass type that MerCruiser uses. Volvo spark plugs are also sourced from Champion; I personally prefer the latest NGK ITR4A-15 Laser Iridium - Merc says they're supposed to last 400 hours.

Cap and rotor - Mercury / Quicksilver part # 8M0061335   -   NGK ITR4A-15  (pre-gapped to 0.060" - DON'T touch or adjust the gap or you'll break the electrode off)  Can probably get the spark plugs  and distributor cap and rotor at a local NAPA - 1997 Chevrolet 1500 with 350 V8.

Following link will take you to Volvo marine parts look up; this site is actually run by Volvo Penta. Guessing you have a 5.7 GXi-B model with a DP-SM drive.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/default.aspx

Lastly, if the serpentine belt is making a lot of noise, recommend pulling off and replacing with a Continental Elite version. Auto supply store will need the old belt to match up.

Have fun with the boat!

$_35.JPG8M0061335_4.jpg

Image result for continental elite serpentine belt