boater77

Constant Alarm

3 posts in this topic

Good afternoon all,

Boat info:

1997 Chaparral 1930 I/O with a Mercruiser V8 MCM 5.7L Alpha 2 BBL Carburetor.

I had an issue with our starter recently and had to put in a new starter as well as a new battery.  The previous starter/solenoid had a 3 pole connection.  The new starter I put in had 4 pole, even though the picture of the starter where I ordered it had a 3 pole in the picture.  I connected the starter and read that the 4th pole was used for older starters so it wasn't needed.  I then connected, like the old one, the yellow/red wire to the small pole and the other 3 wires to the larger connector.  The starter came with the wire from the starter already wired the other large pole connector, so I left that alone.  The starter worked like a charm and it now starts right up.  After about a minute of the boat running, the engine alarm (I assume that's what it is) started alerting and has a steady constant audible tone.  The only time it stops is when we turn off the engine.  When we drove the boat out of the dock we did have real shallow water, so we thought maybe the alarm was the depth finder, but don't think that is the issue now.  We checked all the fluids today, engine oil is good, drive oil reservoir was at the fill line, so we added the proper gear lube + from Mercruiser to get that up to the full line, and the power steering unit was a bit low, so we need to add a bit to that. 

The battery is brand new, so that shouldn't be an issue.  All the gauges were showing appropriate, temp, pressure, etc. 

I am thinking it has something to do with the way I wired the starter, but it does start up and runs fine. 

Any suggestions?  So to recap, there were 4 poles, 2 large and 2 smaller.  One of the small poles has the yellow/red wire (as was on the previous starter this way), one of the large poles has the wire from the starter (prewired this way) and the other large pole has 3 wires connected to it (1 large connector/gauge and 2 smaller wires) and one empty small pole. 

Thank you and have a great day!

18 hours ago, boater77 said:

Good afternoon all,

Boat info:

1997 Chaparral 1930 I/O with a Mercruiser V8 MCM 5.7L Alpha 2 BBL Carburetor.

I had an issue with our starter recently and had to put in a new starter as well as a new battery.  The previous starter/solenoid had a 3 pole connection.  The new starter I put in had 4 pole, even though the picture of the starter where I ordered it had a 3 pole in the picture.  I connected the starter and read that the 4th pole was used for older starters so it wasn't needed.  I then connected, like the old one, the yellow/red wire to the small pole and the other 3 wires to the larger connector.  The starter came with the wire from the starter already wired the other large pole connector, so I left that alone.  The starter worked like a charm and it now starts right up.  After about a minute of the boat running, the engine alarm (I assume that's what it is) started alerting and has a steady constant audible tone.  The only time it stops is when we turn off the engine.  When we drove the boat out of the dock we did have real shallow water, so we thought maybe the alarm was the depth finder, but don't think that is the issue now.  We checked all the fluids today, engine oil is good, drive oil reservoir was at the fill line, so we added the proper gear lube + from Mercruiser to get that up to the full line, and the power steering unit was a bit low, so we need to add a bit to that. 

The battery is brand new, so that shouldn't be an issue.  All the gauges were showing appropriate, temp, pressure, etc. 

I am thinking it has something to do with the way I wired the starter, but it does start up and runs fine. 

Any suggestions?  So to recap, there were 4 poles, 2 large and 2 smaller.  One of the small poles has the yellow/red wire (as was on the previous starter this way), one of the large poles has the wire from the starter (prewired this way) and the other large pole has 3 wires connected to it (1 large connector/gauge and 2 smaller wires) and one empty small pole. 

Thank you and have a great day!

For that particular engine, the alarm only sounds for low engine oil pressure, low gear oil, and engine over heat. Your engine oil pressure gauge and the engine oil pressure sensor are on different circuits. Thus if the engine oil pressure shows as low during operation, and the alarm is sounding, one can surmise low engine oil pressure is in fact happening.  

One other possiblility is that the float inside the gear oil reservoir no longer floats properly and thus setting off the alarm; have seen that before.

Having said that, I have an intermittent audio alarm that comes on for my 2001 MerCruiser 4.3L carb'd engine. Not a constant beep which the carb'd engines of that time did (either silent or constant) so I think the intermittent short chirping is caused by a wiring issue of some kind. I hated to do it, but it happened enough that I disconnected the horn after looking into the issue for severa hours with our head tech at work and not being able to find the cause. Now I just watch my gauges very closely when driving the boat seeing I don't have an early warning alarm system.

Thank you very much for the reply.  I am glad to know that its not the wiring.  I will double check all the things you mentioned, hopefully its just a float or an easy issue.  I also thought of disconnecting the alarm, which I may end up doing so I can have some peace and quite while boating.   I would certainly keep a close eye on the gauges as well. 

Thanks again!!