41 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, BANG!!! What was that? said:

We went over the records and it had been at least 2 years since the drive was off....only 18 hours of use since but that doesn't matter...what a shame.  If caused by water damage it is on me...what a bummer but lesson learned.  Need a new Volvo transom assembly to get started.  Prices I've seen are north of $5200...and that just for starters before whatever else is broken and then the labor to pull the motor and do the work etc etc...Best local boat shop I know with heavy mechanical capability has been Bergeron Marine for nearly 50 years. 

Any ideas on where to source the parts most economically would be hugely appreciated.

I've found eBay good for a lot of new/used/refurbished Volvo parts. Be sure and look up your part numbers ahead of time.

I would be calling VOLVO directly about the explosion of the drive. Not a acceptable lifespan on yours. They should supply the mechanical parts at least.

5 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I would be calling VOLVO directly about the explosion of the drive. Not a acceptable lifespan on yours. They should supply the mechanical parts at least.

I would not expect anything help from volvo on a 15 year old boat. Look at how they handled the XDP issue...

brick

A B3 is no better built than a DPS. They break too, parts may be more accessible though. I think you`d be better off to keep it stock, unless you replace engine and drive at the same time which is going to get real expensive. I think what happened to you was just a freak incident, probably due to  poor maintenance or a bad u joint or gimbal bearing exploding.

Everyone: grease your d@mn ujoints :D!!! If they aren't greasable, replace them with some that are if they don't fully articulate or have any visible rust. You can get new u joints at any auto atore, just gotta match up the sizes.

30 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Everyone: grease your d@mn ujoints :D!!! If they aren't greasable, replace them with some that are if they don't fully articulate or have any visible rust. You can get new u joints at any auto atore, just gotta match up the sizes.

It is really good point and call ... just the drive is so hard to remove and mount back to do the yearly inspection as a DIY job. The overhanging swim platform does not help at all ... a real challenge for me.

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

It is really good point and call ... just the drive is so hard to remove and mount back to do the yearly inspection as a DIY job. The overhanging swim platform does not help at all ... a real challenge for me.

Yep, have you tried a stand, jack or hoist? The bravo is a bear. I've found if you take the weight off with something you can simply slide on and off on level ground.

I have built a wooden stand on casters. Still, the limited access/height under the swim platform is a back breaking exerciser ... might try to add the a jack to the mix, or the right hoist which would be ideal. The limited access under the swim platform and around my boat will make it difficult to use unless I find one that is compact enough. Food for thought.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:54 PM, drewm3i said:

Grease your u joints and pull your drive to inspect. U joints usually don't just go, they give plenty of warning. If they are going, you can usually hear them rumbling in turns or when the drive is trimmed up.

I wish I understood this comment better.

My boat seems to have a rumbling feeling when going through hard turns.

She is still a relatively new boat for me and I am only used to a prior Alpha 1 and outboard on pontoon boats.

I try not to trim up any higher than 1/4 because of advice I have read.  The difference between full trim in and 1/4 up is quite noticeable when on plane.  Almost feels like a turbo kicking in.

I had the drive pulled at 100 hours to check alignment. was factory perfect.  Never pulled again. 15 years with 210 hours. pulled at that time to replace  a sand filled pump. replaced & sold.

It would appear if you have a good boat. Hours rule on replacement.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

I had the drive pulled at 100 hours to check alignment. was factory perfect.  Never pulled again. 15 years with 210 hours. pulled at that time to replace  a sand filled pump. replaced & sold.

It would appear if you have a good boat. Hours rule on replacement.

Factory Perfect seems to be often far from perfect.  

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, brick said:

I would not expect anything help from volvo on a 15 year old boat. Look at how they handled the XDP issue...

brick

tend to agree.  On a non durable item like a boat I don't see where the manufacture has any sort of commitment or responsibility on something that is 15 years old.  They don't know the history, use, care, etc. Not many companies are going to back something for 15 years, and I don't blame them

4 hours ago, EricGT said:

I wish I understood this comment better.

My boat seems to have a rumbling feeling when going through hard turns.

She is still a relatively new boat for me and I am only used to a prior Alpha 1 and outboard on pontoon boats.

I try not to trim up any higher than 1/4 because of advice I have read.  The difference between full trim in and 1/4 up is quite noticeable when on plane.  Almost feels like a turbo kicking in.

Then you might want to pull the drive to check alignment, your gimbal bearing, and  check your u joints. Excess rumble is not good. If everything is a okay, then grease it all and put it back together.