Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NC-H20

Tower Speakers & Components for a H2O

5 posts in this topic

Bought a H2O a couple of years ago - really enjoying it!  Recently during a "boating" vacation, my kids asked if I would have tower speakers installed.  Currently we have the stock audio system.  Before I reach out to my dealer for options, I thought I would gather some information via the owners forum. 

Could anyone make a suggestion as to a good - moderately priced system (e.g., brand of speakers and the needed components - amps??)? 

Also, has anyone had tower speakers installed on their H2O?  Where were the speakers installed so as not to interfere with the tower bimini?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or guidance you have to offer.

Regards,

First we need to figure out what you expectations are, as in what do the kids want. There are two basic routes you can go. Do you want a speaker that is going to project intelligible music behind the boat while under way so to be heard by a rider in tow? or do you want a speaker thats more for hearing while hanging out behind the boat while anchored. Different type of speakers and typically gets you into two different price ranges. 

Tower type and how the speaker mounts, needs to also be taken into account. Some brands offer dirent mount pods for the composite type towers. Some offer universal clamps that fit most tube sizes. Some offer a swivel clamp, which is good for towers with irregular tube angles or when the boat is in a wet slip and the speakers can be removed and taken home with you.   

We're focusing on being able to listen to music while behind the boat - anchored in a cove and also maybe having a little more sound while underway (not a fan of disturbing others with my music whether I am on a boat or a motorcycle).  I see some boats that have four speakers on the tower and others that have just two.  I assume that I can use my stock radio (the kid's Bluetooth their music from the phones) and therefore need an amp and speakers?

Again, really don't know anything about sound systems so any guidance is useful.  

Thanks

Yes, you can use the existing head unit/radio and yes, an amp is needed to power the tower speakers. 

The difference between 2 and 4 speakers is volume. Its much more efficient (easier) to make a system louder, by adding more speakers as opposed to making it louder with more amp wattage. So the difference between 2 and 4 is quite noticeable.

I would suggest a single pair larger, like an 8" speaker, then 2 pair of smaller, like 6.5" speakers providing head room and bimini clearance is not an issue. Although 2 pair of smaller speakers will play a little louder then a single pair of larger, the larger speaker will sound better than any number of smaller speakers. Cost wise, the single pair of 8" will come in less then 2 pair of smaller 6.5" speaker pods. Win win in my book.

Brands: You get what you pay for in both build quality and sound quality. My two go-to speakers would be the Wet Sounds Icon-8 and the Kicker KM-8 loaded in tower pods. Well built and great sound quality. An amp like the Kicker KXMA400.4 or Wet Sounds HTX-2 Are good choices for a single pair.There are other options, just a couple I trust.