wijeff

Trim tab Installation

21 posts in this topic

Ok I am looking for help on tab location for my 2006 chaparral 235ssi cuddy .

How far from outside edge?   Side

How far down to bottom edge?  Bottom 

I am going with bennett 12x12 electric any one know of a good place to buy from  I have seen 329.99 to 599.99 on line website.  Looking for a place that honors there warranty.

Thanks for your help happy safe boating 

Search this website for installation you will find lots of help, I did the Lenco's on my 256 was a big difference in ride.   You want to get the them out as far as possible.  Follow the direction supplied by the Tab manufacture for location.

I did my installation myself - a DIYer with average to above average skills should be able to do it in a half day. It will take you 2 1/2 hrs to do the first one and 30 minutes to do the second one.

Your tab mfr will have some installation location guidelines - mostly related to placement relative to strakes and the outboard edge of the transom. You want to go as far outboard from the prop as possible to get maximum effect from the tabs and have minimal effect on water flow past the prop and lower unit cooling water intake. 

I chose Lencos but Bennetts are fine as well. If you can afford the extra deer, go for the Bennett equivalent of the Lenco AutoGlide system. You will be glad you did in the long run, especially if you have an Admiral or friends who will drive the boat but may be hard to educate on trim tab dynamics...

if you'll use the search on this site or Google the phrases "Lenco" "AutoGlide" "Keith" and "Chaparral" you will locate my earlier posts of my experience installing my Lencos.  I see that Photobucket is bitching about my photo links, but I don't have time to fix it. Send me a PM and I'll be happy to email you my sketches and photos from my install and share any additional learnings I've had since doing mine.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, wijeff said:

Ok I am looking for help on tab location for my 2006 chaparral 235ssi cuddy .

How far from outside edge?   Side

How far down to bottom edge?  Bottom 

I am going with bennett 12x12 electric any one know of a good place to buy from  I have seen 329.99 to 599.99 on line website.  Looking for a place that honors there warranty.

Thanks for your help happy safe boating 

I believe your main concerns would be distance / clearance from drive, more than the distance from outside edge if keel. I had to mount mine rather inboard, as the swim platform gave no clearance for the 4 pistons to mount. Further inboard you go, the less responsive, but that is a marginal handicap on the larger tabs. The 12x16 hydraulics on my 2550 respond just fine and are smooth as silk. These pictures should give you some idea as to what to consider.

Tom (Tab Man) from Bennett frequents this site and is second to none when it comes to supporting his company's products. Wish all companies had a rep like Tom.

He did it for me with some parts for free for my 12 x 16 Sport Tabs I installed that had absolutely nothing to do with any warranty. I just had to pay for shipping.

2017-08-09_031938.jpg

2017-08-09_032233.jpg

13 hours ago, Pops said:

I believe your main concerns would be distance / clearance from drive, more than the distance from outside edge if keel. I had to mount mine rather inboard, as the swim platform gave no clearance for the 4 pistons to mount. Further inboard you go, the less responsive, but that is a marginal handicap on the larger tabs. The 12x16 hydraulics on my 2550 respond just fine and are smooth as silk. These pictures should give you some idea as to what to consider.

Tom (Tab Man) from Bennett frequents this site and is second to none when it comes to supporting his company's products. Wish all companies had a rep like Tom.

He did it for me with some parts for free for my 12 x 16 Sport Tabs I installed that had absolutely nothing to do with any warranty. I just had to pay for shipping.

2017-08-09_031938.jpg

2017-08-09_032233.jpg

Wow that is exactly why I have the questions that diagram answers everything for me thank you so much

1 minute ago, wijeff said:

Wow that is exactly why I have the questions that diagram answers everything for me thank you so much

In figure two what is the measurement at the back of the straight edge 1 inch or 1 1/4 it shows in the diagram can you explain that to me

For Jeff's installation I would recommend 12 x 12 tabs. The diagram shown above is for our ST17 sport tabs and is not what we are recommending.

There are the drawings for those:

24761060112_f3e7a5f365_z.jpgboltmount

35964615751_2aca4faf4a_b.jpgBolt Act

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine

21 hours ago, Tab man said:

And due to the swim platform on his boat we are recommending our 1212ED edge mount Tabs to reduce the vertical clearance needed:

27857726745_fce8ab4ae8_z.jpg1212ed

36425017736_73638f01c2_z.jpgBOLT1212ED

Tom

Bennett Marine

I can vouch for this.

So what diagram do I use for the proper or ideal location sorry for all the questions I just want to drill into my hull one time thanks for all input and help 

Both diagrams show the outside edge of the tab about an 3-4 inches from the outside. The distance from the bottom up, one says 1/8 the other say 1/4. You just don't want them below the bunkhead.

Thank you for everything you have help me make my mind on this and now I feel confident that this will be an easy installation for me now thanks again 

15 hours ago, EricGT said:

I can vouch for this.

Eric, where did you mount the tab control/switch on your 236?

On 8/9/2017 at 7:19 PM, Tab man said:

And due to the swim platform on his boat we are recommending our 1212ED edge mount Tabs to reduce the vertical clearance needed

Tom, I have a '07 236ssx, so I'm assuming I would need the same tabs as mentioned above. However, I was hoping to install hydraulic tabs. Do you have a part number for that set up. I'm having difficulty getting the correct tabs quoted to me in my area.

Thanks,

Steve 

On 8/11/2017 at 8:26 AM, Waterfun said:

Eric, where did you mount the tab control/switch on your 236?

Just me personally, but I would go with the newer Bolt version over older style hydraulic system from Bennett.

Appears from your above picture that you have the original dash design that had the round analog gauges. Not a lot of options really. Probably to the right of the steering console.

maxresdefault.jpg

For the 2008 and later models that used the square digital gauges, I would recommend removing the fake upper right gauge, and doing a custom install for the optional Bolt controller with indicator. Would take some work, but would provide the best working and most functional layout. Just my thoughts.

l_236ssxdash.jpg

BOLT-Helm-Keypad-with-Indication.jpg

One of the reasons why I am going to the autotrim pro controls as it will set tab for me and return to the up position when turned off .

I know there expensive but not the hassle is worth the money not to have to keep an eye on tabs position just my two cents 

so far lowest price is hodges marine 323.17  tabs   ATP switch 398.24 

23 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

For the 2008 and later models that used the square digital gauges, I would recommend removing the fake upper right gauge, and doing a custom install for the optional Bolt controller with indicator. Would take some work, but would provide the best working and most functional layout. Just my thoughts.

Yes, that would be perfect but unfortunately you are correct in saying that my configuration is the first picture. The only reason I wanted hydraulic is because I thought they were more robust and last longer than electric. I was quoted $1349.00 for the ST12 kit. Seems unreasonable.

I can 100% vouch for the Bennett tabs.  We just spent the weekend in OCMD in varying weather conditions and with several people moving around the boat.  It's almost a bit scary when I over compensate with the trim tabs and how suddenly they change the angle of the boat.  They are extremely effective!

If you look on the second picture with the square gauges from Shepherd1.  My control is mounted below the black sticker behind the steering wheel.  I do however have the console in the first picture.