Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Knappster 4918

Help alarm sounding constantly

4 posts in this topic

any suggestions, I went out the other day and alarm would not stop. I checked engine oil it's perfect, engine temp was not the issue since I just started the boat, drive lube looked good. Once I gave it some throttle the alarm stopped, but when I turned it real sharp alarm sounded then went off. I shut the boat off when I pulled into the dock, started it once more to go back out and alarm sounded again. I have had issues with my throttle very hard to push down and can not find neutral sometimes could this be the issue with the alarm sounding new to baiting and very frustrated 

1 hour ago, Knappster 4918 said:

any suggestions, I went out the other day and alarm would not stop. I checked engine oil it's perfect, engine temp was not the issue since I just started the boat, drive lube looked good. Once I gave it some throttle the alarm stopped, but when I turned it real sharp alarm sounded then went off. I shut the boat off when I pulled into the dock, started it once more to go back out and alarm sounded again. I have had issues with my throttle very hard to push down and can not find neutral sometimes could this be the issue with the alarm sounding new to baiting and very frustrated 

Low raw water pressure at idle it would seem. Failing sensor, or time for a raw water pump service to include new impeller and careful housing inspection. The constant alarm situation is a short list of possibilities, which do not include shift cables and linkage. That one is mechanical.     W

That's the crazy part of it all. I had the whole out drive serviced including new impellers installed at beginning of the season. Thanks for the input maybe time to take it to the shop

20 hours ago, Knappster 4918 said:

That's the crazy part of it all. I had the whole out drive serviced including new impellers installed at beginning of the season. Thanks for the input maybe time to take it to the shop

What you're describing certainly sounds like a faulty water pressure sensor for a 2001 and new MPI equipped MerCruiser. Classic symptom.

However, if you have a 1995 1930 SS, than I would guess your engine is carbureted. In such a case, you would only have audio alarm sound for:

- low engine oil pressure, low gear oil level in reservoir, and engine overheating

If everything looks good, and you have a carb'd MerCruiser, than first thing I'd look at is the float in the gear oil reservoir. Typically fastest way to test is to get a new gear oil reservoir. Leaving it empty of gear oil, connect the wires, and place the new empty gear oil reservoir upside down and go for a test drive. The new gear oil reservoir being upside down of course shows the alarm system that the float is in the desired position, while the old reservoir still has gear oil to help maintain the correct level.

Failing that, and with the problem occuring at slower speeds, my next guess would be a faulty or partially plugged engine oil pressure sensor. When RPM rises past a certain point, maybe the sensor can 'see' required oil pressure (not to be confused with the oil pressure sender which supplies oil pressure info to your dash gauge) Oil pressure sensor for the audio alarm system and the oil pressure sender for the dash oil pressure gauge are on separate circuits.

Item # 12 in the picture below is the oil pressure sensor for the audio alarm system. Mercury / Quicksilver part # 805605A1

Image result for 805605a1

38746.GIF