dgtahoe

impeller replacement

11 posts in this topic

2012 chaparral 264 sunesta 8.2 impeller replacement how to do it I was told I have to pull the engine any other ideas?

if its a Volvo its right on front, 10min job 20 dollar part.  if its a merc non alpha drive engine should be on the left front lower.  depending on access a 30min job and 20 dollar part.

It takes me less than 2 hours by myself on my merc. First time it took 2 of us almost 4.

The down side to that boat is access to the lower starboard side of the motor. First I'd get help from a buddy. Then unhook the hatch from the lift and prop it open another 2 feet. Figure out how to get to it, you might have to remove the riser to get to it.

Anyone seen a good video link for replacing one on a 350 Mag Merc?  I watched a few but they were on pulled engines and wondered if any resources out there for engines in the boat. 

twin 6.2`s in a Formula , easy to get to and change

twin 5,7 Bluewater Inboards  slightly difficult ,but manageable

On 8/9/2017 at 9:46 AM, dgtahoe said:

2012 chaparral 264 sunesta 8.2 impeller replacement how to do it I was told I have to pull the engine any other ideas?

Get a second opinion

On 8/9/2017 at 9:46 AM, dgtahoe said:

I don't think you'll have to remove the engine; no doubt it will be a tight fit.

Recommend removing the Gen III cool fuel module above the seawater pump to make access easier and faster. Found a video showing a MerCruiser small block V8 that will be quite similar in nature. NOTE: ensure you first find and disconnect the gray and green air pump hoses that drain the seawater pump for your 8.2L Mag - engine in video was not equipped with this option. Push in on fittings # 21 in the picture below to remove and install the air hoses again.

At any rate, if you find the internal brass housings are badly grooved, I would recommend replacing with a ss Hardin Marine Gen 7 aftermarket kit with the pulley installed. This kit uses the older Bravo 59362T style impeller. Far superior to the OEM pump IMHO. If you were to go with a Hardin kit, you would retain item # 10

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16817-stainless-steel-gen-7-sea-pump-for-mercury-350-mag-496-mag-ho-82l-mag-and-502-mag-with-pulley.aspx

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31939/16012/220

45011.gif

On 8/11/2017 at 6:30 PM, Ksupaul said:

Anyone seen a good video link for replacing one on a 350 Mag Merc?  I watched a few but they were on pulled engines and wondered if any resources out there for engines in the boat. 

Ksupaul,

I did not do a video but did just replace an impeller on one of our 350 Mag MPI motors.  I had never done an impeller and the marine service parts store guys were a big help.  I did end up replacing the impeller housing and the impeller itself.  Our 350s have the plastic impeller housing and the failure caused a crack in the housing.  2 9/16 bolts hold the entire assembly in place via a bracket.  Be sure to mark the top and bottom hoses before you remove them.  On ours the top was the outflow and bottom was inflow.  If the boat is in the water when you do the work, be sure to  have a plug ready for the intake hose.  I used a 3" long section of 1" ID PVC with a cap glued on.  Fit right inside the hose and stopped the water from coming in while I worked.  Getting the new impeller into the new housing was a PITA until I inserted the keyed shaft from the pulley assembly and rotated the impeller with the pulley as it went in the housing.   Overall I am guessing it was a 40 minute job.  Not bad considering I had never done one.  Next time I am guessing it can be done in 30 minutes.

This is great to hear. You confirmed my thoughts when I look at and say, can't be too bad!!  I appreciate it Wolfsong. Had my boat only a full year, so this off season is going to be several maintenance items I will do myself: the W word, change engine oil and drive lube, grease it up, change impeller, fuel filter, etc. no issues but not sure when things have been done. So get them done now so I know. And before problems arise!!

10 hours ago, Wolfsong said:

Ksupaul,

I did not do a video but did just replace an impeller on one of our 350 Mag MPI motors.  I had never done an impeller and the marine service parts store guys were a big help.  I did end up replacing the impeller housing and the impeller itself.  Our 350s have the plastic impeller housing and the failure caused a crack in the housing.  2 9/16 bolts hold the entire assembly in place via a bracket.  Be sure to mark the top and bottom hoses before you remove them.  On ours the top was the outflow and bottom was inflow.  If the boat is in the water when you do the work, be sure to  have a plug ready for the intake hose.  I used a 3" long section of 1" ID PVC with a cap glued on.  Fit right inside the hose and stopped the water from coming in while I worked.  Getting the new impeller into the new housing was a PITA until I inserted the keyed shaft from the pulley assembly and rotated the impeller with the pulley as it went in the housing.   Overall I am guessing it was a 40 minute job.  Not bad considering I had never done one.  Next time I am guessing it can be done in 30 minutes.