Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SST

Thinking ahead-winterizing gasoline

19 posts in this topic

For the first 7 years, I have been using Valvtech marine gas at the marina. It is already treated. But this year is the first year that I have exclusively used autogas-87/E10.

Which would be better for me to do......Top the tank with autogas E10 [less expensive] and put Stabil in or top the tank with non-ethanol gas and leave it alone. 

A third option is run the tank low and on the last run fill it with Valvtech. But that is EXPENSIVE. 3.59/gal vs 2.39 auto.

best bet is to store with non ethanol fuel.  if you use e10 then definitely stabil.  Non ethanol fuel using stabil is a toss up,  I always did it but thought it was a waste of money

I have never really used any winter stabilizer in 75 years. I run a engine dry. E or non E. Never had to repair anything.

Old equipment. But it still starts easy & runs great.

running dry is another method,  wouldn't recommend on newer engines, but on an old carb engine would be fine as well

When preparing the boat to have the filler line installed, it took forever for it to run dry. Actually, it didn't run dry. I gave up and syphoned it instead.

Filling it up is easier.

Loaded Question

Some store full some don't. This is what I do. Whats in it is in it, Non or 10% Ethonal. Some times its 1/2 full most times it's > 1/4. I just add Stabil. Clean it and store it.

Mine will sit from now till June. It gets w_______ized in Oct.

Dude its still August........:boating:

A university ran a ALL WINTER test of the heat & cooling sucking in moisture. It was with a 1/4 full tank. The results were a complete surprise to all.  Almost no measurable water in the tank.  So That was all I needed to sleep well every winter.  The only thing that DOES occur is EVAPORATION of the LIGHTEST liquids in the gasoline over time. A lowering of the Octane available next spring. It does NOT affect NORMAL  non racing boat engines next boat season.      Think about how MILLIONS of boaters around the world who have ............NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ANYTHING BEING DISCUSSED............... Nor will they pay to even have it done.  EVER............ Their boats keep running every year after winter.

There would be millions of dead boats around the world.

The only REAL DANGER is WATER GETTING INTO    E 10  gasoline tanks somehow.  Causing a jelly to block everything from running correctly.

4 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

A university ran a ALL WINTER test of the heat & cooling sucking in moisture. It was with a 1/4 full tank. The results were a complete surprise to all.  Almost no measurable water in the tank.  So That was all I needed to sleep well every winter.  The only thing that DOES occur is EVAPORATION of the LIGHTEST liquids in the gasoline over time. A lowering of the Octane available next spring. It does NOT affect NORMAL  non racing boat engines next boat season.      Think about how MILLIONS of boaters around the world who have ............NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ANYTHING BEING DISCUSSED............... Nor will they pay to even have it done.  EVER............ Their boats keep running every year after winter.

There would be millions of dead boats around the world.

The only REAL DANGER is WATER GETTING INTO    E 10  gasoline tanks somehow.  Causing a jelly to block everything from running correctly.

like I said above stabil is scam.  Even water gets into the gas, its not like stabil will make it disappear. 

Hey Harry.

Yeah ?

Did you close the big vent cap on top of the big storage tank ? Last week ?  We had that long rain storm.

I only use www.seafoamsales.com  stuff as  a fuel system cleaner. To get rid of junk build up anywhere in the engine.  From gas tank to build up on cylinder valves.  I have Moved pistons to TDC & filled it up to break down varnish on cylinder, valves & piston rings.

I have paid the tuition of many Sea Foam executives children.  Worth every penny compared to tear downs & rebuilds over a lifetime of engines.  2 stroke engines really need Sea Foam with the oils being burned in the engine.  Funny how clean the sparkplugs stay in almost new condition when I do the "" Add a little extra oil. ""  My 2 strokes are 1985 ? & 1990.

I just checked with Sea Foam about it removing WATER from gasoline in a tank.  IT WILL NOT REMOVE WATER.  He did say there is way to much UNFOUNDED FEAR ABOUT water getting into good working gas tanks. 

Piece of cake guys.   Sleep a lot more rest full.

Keep the gas caps on & check the gasket on it for  cracks.

Note

My Accord " check gas cap " code popped up.  PANIC ?  A little. Looked perfect. Bought a new one from NAPA $ 11.80+ tax.  Light went out in 20 miles. Beats a dealer wanting $145 .

I would go with the Valvtech. Also, add the cost of the stabilizer if you used the other gas. REMEMBER, the Valvtech is blended for marine use. There is more than one type of stabilizer. Or I should say for water, separation and storage. Pump it in and forget it. No measuring.       

Valvtect Marine Gasoline Vs. Automotive Gasoline  

Just fill the tank, add Stabil and enjoy your frosty winter.It's not rocket science. Whatever you have done in the past has worked so why worry.

Store it full of fuel and add Stabil to give you peace of mind.  

Personally I haven't had a problem with the ethanol yet on any of my boats.  I just got done changing fuel filters in injector filters on a 2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI outboard and they all looked brand new.  

8 minutes ago, jfkirby said:

move south and burn gas year round :)

What a novel idea............... 

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

What a novel idea............... 

3 hours ago, jfkirby said:

move south and burn gas year round :)

:beat-dead-horse::beat-dead-horse: