Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roady68

Washing Boat while docked in slip

17 posts in this topic

I noticed the owner of a boat near ours washing his boat the other day.  I didn't think too much of it until last night when we got the slip and noticed how cruddy ours was getting.  We get a lot of road grim and dust int he air that is making streaks from the water running running off the deck at the railings and other deck fittings.  Also, bird and spider poop is in a few spots.  What do you use to wash this?  Is there an instant detailer I could use that will clean it up and add a protectant?  Do you use soap and water?  Is there en environmentally friendly soap?  How about adding a coat of wax?  Just looking to see what members here do.

I use a citrus boat wash that is biodegradable and a brush on an aluminum pole that extends.  We have water at the dock so easy to rinse.  Looks great when done.

I use ICE Turtle wash & wax it is biodegradable. It leaves the black side spotless and cuts the spider spots. I have a soft brush on a pole for scrubbing and shammy mop on a pole for drying. A lot of folks are going to say don't use auto wash, but have used it for years and it seems to work.

I just use a brush and lake water to wash it off when slipped, about everyother day. Some use viniger and water.

l use Marine Spray 9 on all vinyl and fiberglass with a microfiber cloth. On the vinyl I then follow with spraying water and microfiber cloth, and finally 404 aerospace protectant. Every other week we'll anchor in shallow water and reach under with a scouring pad to get the outside where the algae starts accumulating. Twice a summer pull out of water and clean entire hull with Marine Spray 9 which will get it looking like new then follow up with Rejex wipe on wax which makes it much easier to get the green stuff off the bottom.

The anti fouling product I use to use doesn't appear to be available. Searched for it but nothing. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I used but would recognize it if I saw it. It was like applying wax to your car. It didn't really prevent growth but it slowed it down and it made it much easier to remove. 

As for cleaning the hull, I would take it to Buckhorn State Park where there is a very shallow shelf. Anchor the boat and either use an extended brush and scrub while standing beside the boat or get a pad and go under the boat and scrub by hand. It never bothered me to scrub by hand. It was kinda zen.

I have always used Boat Soap on mine. 

As for spiders, I used this product. Nasty stuff but it works. Do not inhale this product or your dead meat!  Not kidding. I caught a big wif one night and even though I saw my chest moving, no oxygen was being taken in. Pretty scary. It will keep the spiders dead for a week. 

I use full covering boat covers after every use. Really reduces cleaning.

2 hours ago, SST said:

As for spiders, I used this product. Nasty stuff but it works. Do not inhale this product or your dead meat!  Not kidding. I caught a big wif one night and even though I saw my chest moving, no oxygen was being taken in. Pretty scary. It will keep the spiders dead for a week. 

?

4 hours ago, SST said:

Pretty scary. It will keep the spiders dead for a week. 

LOL ... and people, for a day?!

No E P A . No spiders or insects. Anywhere on earth.  Neat.  No crops or flowers.  Go for it.

I use boat soap, a soft brush on a pole and lake water.  Then dry with a microfiber towel.  Works well but some of the black streaks are so hard to get off the white it takes rubbing it with wax.

I always used Starbrite Non Skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF on the bow of the boat because it works well at removing spider crap, plus it leaves a protective coating on the non skid. I just scrubbed it on, let sit for 5 minutes, then scrub again and rinse. I used the citrus soap for the remainder of the boat with a wool pad, never a brush. Over the years a brush will damage the gel coat appearance.

9 hours ago, Richard W said:

LOL ... and people, for a day?!

What I meant by that is that no new spiders will enter the cabin for at least a week.

I knew what you meant, just sounded funny ... :)

What's the name of this repellent? (edit: TERRO, got it after reading your other posts)

I have used Home Defense MAX by ORTHO, only once. It works well and lasts for a few months but is as toxic and smelly as the one you described. Smells like a combinatation of heavy petroleum product and hospital used disinfectants ... even the neighbors on the next dock could smell it. Crazy stuff.

there is a full line of products called "boat babes" that are environmentally correct and work well

If you are looking for some natural stuff to keep spidey away, essential oils (EucalyptusCitronellaLavenderPeppermintTea TreeCinnamonCitrusCedar

on the lines will keep them from boarding that way.  Put the formula below in a spray bottle and hit the lines.  Smells good too.

• 5-10 Drops of any of the above essential oils or a combination of the oils
  • ¼ tsp Dish Soap
  • 12oz of Distilled Water