Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRUCE J BEEGAL

5.o volvo penta gxi-b RPM's

8 posts in this topic

Would like some info on RPM on a 5.0 volvo penta gxi-b what is the highest rpm you can go and what should the sweet spot be rpm TY.

Thanks the max i can do is 4700 and the sweet spot is 3800 

I thought i should be able to get it to 5500 rpm but i cant 

Is the any adjustments on this???

As soldier4402 said, the V-P spec for full throttle RPM is 4600-5000 RPM.  This has a good spec list:

http://www.boattest.com/oem/3211316/engines/230016/0/off

After re-propping mine down from a 19 to a 17, I have found that the 5.0 GXI starts to run out of breath near the top of that RPM range and seems to make the best high-RPM torque in the 4600-4800 space.  Above 4800 you can definitely feel the torque fall off a bit.  This makes sense, given the engine's roots and head/cam design.  It's not a motor designed to be a screamer.

yeah your not turning 5500 with that.  4700 is fine.  range is just that,  you got prop, load, etc.  when they say 5000 im not sure if that's one guy, theoretical etc.  My guess is the rpm range is more or less what the engine can do on a stand not in your actual boat, as that same power pack say in a regal will be the same.

My old fountain I had actually had the spec sheet from a test drive where it annotated a bunch of stuff including that,  at least back in the day Reggie test drove all of them and signed the test drive spec sheet.  pretty cool.

Sounds like you are propped just right. Your motor is NOT designed to turn 5500RPM @ WOT. Rev limiter would kick in long before. And if you somehow could get to 5500, it would not last for long. Unlike outboard motors, sterndrives historically have been automotive based blocks, marinized by Volvo or Merc. They are not designed for continuous WOT duty cycles.

brick