Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wijeff

what type boat anchor do you prefer

8 posts in this topic

Standard fluke is what came with my boat . Bottom is mostly weeds and muddy 

+1 Fortress.

Bottom weedy and muddy ... +2 Fortress, it cuts thru weeds and does not plug on them like Delta or other plow anchors do. Brings back much much less mud when pulled out, and the mud slides easily from anodized aluminum ... just dunk it a few times before bringing it on deck.

... and what anchor you use to troll?

My boat came with a Delta on the bow roller, and it's done amazingly well in the largely muddy bottom of the lake we frequent.  Our backup is a Fortress FX-7 that was the primary on our old boat.  With the flukes set up for mud, and 6' of heavy stainless steel chain as the leader, it also holds very well.

One thing we've found with both styles is that a good amount of chain leader has a huge positive impact on setting/holding.

The 20-30 feet of chain and 5:1 to 7:1 scope is expected for most anchors to hold well.

Here is our Delta bringing back a bit of the bottom ... sea salad served. Once it started to drag it would not reset itself nor was I able to set it again until the ball of weeds was cleaned up ... a long serrated bread knife was invaluable in clearing this mess, an exciting job on a windy and rainy night.

The Fortress does not collect the weeds same way, very little if any by the time it is brought to the surface. It can reset itself or you can set it again without the need to bring it out for cleaning.

page7-1003-full.jpg

I prefer the box anchor.  You throw it out and forget it. No need for chain or trying to get it to stick.  Our lake bottom is mostly clay and we had a terrible time getting other anchors to work. The box anchor works every time.