Ingalp01

Pet peeve about tubing

38 posts in this topic

I just wanted to vent about something and see if it's just me, or do some of my fellow boaters feel the same way. 

When I take my kids and their friends tubing, I tend to head to an isolated finger of the lake or a cove off the main channel and do my tubing there. Keep in mind my "kids" are 18, 21 & 24 and they and their friends don't consider it successful tubing if they don't get thrown off the tube! Anyways, I like to do my tubing away from a lot of traffic.

HOWEVER, I see LOTS of people dragging their kids around as they travel north or south through the main channel. Lake Lanier in Georgia is a big lake, but there are several areas where it's narrow and receives a lot of traffic in the main channel, and I hate seeing people dragging their tubes while they travel. Sometimes you have no choice but to be lined up bow to stern with many boats and these guys are just dragging tubes through there! Then IF you happen to get within 100 yards of their tube (in the main channel) they try to wave you off like you're trying to mow down their kids on purpose! 

I'm not the one who decided to put my kids on the tube and then "travel" 12 miles with them hanging out behind the boat.

Am I the one who's weird in this scenario?

Get them on the VHF radio (good luck) and negotiate a pass.

Use the horn signals to negotiate a pass (good luck, you might see a bird in return). 

Or when safe, maneuver your boat onto a parallel cours to indicate your intension, increase speed and start passing carefully. Give them a wide berth, as wide as the conditions allow. I would still use the horn to get their attention and confirm my intension.

That's lake boating for you...or ICW boating. You are correct they're being stupid.

6 hours ago, Parker said:

Maybe go around them?

When it's safe and the traffic allows, I do pass them, I just think it's silly to tube in the main channel...

5 hours ago, Richard W said:

Get them on the VHF radio (good luck) and negotiate a pass.

Use the horn signals to negotiate a pass (good luck, you might see a bird in return). 

Or when safe, maneuver your boat onto a parallel cours to indicate your intension, increase speed and start passing carefully. Give them a wide berth, as wide as the conditions allow. I would still use the horn to get their attention and confirm my intension.

True on all points and as above, I do eventually get around them... I have definitely seen the one finger salute when using the horn as a signaling device. LOL...

I've seen people towing their kids on the river, through the channel markers and out into Lake Huron, with all kinds of traffic going in & out!! Why would you put your kids at risk like that? You're not weird Ingalp01, they are stupid.

It's a "me" mentality thing. Their only concerned about me and they should have the right of way and me me me. Common sense is not common anymore unfortunately. 

I see this frequently on Allatoona. I don't allow the kids to tube in high traffic areas. It just isn't safe. There are plenty of smaller areas to tube the kids in with minimal to no traffic. 

Now that school is back in though, I'll be "forced" to boat on the weekends where typically I tried to go out during the week. 

The lake we're usually on has some unwritten rules when it's busy--skiers stick to a certain area, tubers stick to a couple areas, fishermen to others.  Most of the regulars know the conventions and stick to them.  It drives me nuts when I see someone pulling their kids on a tube (1/2 the time without a spotter) through the high-speed/high-traffic areas, given that at any minute a boat or two could come flying through at 50-60 mph.  

It's obvious to see what activities are taking place where, and it boggles the mind that people just think that everyone's magically going to give them room.

It takes all kinds.  Fisherman, skiiers, tubers, PWC's, crusiers, seen it all.  You got stupidy, but you also have a situation that is what it is at times.

You Can`t fix STUPID but on the plus side,if something tragic does happen they can`t contribute to the gene pool.

Another agree here.  All it takes is for a kid to fall off and the boat behind them not notice.  If we're tubing and I have somebody get behind me, I'm slowing down and pulling over to one side to let them go by.  I'm not concerned about me (I don't follow tubing or skiing boats), but I do see others tubing in the narrow channel with other boaters of unknown education level following.  Cringe every time.

2 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

You Can`t fix STUPID but on the plus side,if something tragic does happen they can`t contribute to the gene pool.

The stupid people have already contributed to the gene pool. Not sure I see a plus side to a kid getting run over?

4 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

It's a "me" mentality thing. Their only concerned about me and they should have the right of way and me me me. Common sense is not common anymore unfortunately.

This sums it up pretty well ... from "boomer" to "me" society to "me-millennial" majority that think they know everything because they can google it, no plans, no prep, just do it or not, we'll see. Can't wait to see the end results ... and the boomers need to blame themselves, that includes me ... but I digress ... 

Ingalp01,

Fellow Lanier boater here.  We are on the north end ( full of snakes, alligators, devil catfish and the occasional murderous gar so stay away all you southenders!  ) and we see the same thing.  2-3 young kids (10-12 and younger ) being pulled in the dead center of the channel.  On a weekend.  At 25 MPH! With boats and jet skiers riding their wakes.  We stopped taking pics a long time ago.  It is a wonder more accidents do not happen or if they do they are not reported. 

13 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

Ingalp01,

Fellow Lanier boater here.  We are on the north end ( full of snakes, alligators, devil catfish and the occasional murderous gar so stay away all you southenders!  ) and we see the same thing.  2-3 young kids (10-12 and younger ) being pulled in the dead center of the channel.  On a weekend.  At 25 MPH! With boats and jet skiers riding their wakes.  We stopped taking pics a long time ago.  It is a wonder more accidents do not happen or if they do they are not reported. 

I definitely prefer the north end of the lake for my boating activities! I've been north of Hwy. 53 and found Longwood park the other day and a couple quiet coves. I still haven't been north of Hwy. 60 though. Been south as far as hidden harbor and Fish Tales, which if you want to eat at Pelican Pete's or Pig Tales, the south end is cool, but the channel is overcrowded, choppy and you have those previously mentioned tubers! I'd really rather have a picnic in a quiet cove up north. If you know of any "destinations" or restaurants on the north end of the lake I should check out, let me know. Thanks!

We live on the water on Thompson Creek.  Athens Boat Club is a local  private marina but you can fuel up there as long as you do not make a wake pulling in to the gas docks.  They have restrooms and a small snack vending area.  No restaurant ( seems like one would do well up here ).

Nick's Island is a fun local hangout.  Can be crowded on the main beach but there are 6-7 other smaller beach areas and several coves that we like to drop anchor in.  We are loving our new to us '99 2835 SE Cuddy and want to get out and meet more "lake friends".

22 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

We live on the water on Thompson Creek.  Athens Boat Club is a local  private marina but you can fuel up there as long as you do not make a wake pulling in to the gas docks.  They have restrooms and a small snack vending area.  No restaurant ( seems like one would do well up here ).

Nick's Island is a fun local hangout.  Can be crowded on the main beach but there are 6-7 other smaller beach areas and several coves that we like to drop anchor in.  We are loving our new to us '99 2835 SE Cuddy and want to get out and meet more "lake friends".

Cool, we're just south of Gainesville Marina and usually put in at Little Hall Park. We too are loving our new to us 99 2330 SS and after this weekend, we'll be "empty nesters". This will be our last weekend with our youngest daughter and her friends on the lake before she heads off to college. 

Maybe we can make plans to meet on the water sometime before the season ends. We're also looking for some "lake friends"

Hey brick, had my brother show me around West Point the other day. Spent about 4 hours cruising around. Brought a GPS. Over 83 miles traveled. Marked a few nice spots and also managed to get up to 52 mph with just me and 1/4 tank of gas at 4800 rpm. Been a long time since I've ran around that lake. 

What day were you there? We like West Point, as it is close and not too busy, and no large boats. We usually put in at yellow jacket. Let me know if you head down our way again...

brick

my personal favorite was when these people thought it was ok to use the courteously dock at the ramp as a staging area and proceed to pull their kids on a tube at full power in the no wake zone 

4 hours ago, brick said:

What day were you there? We like West Point, as it is close and not too busy, and no large boats. We usually put in at yellow jacket. Let me know if you head down our way again...

brick

When I lived on the southside, West Point was my go to! Since we're only a mile from a ramp on Lanier that's where we go. Spent a good bit of today up on the north end and it was quiet and smooth! 

The most dangerous thing I ever saw was a trampoline installed on the bow portion of a pontoon boat -- and four kids jumping on the trampoline with the pontoon boat underway.