Ingalp01

Pet peeve about tubing

38 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Parents are having a nasty divorce and neither want the kids ?

LOL...:D:lol::D

I'm a newer boater. We spend most weekend on Allatoona. Went to Lanier a couple weeks ago and it gets the 1st prize trophy for idiots. Seen a few on Allatoona also (mostly the rental boats). When tubing with our kids we stick to quiet areas with as little traffic as possible. 

I see this all the time.  Doesn't really bother me.  Funny thing is in my state pulling a tube driving in the manner you describe is actually illegal.  Silly I know because everyone does it but was in the manual when my boy was taking his boaters testing training.  

On 8/11/2017 at 6:09 AM, Waterfun said:

I've seen people towing their kids on the river, through the channel markers and out into Lake Huron, with all kinds of traffic going in & out!! Why would you put your kids at risk like that? You're not weird Ingalp01, they are stupid.

Ya, the only ones that are dumber, are the fishermen standing up on their Bass Boats in the middle the mid channel, coming in to the St. Clair River from Lake St. Clair.

They get the ride of their lives when the Queen Mary goes through there.

Denny.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, ColdOne said:

I agree there are a LOT of people out there w/ little or no common sense!

There are boaters, people who have boats, and people who rent boats.

The second 2, far out number the first group, and while we are at it, don't leave the fishermen out of the mix.

That is why I am thankful to have The Great Lakes all to myself Monday thru Friday.

There a lot of benefits to being old and retired.  Denny.

IMG_3132_zpssp5aezru.jpg

InGalp,

Sounds fun.  We are up for a cruise just about any time.  Our kids are 26 ad 22.  When our daughter moved out we decided to just say the heck with it and move to the lake!  She found us though! :rolleyes:  We are new to the cruiser/power boat world and having a ball with dinner and sunset cruises.  Much wider range on a boat that will cruise comfortably at 30+.  We are going to do a daytime ride to check out the eclipse on the 21st. 

22 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

InGalp,

Sounds fun.  We are up for a cruise just about any time.  Our kids are 26 ad 22.  When our daughter moved out we decided to just say the heck with it and move to the lake!  She found us though! :rolleyes:  We are new to the cruiser/power boat world and having a ball with dinner and sunset cruises.  Much wider range on a boat that will cruise comfortably at 30+.  We are going to do a daytime ride to check out the eclipse on the 21st. 

Cool, I'll PM you sometime. We're moving our youngest into her dorm this coming weekend, and then I'm having surgery on the 24th. (Meniscus) I should be off crutches in a few weeks and will have another month off work for recovery. Days and weekends will be wide open...

When I take my kids and their friends tubing, I tend to head to an isolated finger of the lake or a cove off the main channel and do my tubing there.

Same.

One of my pet peeves are the ones that are approaching me while I am underway, then they decide to do "donuts" or circles in front of me which puts me into a situation where I have avoid them or bring my vessel to a stop until I can maneuver past them safely.

Ingalp01,

Wow.  Way too much in common.  I had my knee done about 3 months ago.  Also meniscus.  Procedure was a breeze.  3 days of real "down and out" and then steady improvement.  PT is a must.  Do the exercises and push yourself ( after talking with physical therapist about good vs. bad pain and tension in the joint ).   I am back to 100% range of motion and 95-97% strength in the knee.  It would be 100% strength but this new boat has me spending time at the dock and on the water instead of in the gym!

32 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

Ingalp01,

Wow.  Way too much in common.  I had my knee done about 3 months ago.  Also meniscus.  Procedure was a breeze.  3 days of real "down and out" and then steady improvement.  PT is a must.  Do the exercises and push yourself ( after talking with physical therapist about good vs. bad pain and tension in the joint ).   I am back to 100% range of motion and 95-97% strength in the knee.  It would be 100% strength but this new boat has me spending time at the dock and on the water instead of in the gym!

That is crazy and good to hear on the recovery! I've had both shoulders and one biceps tendon done previously, so I'm definitely familiar with PT and have a good guy in Flowery Branch. I hear you on the gym thing too! My gym is in my garage, but have definitely neglected some Gym time in lieu of Lake time, plus trying not to do anymore damage to the knee! (Yeah, that's my excuse!) LOL...

There are way too many people that get a boat and have absolutely ZERO training or education on the rules of boating.  No excuses for not taking training when you think of the damage a non educated boater can do.  I have seen far too many idiots out piloting boats.