rbe1018

AC help

I have a 2012 310 and have a problem I need help sorting out. I am constantly getting an HPF code. Thought we were to close to bunks on lift and it was cutting off water flow but that's not the problem. Coil is clean, it had a mesh prefilter that was very dirty as well as return air grill was a bit dirty too. Cleaned them and still have issue. Sometimes it happens quickly then others it works right for a couple of hours. Sometimes it HPF's when the unit cycles off and tries to come back on. What do I check next? 

How do you know it is not a water flow problem?  Did you measure the water flow?  If so, what is the rate you are getting?  Have you checked that the related seacocks are fully open and the strainers are all clean?  Water flow and/or fouling of the condenser coil would be the primary cause of a high pressure fault.  

Or the tubular water heat exchanger tubes.  Wingnuts selection sometimes.  Tubes can get slime or mollusks

6 hours ago, rbe1018 said:

I have a 2012 310 and have a problem I need help sorting out. I am constantly getting an HPF code. Thought we were to close to bunks on lift and it was cutting off water flow but that's not the problem. Coil is clean, it had a mesh prefilter that was very dirty as well as return air grill was a bit dirty too. Cleaned them and still have issue. Sometimes it happens quickly then others it works right for a couple of hours. Sometimes it HPF's when the unit cycles off and tries to come back on. What do I check next?

Seacock is open strainer is clean... water flow is as strong looking as it has ever been (I know not very technical)but it runs perfect for a few hours then trips.

8 minutes ago, rbe1018 said:

checked strainer and the water flow out the side seems to be as strong as ever

Need to actually measure it in order to make a determination.  Bucket and stopwatch is an easy way.  Sounds like you are borderline given the symptons provided.  

Get an AC guy to clean out your lines.

I had the same problem, they run chemicals through your lines and clean them out.

I paid $250 and he came to the boat.

46 minutes ago, jeffk said:

Get an AC guy to clean out your lines.

I had the same problem, they run chemicals through your lines and clean them out.

I paid $250 and he came to the boat.

You can easily do that yourself with a bottle of bleach. Cost 99 cents.

No you cant, he ran chemical through my system for over a half hour.

till enjoying Svengoolie?

That vampire western was great 2 weeks ago

37 minutes ago, jeffk said:

No you cant, he ran chemical through my system for over a half hour.

till enjoying Svengoolie?

That vampire western was great 2 weeks ago

Yes, of course I still watch Svengoolie. My new cable provider doesn't carry MYTV, so I had to purchase an antenna! One good shot of bleach will remove a lot of contaminants, maybe not as good as a half hour flush, but when done often, it works as well. Close  your seacock and fill the strainer with bleach, then have someone turn on the AC. When the pump kicks on, open the seacock. You will be amazed at the dirty water you see coming out the overboard drain. 

Got to at least try that one with the bleach! Must be the right age on the boat to really need all lines cleaned. Seems some of my water drains suddenly need cleaning out too.

I think the bleach might be a good maintenance idea.

I was getting a very weak water stream, now it really flows out of the boat.

Tried the bleach idea...that didn't work.  Now it is HPFing all nether time. Must be a sensor or pump overheating. Have a guy coming to check it out.

This came from the hulltruth website:

Hi Guys...Been a member for awhile (close to 5 yrs at this point ?) but I believe this is my first post...

My name is Steve & I am in the Marine A/C business (have been for 23 yrs) based in the Tampa Bay Fl area.

Probably a bit late on this thread...But I thought I might chime in, and as mentioned above by others it is most likely a loss of, or restricted seawater flow....Possibly a dirty seawater condenser (scale) acting like an insulating blanket and preventing proper heat transfer to the water (like a dirty radiator in your car)

Pressure switch failure is generally pretty rare, and usually only occurs after the owner has attempted to run the system repeatedly without addressing the water flow problem.

Most all marine A/C systems are capillary tube type metering devices not TXV, but yes they can get restricted as well and can cause the fault codes, but that is also rare...That type problem generally occurs in a leaky (freon) system that has to be re-charged often...Either the system low side runs into a vacuum (while low on refrigerant & without a low pressure switch installed) and sucks in moisture (which freezes at the cap tube) Or the service person is inducing moisture into the system when recharging...

I describe the problem (water flow) further in an article on my website http://marine-ac.com/ and also have a forum to discuss problems & solutions for owners of marine a/c...I'm not trying to sell anything here guys, nor do I on my website (unless you ask) but mainly am trying to remove some of the mystery of Marine A/C & Refrigeration by sharing my experience with owners...If I make a sale or two...Well Cool...But again that's not what Marine-A/C.com is about.

Check it out if you like...cool.gif

Steve~

Thanks for that reply Steve.....I could be guilty of repeatedly pushing it but the water flow does not seem to be restricted. Sometimes it runs for 2 hrs then faults and sometimes it starts back up and other times it doesn't. Right now it is HPFing every time you turn it on. Tomorrow it may work. Anyways my mechanic is pretty good with AC so I'll let him check it .

As I previously stated,  it sounds like you are right on  the edge with water floe and therefore need to actually measure it as it is very difficult to gauge by sight when you are not at extremes.  Fouling of the coaxial condenser is very likely the cause if regular maintenance has not been performed.  The fouling will reduce water flow and/or reduce heat transfer from the refrigerant to the water.  An AC technician will be able to quickly make this determination.

Dennis, you maybe right about flow restriction.  Mechanic flushed chemicals thru and said appears to be pushing more volume. Also removed about 2' of excess duct and increased airflow to vents. Also found something on the system not correctly mounted it and fixed that. Also he cleaned coils better than I had. So this weekend will be the test.

You can make a decent flushing system using a 500gph bilge pump & 5gal bucket.  Get hose barb adapters to attach the "to & from" hoses and run it for an hour or so.  I'm gonna make one when the time comes.