Kwood92

Ethanol seperation

Had a problem with the boat stalling out.  After talking a ride with the mechanic He told me the carburetor was damaged due to bad gas or water in the tank.   We then checked the gas in the carburetor and there was a lot of small debris and after setting for a few minutes the ethanol seemed to separate.    I had to pay to clean out the gas tank and rebuild the carburetor.   Just wondering how do you prevent this from happening and is this something that happens often?   We are trying to figure out if water somehow got in the tank but that doesn't seem possible. 

buy e free gas is the easiest way.  If that's not possible, then find an additive.  Ethanol is not that bad if your using it all the time, let it sit for a year sure then there might be an issue.

Out of curiosity, how long had that tank of gas sat or how old was it?  Not a fan of ethanol at all but haven't had this phase separation issue yet. When I splurge and buy ethanol free at the lake at about $1 more per gallon, I can see the difference on the speedo especially on the waverunner with slightly higher top speeds.  

Water in the ethanol is  VERY RARE . Leaving covers open or bad gaskets during rains or wash downs..  Buying gas right after the tanks are filled can stir up the bottom water & dirt..

E gas is 10 to 13% weaker than 0%  E gas. Power loss is due to some corn cobs getting by your filter. Your fuel filter should be stopping the visible dirt.  Do you have a filter ?

It's called phase separation and happens when the product has been sitting for a long time. The ethanol separates from the gasoline. At that point, it's no different than mixing your Jack Daniels and water. Any moisture mixes with the ethanol. Doesn't take much. In a 100 gallon tank just the repeated condensation will create problems. 

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Out of curiosity, how long had that tank of gas sat or how old was it?  Not a fan of ethanol at all but haven't had this phase separation issue yet. When I splurge and buy ethanol free at the lake at about $1 more per gallon, I can see the difference on the speedo especially on the waverunner with slightly higher top speeds.  

Chap  It was probably sitting for a month.  however there could have been remnants from the little bit of gas i left in it over the winter break.   I left less than a quarter of a tank in over the winter,  Then filled it up in May and ran it for a couple of weeks then it sat all of June.  I think next year i will clean the tank out in the spring before running the engine. 

48 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Water in the ethanol is  VERY RARE . Leaving covers open or bad gaskets during rains or wash downs..  Buying gas right after the tanks are filled can stir up the bottom water & dirt..

E gas is 10 to 13% weaker than 0%  E gas. Power loss is due to some corn cobs getting by your filter. Your fuel filter should be stopping the visible dirt.  Do you have a filter ?

Cyclops yes the filter was a little dirty as well. 

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Ethanol has less btus, and hence less efficiency, but will not create a loss of power. It just takes more.

1 hour ago, jksvet said:

Ethanol has less btus, and hence less efficiency, but will not create a loss of power. It just takes more.

I don't know...I report a small loss on top end.  For me in my waverunner, it is pretty obvious because, i'm always eyeing the speedo and I can only get the 70 and 71 readings when I use the non-ethanol otherwise I'm topped out at 69 hence the once in a while splurge.  Never had any sort of acceleration baseline to compare to as I've never used the app that clocks your acceleration, only gps for top end.  

Just now, Chaparral Rider said:

I don't know...I report a small loss on top end.  For me in my waverunner, it is pretty obvious because, i'm always eyeing the speedo and I can only get the 70 and 71 readings when I use the non-ethanol otherwise I'm topped out at 69 hence the once in a while splurge.  Never had any sort of acceleration baseline to compare to as I've never used the app that clocks your acceleration, only gps for top end.  

which is odd because E85 or whatever gives you more HP.

1 minute ago, soldier4402 said:

which is odd because E85 or whatever gives you more HP.

It's higher octane but lower btu's...less energy in each explosion but the waverunner isn't able to utilize higher octane so is moot.  

Think of alcohol burning engines. No lack of horsepower. 

87 octane fuel with ethanol starts as subgrade 85 octane has. The ethanol raises the octane and the oil companies make more money because the subgrade is cheaper to refine. Thought that would make you feel better. Lol

I get less mileage on E 10. But a can of SEAFOAM restores the lost MPG for 1 month. E 10 is junk gasoline.

Interesting....Like I said, I just know I see the magical 70 and 71 the times I use the non oxygenated.  Not scientific at all, could be other factors at play that i'm not thinking of.  

18 hours ago, Kwood92 said:

Chap  It was probably sitting for a month.  however there could have been remnants from the little bit of gas i left in it over the winter break.   I left less than a quarter of a tank in over the winter,  Then filled it up in May and ran it for a couple of weeks then it sat all of June.  I think next year i will clean the tank out in the spring before running the engine. 

Having a 1/4 of a tank I think was your problem. By the tank not being fulled, the dampness in the air was allowed in. The other thing you can do is use Valvtech Marine fuel. 

You are close to the coast, so it should be easy to find. As a back up, you can add on a Racor fuel filter system to your boat. That will help with the water!!

18 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I don't see a problem sitting for a month. 

Thats why I think is was that 1/4 tank over the winter.

Most under ground gas tanks eventually get cracks at where the filling & vent pipes attach to them. So water can accumulate over years. Land or marina. Refilling those tanks when empty ??  :haha-7383:  Will really mix up all the water & sediment.  Time your refills with their tank refilling schedule.  1/ 2 or less SHOULD be good.

I leave a 1/4 tank in mine over the winter or less. I just a stybil to the tank before storage, never have had a problem.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

Having a 1/4 of a tank I think was your problem. By the tank not being fulled, the dampness in the air was allowed in. The other thing you can do is use Valvtech Marine fuel. 

You are close to the coast, so it should be easy to find. As a back up, you can add on a Racor fuel filter system to your boat. That will help with the water!!

I was thinking the same thing about the 1/4 tank.    i thought that was the norm for the forum though.    I'm pretty sure there was a long thread on this with all different opinions. 

I need to look in the Racor Fuel filter system 

Full tank and add Stabihl before setting up for the winter.

I'm lucky and have never had a fuel issue because I use my boat year around and it always has fresh fuel and Stabihl in the tank.

I'm indifferent as to how much gas is in my tank when it gets winterized.  I can't time it to be only a quarter tank the day I remove it for the season and I could top it off but generally don't. It gets stabil for whatever it is actually worth.    

3 hours ago, Kwood92 said:

I was thinking the same thing about the 1/4 tank.    i thought that was the norm for the forum though.    I'm pretty sure there was a long thread on this with all different opinions. 

I need to look in the Racor Fuel filter system 

" with all different opinions."  Yep!!!