Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vol Mark 8657

Steering failure

8 posts in this topic

I have Volvo penta 8.1 and the EVC is is throwing a code warning.  The port drive will no longer turn. The steering wheel turns, but the drive does not.   There are no issues with the starboard drive. Can anyone tell me what is going on? My boat is a 2010 signature 370 with a joystick. 

This is by wire. The technician recommended a new steering unit. 

A friend had the same problem. It required a mechanic to realign the drive and program the computer.

Dont ya just love drive by wire. nothing like good old steering cables or hyd steering systems. You need a IT guy thats qualified in volvo systems.

Personally, I would convert to hyd steering and tie bar if possible

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

A friend had the same problem. It required a mechanic to realign the drive and program the computer.

Does that mean it could be solely a software issue? Or was the programing more of just an access issue for verification of physical changes?

8 hours ago, FredO said:

Does that mean it could be solely a software issue? Or was the programing more of just an access issue for verification of physical changes?

I can't answer that. I know it was something that required someone that works on the joystick drives. I believe there was a mechanical alignment and a program alignment.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:10 PM, mpm330 said:

I can't answer that. I know it was something that required someone that works on the joystick drives. I believe there was a mechanical alignment and a program alignment.

Ahh no worries, thanks for responding though. I hope the OP is able to solve the issue. Do you know how much work on the joystick drives usually run at?

3 hours ago, FredO said:

Ahh no worries, thanks for responding though. I hope the OP is able to solve the issue. Do you know how much work on the joystick drives usually run at?

Not a clue.