Sign in to follow this  
MI Chappy

SSI 255 vs. Regal 2650

I purchased a Sunesta 216 about a year ago.  I like the layout but have found the open bow and shallow deadrise don't lend themselves to well to the great lakes.  I'm looking at a 255 SSi and a Regal 2650.  We would still like to pull the occasional tube in smaller inland lakes in addition to spending some time on bigger water.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Cruiser hull with a real motor will easily do the towing. AND WAKE SURFING. The enclosed cabin means bug free sleeping with heat & Air Conditioning.

Full kitchen . People who can not take the sun & lotions on them ? Are happily in the A C cabin doing drinks & food trays.  They enjoy being protected & useful.

Boating is so simple with a fast, fully enclosed cruiser.  Like cruising with maximum people indoors ?  See if the FULL CABIN HULL is still available.  Only the last 8' to 10' are not enclosed.  I loved the 2   I had. The joys of modifiable WOOD hulls & cabins.  Truly a floating house. Ice machine included.

Do a search of     fully enclosed cabin cruisers     Then go to a few woody boat shows around the country.  There are HYBRID woodie boats. Glass, aluminum or steel  hulls with full cabins on them. over 50' for less than $ 50,000.  Beats over $ 1,000,000 + added options.  All any of what we want has been done before.  Many times. All around the world.   ( a + 50' cruiser can pull 20 people with ease. )

Good luck

Edit   There are fiberglass hulls available up to at least 48'.  Final prices should be 50,000 or under.

I had a chap and they are good boats.  To be honest though, I thought chap was of average quality, their innovation and design was great in IMO, but build quality was just ok, and I had an SSi.  I wouldn't be opposed going back to chap, but would definitely compare others.

The 255 has the same hull as the 256ssi and the 264ssx. I have a 256ssi and do go out on Lake Michigan with it it handles the big water well. 

2 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I had a chap and they are good boats.  To be honest though, I thought chap was of average quality, their innovation and design was great in IMO, but build quality was just ok, and I had an SSi.  I wouldn't be opposed going back to chap, but would definitely compare others.

Average quality is my neighbor's 2017 Glastron 225.  The SSi's are not even in the same stratosphere as what an average quality boat offers.  It's like night and day.  Maybe new Glastrons (yes I get that it isn't in the same echelon as Chaps and Regals) have gotten cheaper and maybe newer chaps have as well.  There's average and then there's average.  

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Average quality is my neighbor's 2017 Glastron 225.  The SSi's are not even in the same stratosphere as what an average quality boat offers.  It's like night and day.  Maybe new Glastrons (yes I get that it isn't in the same echelon as Chaps and Regals) have gotten cheaper and maybe newer chaps have as well.  There's average and then there's average.  

I would consider glastron a below average or very average.  Chap average, so I should clarify. But I also think if we take away color schemes and some of the new tech on newer boats,  boats of early 90s or so were actually better built.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

I would consider glastron a below average or very average.  Chap average, so I should clarify. But I also think if we take color schemes and some of the new tech on newer boats,  boats of early 90s or so were actually better built.

I don't know about that but i see a lot of boats on my lake up close and personal and for lake boat manufacturers...all of the every man boats (not the center console ocean boats that we don't get on the lake), Cobalt, Chap, Glastron, Fourwinns, Sea Ray, etc...Chap is just a better mousetrap most of the time.  Maybe it is the generation of my 220 parked next to them, but so many of the boats are just poorly done.  Maybe I need a better reference group of boats that don't make it onto lakes.  

54 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I don't know about that but i see a lot of boats on my lake up close and personal and for lake boat manufacturers...all of the every man boats (not the center console ocean boats that we don't get on the lake), Cobalt, Chap, Glastron, Fourwinns, Sea Ray, etc...Chap is just a better mousetrap most of the time.  Maybe it is the generation of my 220 parked next to them, but so many of the boats are just poorly done.  Maybe I need a better reference group of boats that don't make it onto lakes.  

could be do a lot of boats are just cut from the same cloth as in just being built average.  nothing wrong with that.