Sign in to follow this  
MI Chappy

6.2 L Bravo III 600 Plus Hours

I'm looking at a 2006 Chaparral 255 SSi.  It has approximately 615 hours on it.  The seller indicates it was well maintained each season and a freshwater only boat.  I spoke to the mechanic I use and he told me that model engine and drive, properly maintained is good for at least 2000 hours.  He also said they often have charter boats with Mercs that they don't even consider tired until 4000 hours.  What do all of you think?  Just trying to avoid shelling out some deer on a boat that the engine is on it's way out.  Thanks in advance.

The hours are not an issue, if the boat was well maintained. 

brick

Not an issue.  1000 hours or more on a power pack I would probably start looking at passing.  But at 600 hours I would think you get 5min at least 10 years until you would be looking at something. 

Thats right around 50-60 hrs a year, thats about average.  If its been maintained right its good to go. 

But ask the owner; When was the impeller changed and drive pulled? If he hasn't done either in the last 2-3 years. That would be 2 things I would do when you winterize it the fall.

My 6.2L Merc has 560 hours on it with no issues. I'd say you should not have any concerns about the hours.

28 minutes ago, Toddler said:

Thats right around 50-60 hrs a year, thats about average.  If its been maintained right its good to go. 

But ask the owner; When was the impeller changed and drive pulled? If he hasn't done either in the last 2-3 years. That would be 2 things I would do when you winterize it the fall.

just my opinion, but impeller and fluids always get changed when I get a new boat.  At that point I now know it was done, and I am on maint schedule always a good idea.  Drive pulled  ehh, toss up but not a bad idea, ive never had it done and never an issue.

Do the recommended checks with a GOOD mechanic. Then having good luck takes over. MOST boats are trouble free.

Otherwise no one would buy them.    

Only the FEW problem boats get posted.

I agree the hours are not an issue - unless you're going to use it a lot and then want to resell it. If you push it up to say 900 you're going to have a tough time finding a buyer.

Hours are definitely not an issue. My old Suburban had 269k miles on it when I sold it and over 5500 hours. I never had any issues with the engine. Maintenance on all the other stuff is the main concern. Impeller, belts, hoses, fluids, gimbal, etc...