Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fackman

Motor cavatating after take off

17 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 260 SSI. Last night after giving it some throttle to plane off it started cavatating and causing a different wake from the outdrive. My guess is a spun prop. It is a Bravo 3 outdrive. Any thoughts?

Bravo III's are solid hub props, so you can rule out a spun hub. Did you dive the drive to see if you picked up a floating trash bag or beach towel? If the lower unit is clear, then you may have failed a cone clutch or engine coupler. Did the engine RPM take off and did you bounce off the rev limiter?   W

The motor did rev and I backed off.took off again and did the same thing. It works fine at slow speed. Trim was all the way down and no trash on prop area.I pulled out of the water and checked props. The outer prop seemed to have some play in it. Is this normal for the prop to have some play in it?

Stick stuck in the outdrive. Doesn't take but a 4-5 inch piece. Just "fixed" two this weekend suffering the same issue.

Look again at the front of the drive/ gimbal area.

Thanks guys. When I took it out of water everything looked ok. No sticks. 1 ding in the prop but it's been this way all year.

Drive is down. No junk on it or prop blades. No damage to a blade.  I vote with Wingnut.

His motor is cavitating, whatever that means ... just saying ... :)

I'm assuming 'motor cavitating' means the RPM's ramp up as he gives it throttle and there is no power at the props. I could be wrong.

Your problem isn't cavitation.  You've got something messed up in the lower unit.  Probably needs a rebuild.  Bummer.

So ruling out a spun hub, is there any "simple" way of testing the cone clutch or the engine coupler without pulling the drive or the engine?

12 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Look behind the engine for coupler debris.

Plus one on the coupler debris. As far as the cone clutch goes, drain the out drive oil and look for debris and filings. W

Thanks for those answers about looking for debris on both items. That information should help a lot of people start their trouble shooting with this problem.