Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wingnut

YIKES, Nothing more to say...

25 posts in this topic

Looks like he got himself into a very tight spot and perhaps didn't know what the heck he was doing.  My first question off the top is, Why didn't those cops help him get out? Open up a channel so he could get out. Tell the people to move! While it may have been the house boats fault to begin with, I don't see any boaters doing anything to help other than just push him out of the way.  But that's the way I see it.

That is going to be expensive!

Unless those house boats have thrusters they are not manageable with any kind of wind, unless at speed, and even then they drift. Many rentals are single engine models which makes matters worse.  His biggest mistake was taking it in there to begin with.  

Probably a rental.  Where they don't let you depart or return without calling for the rental companies pilot.

I'd say the LEO was waiting until the houseboat was safely away before stopping them.  Once the bonehead made the mistake of being there in the first place, he really wasn't doing a terrible job with it.  No way the anchored boats could get out of the way.  And the longer the LEO waited, the more infractions the guy was gonna make!  Quite sure the guy got to visit the local lock-up . . . rightly so.

He was doing a very terrible job. I've captained many a houseboat even larger than that one in some tight canyons. You just need to adjust for the wind. He was not using his throttles to maneuver as he should at low speeds.

Havasu is a lake to be avoided during the season. That channel gets very crowded by drunks with more money than ability.

Probably a rental. Credit Card Captains :)

Going in is always easier than coming out.

I think the 12 year old son did a great while dad was sitting in the toilet.  :mellow:

Seems odd that the LEO wouldn't just stop him, order him to drop anchor, and then call one or more tow boats to get him out safely, ON HIS DIME.

1 hour ago, sburke91 said:

Seems odd that the LEO wouldn't just stop him, order him to drop anchor, and then call one or more tow boats to get him out safely, ON HIS DIME.

Anchoring in the narrow channel would not have helped. He would have still swung into other boats given the wind speed and direction.

18 hours ago, Phillbo said:

He was doing a very terrible job. I've captained many a houseboat even larger than that one in some tight canyons. You just need to adjust for the wind. He was not using his throttles to maneuver as he should at low speeds.

Havasu is a lake to be avoided during the season. That channel gets very crowded by drunks with more money than ability.

Probably a rental. Credit Card Captains :)

I like the opening pic of this video. It might be a while before I hit play.

16 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I thought he was doing pretty good for the space he was in.

Really? The guy was obviously an idiot. There was a breeze but it was light. He could have put that boat anywhere if he knew what he was doing. I bring houseboats into slips or beaches regularly with much stronger winds. You just have to plan ahead and hang it on the props. 

Obviously you are the  standard to be used for docking abilities. Us mortals will get by with lower standards.

No, but this guy was bouncing off other boats. I don't consider that 'doing pretty good'. That was simply poor boat handling. 

9 hours ago, Phillbo said:

No, but this guy was bouncing off other boats. I don't consider that 'doing pretty good'. That was simply poor boat handling. 

Agreed,. Even with experience, that probably wasn't the best decision when he decided to go into the party.  You have to plan way ahead on something with that much mass.  Simply reacting to what is happening means you are already behind the curve.  You have to pilot those with a plan and  be ahead of the boat.

12 hours ago, cjm13905 said:

I like the opening pic of this video. It might be a while before I hit play.

There's a video??  LOL 

I gots one more thing to say.......

When I posted my reply above, it was the night before I went to Toronto Island on Monday. All was well. Record time over the Peace Bridge and Canadian Customs and up the QEW. I put the boat in and cruised to the island in smooth water. Dropped anchor and relaxed and watched the partial eclipse. Perfect day, but........

The Canadian forecast called for a small increase in winds during the day and then receding late in the day. I eventually maneuver the boat close to the shore and drop anchor. I'm about 30 feet from the beach and maybe 3 feet deep. As the day wears on, the winds pick up. Not concerned. Wave action picks up a little bit...1 foot and no white caps. Still relying on the original forecast that it will calm down later. There are now other boats around me and people swimming around me.....still not concerned but am starting to pay attention as the winds and waves keep mildly strong. About one hour before sunset, I am still seeing consistent winds with a change in direction. I then look up the Canadian forecast and it is updated stating winds and waves will change and increase. My heart starts to race a bit. Not so much because of the forecast but because now I don't think I can get out of my current position without either running aground or hitting something or somebody.

The wind and my boat don't get along well. My boat weather vanes quickly and the aft corners [starboard or port] can easily become the "new bow" and be blown ashore in no time flat. So I start running simulations in my head on how to pull the anchors [forward and aft], get to the steering wheel and throttle and get going before I get blown around. I don't have a windlass anchor so I have to pull it up manually. The problem was, what to do with it once I pull it up. Do I stand on the bow and pull it aboard or jump in the water and bring it aft. If I stood on the bow, it would take to much time to get it aboard and stowed on the cuddy deck, then race over the window frame and get it in gear. Or, jumping in the water and pulling anchor, it allows me to pull the anchor while keeping one hand on the haul to keep it from weather vaning. 

So, I start the engine, pulled the rear anchor, jumped in the water and pulled the front anchor [I was fortunate to have enough line I could put the anchor on the swim platform]. Dropped it on the swim platform while struggling to keep the boat into the wind and also not blown ashore. Eventually, I had no choice but to let it go free while I'll climbed aboard [dragging tons of water with me] ran to the steering wheel and put it in gear. Thank God forward motion. Then two IDIOTS start to swim in front of me!  I'm yelling at them, STOP STOP STOP. They look at me with disgust....then giggle and say GO GO GO. Fortunately they stayed out of my way and I had enough speed to maintain directional control and got out of that mess I allowed my self to get into.

I relearned one thing. Always pay attention to your surroundings and take note of any changes.....or no changes.

The other thing I learned was that a windlass anchor would have helped me out of this BIG TIME.  Can a windlass be attached to an 87 Chap?

The weather is looking fantastic tomorrow so I'm headed to Port Dover [Long Point, Ont]. I'm finally catching up with Summer.

You can add a windlass to any boat.

When i get in that situation I'll start the engine and put it in gear and then go forward to haul the anchor. You pull the rode as the boat moves forward over the anchor.

On my lake the wind is always a factor so I have to plan for it every trip.

37 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

You can add a windlass to any boat.

When i get in that situation I'll start the engine and put it in gear and then go forward to haul the anchor. You pull the rode as the boat moves forward over the anchor.

On my lake the wind is always a factor so I have to plan for it every trip.

Based on the two situations, this is tough decision--be on the bow of the boat with the engine running and the boat in gear, or be in the water with the engine running.  Neither one seems like the safest place to be, especially if the boat's not a bow rider.  I know ultimately we have to do what we have to do, but hearing stories like this continue to cement my thoughts of a windlass being the big boat project this winter.

Sometimes the situation calls for hauling up the anchor with engine running, laying it on the bow, slowly proceeding to open water, and then taking the time to properly secure it in its hold.

SST

Remember about any GROUP EVENT.

The early bird gets trapped / boxed in. Same on a 4th of July flotilla.

Arrive on time or a little lave......You will be able to leave any time.

I saw another video of this guy from the opposite direction. He eventually turned the helm over to someone else on the boat that knew how to use the throttles to maneuver and got them out of there.

To be clear, my engine was running but not engaged while dealing with the anchor. 

23 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Sometimes the situation calls for hauling up the anchor with engine running, laying it on the bow, slowly proceeding to open water, and then taking the time to properly secure it in its hold.

This is what I normally do. But in this situation, there would not have been enough time between the anchor coming loose and then getting it [and the rope-20ft] on the deck. That's why I chose jumping in the water. At all times I kept one hand on the boat to prevent it from weather vaning. 

20 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

SST

Remember about any GROUP EVENT.

The early bird gets trapped / boxed in. Same on a 4th of July flotilla.

Arrive on time or a little lave......You will be able to leave any time.

Your right, I actually arrived a bit later than skd. Which led me to anchoring a little farther out. I still had a good view of the beach but then another boater moved his boat closer and it blocked my view. Then a CAT came in and blocked me even more. Eventually he left and I immediately moved in and took his place for a better view of the beach.  The other factor for moving in closer was the water temp. Something like 67 degrees. 

very tight channel even without any wind.  boats on both sides of the channel along with boats in the channel.  never should have been in the channel to begin with. the houseboat i rented at lake powell only had rear propulsion for control - that's it.  i think the beer and testosterone were driving and not a pre-trained brain.