borla01

Best TOWING SUV?

87 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, rreale said:

I looked at data on fuelly.com , and notice the same 3 MPG differential.  Manufacturers dont publish mpg data for 3/4 tons, but they do give you a larger fuel tank.

a good calculation is if you compare two vehicles that get different MPG and assuming they use the same fuel at the same cost, it roughly cost about 150-200 bucks more a year for every mpg loss, that's based off 15k miles a year.  Now factor in if one vehicle requires premium or diesel that number will jump for every mpg loss.  Not huge numbers per say, but if you are trying to figure cost of ownership its worth a thought.

I have found the discussion on the "ride" of a truck interesting.  Pickup trucks are designed, or maybe I should say, should be designed to carry a load, that is what the bed is for.  If you want a truck that rides like a car you are going to sacrifice some payload as softer springs are required.  The only thing that rides rougher than a 1/2 ton truck, is a 3/4 ton truck, and the only thing worse than that is a 1 ton truck.(I happen to tow my 1992 Sig 280 with a 2002 F-350 SRW SuperCab with 7.3L powerstroke and 240k miles).  The new F-150's have incredible tow ratings(max of 10,500lbs) while my aged powerstroke was rated at only 12,500lbs.  I pulled our camp trailer(5300lb dry weight) from Southwest Colorado to Southern California for spring break this year with our 2005 Lincoln Navigator(5.4L V8), and it did fairly well(fuel mileage suffered dramatically on some of the long hills).  Certainly a truck is better at towing, but an SUV can do the job if you're careful and understand some of the discussion points above(primarily payload vs. tow rating).

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, JPFunk said:

I have found the discussion on the "ride" of a truck interesting.  Pickup trucks are designed, or maybe I should say, should be designed to carry a load, that is what the bed is for.  If you want a truck that rides like a car you are going to sacrifice some payload as softer springs are required.  The only thing that rides rougher than a 1/2 ton truck, is a 3/4 ton truck, and the only thing worse than that is a 1 ton truck.(I happen to tow my 1992 Sig 280 with a 2002 F-350 SRW SuperCab with 7.3L powerstroke and 240k miles).  The new F-150's have incredible tow ratings(max of 10,500lbs) while my aged powerstroke was rated at only 12,500lbs.  I pulled our camp trailer(5300lb dry weight) from Southwest Colorado to Southern California for spring break this year with our 2005 Lincoln Navigator(5.4L V8), and it did fairly well(fuel mileage suffered dramatically on some of the long hills).  Certainly a truck is better at towing, but an SUV can do the job if you're careful and understand some of the discussion points above(primarily payload vs. tow rating).

For some a truck is the new 4 door car and trucks are also seen as luxury vehicles now specially with the price tag.  So I think some want them to ride like cars, just the way it is.  But I do agree you cant always have both,  ford may ride rougher, after owning all three I didn't see it really but maybe it does because it has a higher payload then the others.  Who knows with the big three' trucks, its all an opinion game just like batteries and oil.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:30 PM, JPFunk said:

If you want a truck that rides like a car you are going to sacrifice some payload as softer springs are required.

Not when when you have air suspension.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:04 AM, borla01 said:

I bought a 256ssx this year and slip my boat all season. Boat is 5500 dry plus a 1500+ trailer. I do not want a 3/4 ton truck, well I want one but its not logical for me to have for work. Only plan to pull the boat maybe 100-300 miles 2X a year and of course in and out for gas a couple times and in and out for the season storage etc. We are a family of 5 and need a new SUV. Is an Expedition a good fit with the ecoboost motor? Or a 1/2 ton Suburban better? I read a few threads about the 1/2 tons and feel that they might be too small? I have driven suburbans for 20 years but I don't think my last half ton would have done the job. The prior 2 were 3/4 tons with the 8.1 and they would have been perfect but they don't make them anymore. I feel like the GMC Yukon XL or the Expedition is a beefier vehicle?

A long shot would be an F150 with ecoboost but not a fan of how they drive.

Any personal experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I purchased the 2nd gen 2017 Nissan Armada last December and love the way it tows my 226 ssi.  The Armada weighs 6000 lbs,  8500 lb towing capacity, self leveling rear end, 395 hp / 395 torque.  It has the same chassis and interior as the Infinity QX80 and Nissan Patrol (Nissan Land Cruiser).  It's a real beast.  I looked at the domestic models but felt the Nissan represented a better value and was higher quality.  The nav and tech are a little dated but that wasn't important to me.  You get all the road safety nanny's with it too if you buy the Platinum.  If you want to try something different go check it out - there's not many out there but they're selling quickly. My previous tow vehicle was a 2015 ford platinum 5.0 4x4 which did a fine job too - just a little less secure feeling from my perspective. 

IMG_7369.JPG

5 hours ago, tolson37 said:

I purchased the 2nd gen 2017 Nissan Armada last December and love the way it tows my 226 ssi.  The Armada weighs 6000 lbs,  8500 lb towing capacity, self leveling rear end, 395 hp / 395 torque.  It has the same chassis and interior as the Infinity QX80 and Nissan Patrol (Nissan Land Cruiser).  It's a real beast.  I looked at the domestic models but felt the Nissan represented a better value and was higher quality.  The nav and tech are a little dated but that wasn't important to me.  You get all the road safety nanny's with it too if you buy the Platinum.  If you want to try something different go check it out - there's not many out there but they're selling quickly. My previous tow vehicle was a 2015 ford platinum 5.0 4x4 which did a fine job too - just a little less secure feeling from my perspective. 

IMG_7369.JPG

Due to their wheel base, center of gravity, payload, and curb weight an suv will never be as secure at towing than a truck on the same level.  Just wont. 

I think all new full size trucks and SUV's do a great job towing, if you use common sense and tow within the limits of the vehicle. I like having the third row of seats in an SUV, so that is my choice. 

brick

2015.5 Gmc 2500 Denali Duramax is what I tow with. My boat is a 284 Sunesta. It pulls it effortlessly and my boat is 9600# with fuel, trailer, loaded and ready to roll.  That being said I slip my boat as well because of the convenience. 

5 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

2015.5 Gmc 2500 Denali Duramax is what I tow with. My boat is a 284 Sunesta. It pulls it effortlessly and my boat is 9600# with fuel, trailer, loaded and ready to roll.  That being said I slip my boat as well because of the convenience. 

Very nice. 

brick

How big is the fuel tank on the SUv's ?  I tow 250 miles round trip to the lake and do not care to stop for fuel when going to or from.  One reason why I prefer a pick up or 3/4 ton that has a larger fuel tank to make to round trip without any stops.

35 minutes ago, Jjlai724 said:

How big is the fuel tank on the SUv's ?  I tow 250 miles round trip to the lake and do not care to stop for fuel when going to or from.  One reason why I prefer a pick up or 3/4 ton that has a larger fuel tank to make to round trip without any stops.

26 gallons on the Expy. Getting 10.9 mpg towing, so about a 250 mile range. I would have to stop before then anyways to find a tree, so no big deal...

brick

36 gallons on the 2016 Silverado 2500.  Hurts when I fill it but it lasts much longer than the 26 gallon tank on my old '08.  I know my in-laws 2013 Avalanche has a 30+ gallon tank too so I assume the Suburban has the same.

4 hours ago, brick said:

I think all new full size trucks and SUV's do a great job towing, if you use common sense and tow within the limits of the vehicle. I like having the third row of seats in an SUV, so that is my choice. 

brick

don't get me wrong with my comment SUVs these days great machines and have great performance,  todays bigger SUVs are better tow machines than trucks were 10 years ago.  But I was more or less saying compare a f150 half ton to say your expedition, the truck is a safer and more efficient tow machine.  that's all.

tolson, I hope you have better luck with your 2nd gen Armada than I had with my 2015. A/C issues, Tranny replaced twice, electrical isssues. Went through the lemon law process with it. If the transmission and A/C were suitable with no electrical issues, I would have loved it. Much preferred the IRS, and dual head rest DVD players and the room.

I ended up getting a 2016 Yukon Denali. With 420/460 it has plenty of power. Rear leveling bags it rides well and I actually prefer it to my 2016 F150 except in stiff crosswinds or on a slippery ramp. That's when I prefer the longer WB and 4wd of my truck. 

The 8 speed tranny in the Yukon also plays a huge role. It seems to always be in a good powerband and doesn't seem to hunt as much as my 6 speed in my F150

2 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

don't get me wrong with my comment SUVs these days great machines and have great performance,  todays bigger SUVs are better tow machines than trucks were 10 years ago.  But I was more or less saying compare a f150 half ton to say your expedition, the truck is a safer and more efficient tow machine.  that's all.

I like trucks, too - I just need a third row of seats. If I was towing a bigger boat then it would be a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton diesel, for sure. 

brick

2 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

tolson, I hope you have better luck with your 2nd gen Armada than I had with my 2015. A/C issues, Tranny replaced twice, electrical isssues. Went through the lemon law process with it. If the transmission and A/C were suitable with no electrical issues, I would have loved it. Much preferred the IRS, and dual head rest DVD players and the room.

I ended up getting a 2016 Yukon Denali. With 420/460 it has plenty of power. Rear leveling bags it rides well and I actually prefer it to my 2016 F150 except in stiff crosswinds or on a slippery ramp. That's when I prefer the longer WB and 4wd of my truck. 

The 8 speed tranny in the Yukon also plays a huge role. It seems to always be in a good powerband and doesn't seem to hunt as much as my 6 speed in my F150

That should yank your 220SSi around pretty easy. We plan to be at West Point Lake this Saturday - come on down and visit. 

brick

8 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

I tried getting into the a 2017 Yukon - all 3 had terrible vibrations and the dealer explained it was low tire pressure or they would fix them before delivery.  I really like the way they look but that's about it.  I couldn't justify all the extra dollars for what I was getting.  The GM 1/2 ton platforms have terrible reliability- I had a Tahoe (current gen chassis) and it towed my 204 SSI great - but around 45,000 miles the wheel bearings on both rear wheels went bad - GM covered it under warranty.  Will see how good the 2nd Gen Armada is - after 13k miles so far so good.  It is a proven platform like I said - it's from the Nissan Patrol which has been around for a long time...  You'll have to google it to see the roots of it.  There's something to be said about the weight of the tow vehicle - that's why I think it feels more secure when towing than my 2015 F150 did.  Funny enough though I miss my F150 for different reasons.  Anyway didn't want to make this into a mine is better than yours type of thing but if anyone is shopping around - take a look at the new Armada - you'll be surprised.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:56 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

I wish they would make a 2500 Suburban Duramax!  I already have 12K miles on my 2016 Silverado D-Max and I love it!  20mpg for my daily commute is waaaaaay better than my 08 did!  I love the space in the back seat of the crew cab but a Suburban would be nice for the dog:)

It's coming with the new L5P Duramax...They might already be available if you build one.

1 hour ago, tolson37 said:

I tried getting into the a 2017 Yukon - all 3 had terrible vibrations and the dealer explained it was low tire pressure or they would fix them before delivery.  I really like the way they look but that's about it.  I couldn't justify all the extra dollars for what I was getting.  The GM 1/2 ton platforms have terrible reliability- I had a Tahoe (current gen chassis) and it towed my 204 SSI great - but around 45,000 miles the wheel bearings on both rear wheels went bad - GM covered it under warranty.  Will see how good the 2nd Gen Armada is - after 13k miles so far so good.  It is a proven platform like I said - it's from the Nissan Patrol which has been around for a long time...  You'll have to google it to see the roots of it.  There's something to be said about the weight of the tow vehicle - that's why I think it feels more secure when towing than my 2015 F150 did.  Funny enough though I miss my F150 for different reasons.  Anyway didn't want to make this into a mine is better than yours type of thing but if anyone is shopping around - take a look at the new Armada - you'll be surprised.

I had the same thing happen to me. Test drive a Yukon and Yukon Denali. Both had significant vibrations around 45 mph. 

brick

That's odd I have a buddy who has one and we both went up to Pyramid Lake yesterday he towed  his boat and I towed mine and I know he didn't have any problems I believe he's had his close to a year now without any issues

9 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

What motor is in your F150?

5 hours ago, Steve&Steph said:

What motor is in your F150?

5.0L

i wanted it for the long haul and didn't want to mess with forced induction. I expect to get 200k+ out of it. 

The new Armadas are very very nice. I'm glad you're receiving good service out of yours. 

Ive not had much trouble out of my Yukon. They replaced a GPS antenna. Otherwise gas and oil changes. 

3 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

5.0L

i wanted it for the long haul and didn't want to mess with forced induction. I expect to get 200k+ out of it. 

The new Armadas are very very nice. I'm glad you're receiving good service out of yours. 

Ive not had much trouble out of my Yukon. They replaced a GPS antenna. Otherwise gas and oil changes. 

Never owned an armada in my life.  I did have a 2007 Titan.  I was just curious what engine Ford you had that was hinting for gears.. my EB is almost always in 5/6 on the highway. 

1 hour ago, Steve&Steph said:

Never owned an armada in my life.  I did have a 2007 Titan.  I was just curious what engine Ford you had that was hinting for gears.. my EB is almost always in 5/6 on the highway. 

His post says his F150 has the 5.0 V8

The EcoBoost in my Expy, in "Tow Mode" holds 6th gear at 70mph and rarely, if ever, downshifts. And my boat/trailer weigh 6000lbs. 

brick

I rode in the new Armada (my brother-in-law owns Nissan & Chevy dealerships).  Nice vehicle.  Very solid, rides nice and it's comfy.  My wife has a Pathfinder and has been leasing Nissan SUVs for the last 15 yrs.  They are always nice, reliable vehicles.  I'm curious how the Titan XD Cummins tows.  Seems like a nice truck that fits in between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton