Shayes9761

Power question for 2007 290 Signature

11 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

Looking at purchasing a 2007 290 Signature.  It is powered by Twin Volvo 4.3L motors with Duo-props.  What are your thoughts?  I am worried about it being underpowered or having trouble getting on plane.

I have driven some SeaRays that had 5.7L motors in them and they didn't perform too well in my opinion.

Does anyone have this setup that they can comment on it?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

I have a 2011 290, comes in at 9,500lbs. With 4.3L Volvos (225hp each) with the Dou-props. No, its not under-powered!!

i had a 2004 280, same boat.

twin 4.3 vp with duoprops.

was not underpowered

youll be fine.  Big cruisers like that you got to have realistic expectations, short of putting 400 hp engines in them, they aren't going to be snappy.

Just make sure it doesn't have the plastic XDP drives, they are crap.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:56 AM, mpm330 said:

Just make sure it doesn't have the plastic XDP drives, they are crap.

OK, I am going out on a limb here...but aren't the outdrives made of aluminum?  What would a plastic drive be?  Internal plastic parts?

On 8/21/2017 at 7:54 PM, Iggy said:

I have a 2011 290, comes in at 9,500lbs. With 4.3L Volvos (225hp each) with the Dou-props. No, its not under-powered!!

Thanks for the info.  Any issues with yours staying on plane at lower speeds?

3 hours ago, Shayes9761 said:

Thanks for the info.  Any issues with yours staying on plane at lower speeds?

I have tapped into the engines computer to display fuel flow. At 28 knots doing 3200 RPM is my boats most best all around speed. Doing about 17-19 GPH. I can get on plane doing about 20 -22 knots depending on chop. Doing about 20-21 GPH. So I am burning more fuel. In other words, the boat is more out of the water at 28 knots than at 22 knots. Less drag, so my GPH goes down and my MPG goes up.

10 hours ago, Iggy said:

I have tapped into the engines computer to display fuel flow. At 28 knots doing 3200 RPM is my boats most best all around speed. Doing about 17-19 GPH. I can get on plane doing about 20 -22 knots depending on chop. Doing about 20-21 GPH. So I am burning more fuel. In other words, the boat is more out of the water at 28 knots than at 22 knots. Less drag, so my GPH goes down and my MPG goes up.

Iggy,

How does it run around 15 knots?  Will it plane at that speed?

15 hours ago, Shayes9761 said:

OK, I am going out on a limb here...but aren't the outdrives made of aluminum?  What would a plastic drive be?  Internal plastic parts?

The Volvo XDP drives had a plastic housing and had many problems.  Here is a link to a long thread about them. 

1 hour ago, Shayes9761 said:

Iggy,

How does it run around 15 knots?  Will it plane at that speed?

No, you will be just plowing though the water with your bow up. May be at 18 to 20 depending on chop, wight (fuel, water people) and wind.  Some would say, use your trim tabs. But remember, the trim tabs will help you because it will force water down lifting the boat up. But that will also cause drag burning more fuel.