fevertree

engine shut down when throttling up

13 posts in this topic

I have a 2012 H2O with a 3.0 MPI. My problem is that my engine shuts off when throttling up . The engine check light comes on for a second and the safety engine system beeps once. The engine can be restarted in Guardian mode and will run like that for 10 minutes and then shuts down again. This time it wont turn over until it sits for 15 minutes and  again will go into Guardian. When the tech checks it with the computer no codes show up. I have had 3 different marine service centers try to find the problem with no luck. They have replace plugs and battery. This has happened 4 times, twice having to be towed in. I heed help.

Does it sorta "sputter" and die like it's not getting enough air?  If so, could be the Idle Air Control valve (IAC).  Lots of discussions on here about the IAC.

edit: actually, an IAC issue would prevent idling, so you seem to have the opposite problem.  Take my "advice" with a teaspoon of salt. :)

Is it over heating at the time that it shuts down? You may need to take a mechanic out with you and have him monitor the codes while the boat is running.

19 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Is it over heating at the time that it shuts down? You may need to take a mechanic out with you and have him monitor the codes while the boat is running.

I was thinking that or drive fluid not filled.  might be worthwhile checking the impeller and the drive fluid.

I would hope that 3 different mechanics did not overlook the basics like fluid levels. But you never know.

The steady increase in time to restart indicates a part heating up & failing. When it dies. Is the battery voltage still at 12.6 vdc or higher?  You say it will not TURN OVER ? Does that mean no starter ? Or engine will not start ?

While waiting during the 15 minutes. Has any one checked for a good blue snapping spark at several spark plugs ?

While waiting can you hear the fuel pump running with the key in the RUN position ?  Seconds before the engine stops completely. Is there  a smooth moaning sound? Or a lean erratic backfiring sound ?

I'll check the battery, spark and fuel pump after next time it happens. When it stops its like the engine has been turned off. This has happened after an hour of running. twice after about a half hour, once after 5min. and one after a minute It doesn't happen every time and the engine is always warmed up before leaving dock..When I try to start it after the third time it stops, there is nothing, no starter and not even a chick. 

I've always kind of thought that. But it never shows when I have tech around. I had the boat hauled to a dealer an hour away, They couldn't find anything but changed the plugs, went over the fuel injection and checked the spark plug wires. It ran well for 3 days and then it happened again exactly as the first time. If it doesn't show on the computer when plugged in how does a tech find the electrical problem. Stumped

On 8/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, fevertree said:

I have a 2012 H2O with a 3.0 MPI. My problem is that my engine shuts off when throttling up . The engine check light comes on for a second and the safety engine system beeps once. The engine can be restarted in Guardian mode and will run like that for 10 minutes and then shuts down again. This time it wont turn over until it sits for 15 minutes and  again will go into Guardian. When the tech checks it with the computer no codes show up. I have had 3 different marine service centers try to find the problem with no luck. They have replace plugs and battery. This has happened 4 times, twice having to be towed in. I heed help.

I had the same problem with mine (350 Mag goes into guardian mode when throttling up) and it turned out to be the impeller was not pushing enough water thru - so had it replaced and everything was fine.  The impeller was due to be changed - > 2 years old.

The fact that after it dies there is no power to the starter still points me to an electrical issue. A bad starter switch would not kill the engine once it was running. Does the boat have a kill switch? If so, check the wires for corrosion or bypass it completely.

But then, if the kill switch was the issue the engine would still turn over but not fire. I hope when you figure this one out you report back so we can all learn from the issues.