Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimBrown

270 Signature advice

9 posts in this topic

After an earlier thread where I asked about what could be a good boat for Lake Michigan, I've been warming to the idea of a 270 Signature. 

I've been doing some looking at used Signatures online and have noticed the most popular power plant for that boat seems to be the 300 hp Volvo. There are a few Mercruisers in that same category and I've seen one or two with the Merc 377 Mag. 

I'm curious if anyone here has one of these boats with a 300 hp engine and what they think of the performance. My Sunesta has the Merc 350 Mag with the Bravo III and I've been very happy with that combination, but I wonder if the 300 hp is enough to push a 270. Would I regret a boat like this? I don't want a dog and would like to still be able to pull the kids on the tube, etc. 

This forum is always a great place for advice and I've learned a lot over the last couple of years. I really like how open people are with thoughts about their own boats and that's what I'm hoping for now. 

Thanks!

You will want more than 300hp pushing the pre 2010 Sig 270.

There are a few 270s with an 8.1 in them out there. Most dealers wont order it for stock because of the extra 10 g's for the motor. 

25 minutes ago, Richard W said:

You will want more than 300hp pushing the pre 2010 Sig 270.

You have the 8.1 in yours? How is your cruise/top speed in that boat? 

Also, were there significant hull changes in later models? I've been looking at boats in the 2013 - 2015ish range. 

Starting in 2010 Chap, and other brands, renumbered their line to include the now integrated swim deck into LOA. The same boat which was called Sig 250 pre 2010 became Sig 270 in 2010 and after. The Sig 270 LOA 29 feet was discontinued for MY2010.

So, we are not comparing the same boats but my 2007 Sig 270 with 8.1L 375HP was achieving 50MPH at WOT. After painting the bottom with barrier coat it can get to 47.5MPH now, all with the less aggressive F4 props. The hole shot is impressive for this size of a boat ... thanks to big block torque and F4 combination.

7 minutes ago, Richard W said:

Starting in 2010 Chap, and other brands, renumbered their line to include the now integrated swim deck into LOA. The same boat which was called Sig 250 pre 2010 became Sig 270 in 2010 and after. The Sig 270 LOA 29 feet was discontinued for MY2010.

So, we are not comparing the same boats but my 2007 Sig 270 with 8.1L 375HP was achieving 50MPH at WOT. After painting the bottom with barrier coat it can get to 47.5MPH now, all with the less aggressive F4 props. The hole shot is impressive for this size of a boat ... thanks to big block torque and F4 combination.

I understand now. I wonder how much lighter the "newer" 270 is versus the older boat? And how much of a difference it would make? 

It sounds like you get pretty good performance from yours. 

Not a big weight difference, some 550lbs of dry weight. Remember, it's dry weight of a standard boat, the options like heavier engine, genset, etc are not included.

Here is my cheat sheet from when I was shopping ...

large.image.jpeg.eddb3b6872712924dd8f803

Performance and fuel economy under normal cruising speed is even more important than WOT. My boat with big block has two economical modes, 1400rpm at 7.5MPH and 3400 at 30MPH (plus/minus based on wind/wave conditions). In both cases the fuel economy is around 2.5MPG ... pretty good for a big block, and because of a big block that appears to be as good or better than any smaller engine.

I don't see 300 being enough for a 270.  I have a Sig 290 with twin Mercruiser 5.0 MPIs with Bravo III outdrives, each with 260HP.  Would be great a great size boat for Lake Michigan that is known to have high seas at times, and the boat is also powerful and quick enough for tubing and skiing.  Plenty of power!

I have the 27' 2008 250 Sig with the 350 Mag MPI Bravo III (300HP).  I can squeeze 37mph out of it even with full fuel and a passenger load.  Hole shot isn't "impressive", but gets on plane without problems and that is with bottom paint and with or without trim tabs deployed.

It all depends on what you're looking for.  I will say that while towing a Super Mable with a couple kids on it is fun, a little more HP would make it more suitable.

Regarding best cruise, I can do 25-27mph at 4000-4200 RPM.