Shayes9761

Add a generator to Signature 290???

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone done this?  We found a 2007 290 Signature that we love (66K) but it doesn't have a generator. Has anyone added one after the fact?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

I have a Sig 280 - pretty much the same boat and though mine came with a Gen.  I recently had to replace it.  A 5K Kohler will sit perfectly on top of your gas tank.

1 hour ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

I have a Sig 280 - pretty much the same boat and though mine came with a Gen.  I recently had to replace it.  A 5K Kohler will sit perfectly on top of your gas tank.

Sounds good? I'm not sure if this  boat is even wired for a generator. What was the cost of having yours replaced? 

Shawn

I personally don't think it's a good idea unless it's pre-wired for one and you have a shop that knows what they are doing.  The biggest thing is the transfer switch so that it know if you are running on shore power or generator.  Then they need to drill a holl in your boat since the generators are water cooled.  

I'd find a boat with the generator already.

I would also try to find a boat with a genny.

The price of install will be much greater than a replacement.

Although you will have a new genny.

Make sure you find someone who has experience with a new install.

Good luck!

I have a 2005 270 Sig, dual Volvos and slightly smaller than yours I think.  Mine did not come with generator, but appears to me to have the transfer switch built into the switch panel where the 120v gauge and the on/off breakers are.  Dealer told me my boat is pre-wired to some degree for a generator.

I looked at boat shows into adding a generator, and got rough quotes around 8-10K installed in Annapolis area (about 4-5K was the actual Kohler gas unit).  I did learn that the Kohler generators available now are lower CO emission than in 2005, so that's a positive to installing one now. 

In the end, I couldn't justify the cost for our use, and I figure we'll just plug in at marinas if it's too hot.  That said, keeping the boat I know and adding a generator is preferable to wading into a boat sale and purchase of a new boat just to get a generator.  I've also considered a portable Honda 3000handi or a Champion2800 for the stern swim platform as a cheaper fallback... Lots of people have strong opinions on each side about wisdom of portable generators on a boat.

Also, a 12v 10" fan that I picked up at West Marine years ago helps us keep (sort of) cool.

This is my first boat with a genny.

I do like having the convenience.

I dont like the service aspect....Kohler sucks period.

I have a portable honda and it would be fine during the day.

I am not sure I would be comfortable sleeping with it.

Even the Honda and Yamaha generator are too noisy for the lake at night.  Sound travels far on the water.   I'd strongly recommend one built in already so you don't have to worry about the CO2. 

Cyclops = (_I_)head. give it a rest pal you might think you own stock in merc!

Mid to late model 290's are pretty much pre-wired for a Gen set.  You really just have to all around for price quotes.  I had a guy swap my old one out for a new one for 300 deer.  Now installing one on a boat that never had one will definitely be more.   By the way, I had a Kohler for 9 years in my old boat, did my routine maintenance on it and I never had any issues with it. 

Have a generator on my 05 Sig 290.   Searched for a boat that had one for better resale.  In reality, we dont use it much at all for what we do.  Adds weight and a little year end maintenance. 

Some without a generator instead install extra batteries and an AC inverter.   This might work for you depending what you want to do.

I assume that my Kohler is not safe to run overnight while sleeping, but if someone knows different let me know.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:49 PM, Jjlai724 said:

Even the Honda and Yamaha generator are too noisy for the lake at night.  Sound travels far on the water.   I'd strongly recommend one built in already so you don't have to worry about the CO2. 

Even with a genset CO2 can be a problem, so don't dismiss it. But the cost of putting one in is very high. Almost worth upgrading/replacing your boat. I bought a 2.2K inverter generator for 600. We only use it when away from the slip on vacation. We go away twice during the summer for one week at a time.  Recharge the batteries, make coffee and hot water for showers.

23 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Even with a genset CO2 can be a problem, so don't dismiss it. But the cost of putting one in is very high. Almost worth upgrading/replacing your boat. I bought a 2.2K inverter generator for 600. We only use it when away from the slip on vacation. We go away twice during the summer for one week at a time.  Recharge the batteries, make coffee and hot water for showers.

What's your battery bank look like behind the inverter?

Every year boaters with over night generators running either almost die or do die when the wind changes direction on bow & stern anchors.

Tide runs fast enough..... to let a side breeze  blow the generator exhaust up the side. Exhaust is hotter than the air.  Rises, cools a lot & is pulled into the boat. Purely a Russian Roulette condition to live with.

That is why a good marina WILL NOT LET ANY GENERATORS RUN WHILE TIED TO THEIR DOCKS OR  PIERS.   Just to big of a lawsuit risk. They should know they are risking CO poisoning.

You have to work out a safer way. When anchored.  If the CO alarm fails ?  No second chances.

I honestly do not know how safe running the main engine at idle with their underwater exhaust would be in a worst case condition. I mention that If you put a 200amp alternator on the engine to power everything ............No advice on you doing what I & others have done.

2 hours ago, sburke91 said:

What's your battery bank look like behind the inverter?

Maybe I misled you, I have a "inverter generator" which is gas driven. I call it a suit case generator, its small and about 50lbs. I have 3 house batteries which are 70ah each. That power the fridge, pumps and lighting. 

If we get a slip somewhere, we plug in. But at time where on the hook. So I run the generator for 30 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night. I use it to recharge the batteries, coffee in the morning and hot water. I can only turn on two of the three at the same time.     

18 hours ago, Iggy said:

Maybe I misled you, I have a "inverter generator" which is gas driven. I call it a suit case generator, its small and about 50lbs. I have 3 house batteries which are 70ah each. That power the fridge, pumps and lighting. 

If we get a slip somewhere, we plug in. But at time where on the hook. So I run the generator for 30 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night. I use it to recharge the batteries, coffee in the morning and hot water. I can only turn on two of the three at the same time.     

I missed the "generator" part of the sentence--must have read it too quickly. 

51 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

I missed the "generator" part of the sentence--must have read it too quickly. 

I do it all the time............:rolleyes:

Don't worry about CO2, be afraid of CO in your boat. Having said that, I found a little to worry about CO coming into the boat from a properly installed generator. The side exhaust truhull mounted just above the waterline, and gases properly muffed and mixed with cooling water stay low and disperse with slightest wind without entering the boat's interior. The bigger problem is an engine left running at idle and the exhaust gases creeping over a swim platform, and the biggest is the station wagon effect at speed when the exhaust gases are sucked into the boat's interior.

We use our (properly installed) generator often on hook and in the marinas, and never had a slightest issue. We had a number of CO alarms when cruising at speed with the camper on. Now, we use an additional battery operated CO detector in the cockpit when the camper is on.

And yes, I would look for a boat with a generator properly installed by the factory already.

I had the same concern last year (and asked the same question here on the forum) when I was looking for a 290, I ended with a 2004 but I let go a lot of 2009-11-13 because they haven't the genny (a must for me). I don't regret a thing about letting those boats go even if they were more recent than mine, so my advice would be... wait for the boat loaded with everything you want... for so much money you want it exactly as you want it to be ;)