Sparazaider

2008 Chaparral SIG 290 Reviews/Input

15 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon everyone, and happy Friday!

I'm new into the bigger boats like these, but have years of boating experience. I took out a 24ft sea ray and hated it, to small for me, lack of power, etc.. the Sig 290 seems perfect for what we are looking to do on the lake.

I was looking for some input on the 2008 Sig 290. This boat will be on Lake Michigan, and has low hours.

Any real issues I should be aware of, maint, common issues, etc.. 

It has the dual 5.0 Volvo engines, which I do like a lot! 

Anything to help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great and safe weekend on the waters!

Make sure you have a local trusted VP mechanic. They seem harder to find. 

What outdrives do you have on the Chap?

What are your primary end goals for the boat? 

I'm not sure which outdrives it has. I just know it's the stock volvos 5.0 motors with duoprops.  

This boat will be used for just cruising around chicago area, maybe a long trip up to St. Joe Michigan. Other then that just local rides. 

13 minutes ago, Sparazaider said:

I'm not sure which outdrives it has. I just know it's the stock volvos 5.0 motors with duoprops.  

This boat will be used for just cruising around chicago area, maybe a long trip up to St. Joe Michigan. Other then that just local rides. 

XDP drives are the ones you don't want.  Im not sure on this but XDPs were black and weren't duo prop.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

XDP drives are the ones you don't want.  Im not sure on this but XDPs were black and weren't duo prop.

XDP drives are black, and each drive has two propellers.

2 hours ago, Sparazaider said:

These are grey lol

Grey is good.

I think it would be hard to find a boat with the XDP's still on it. They have pretty much all grenaded by now but ask the question and if XDP's - RUN.

I have a similar boat.

I enjoy it as it is a perfect size for me.

I have the volvo engines.

Service may be a bit harder find so check it out

I have a 2007 290 with the 5.0 Volvos.  Great boat.  You will really like having the 5.0s. 

I have a 2011 290 with volvos 4.3 L engines. More than enough power, 225hp each.  No big problems that I know of. My only concern is the port hole windows. There slanted inwards and fill up with water. The other thing, there is a lot of free-board. It acts as a sail and thows the bow. Which makes it hard to dock in medium to high winds. 

We used to have a 21' cuddy, sold it a few years ago, and got back into boating this year with a Signature 300.  Some of my experiences are that it is harder, but easier to drive.  Harder because the wind does push you around a lot more.  Easier though, since the twins give you a bit more maneuverability.  We have used ours to go on trips around the area, but haven't ventured on a long term trip yet.  Probably next year once I get the bugs worked out and get more comfortable piloting.   We live on our boat several nights in a row.  My wife has summers off, so she and my daughter come up to relax.  It is a bit tight once we have our dog on board, but very manageable.  We actually used the shower today as the marina shower was invaded by a swarm of yellow jackets.  I think the 2008 has the table that drops to V-berth and a settee.  Ours has permanent v-berth and dinette.  We spend most of our time up on deck anyway, so we really are fine with the layout.   I think the 2008 290 is similar in layout on the deck as ours.  We do not like the rounded back of the side seat.  Not really that comfortable to lay on as your legs stick out too far off the edge.  Looking at the pics, the 2008 straightens the side lounge out a little, but looks to still have rounded corners.  

Greatly appreciate everything guys! Does anyone know anyone selling a nice one. Im willing to go to a 310 and by budget is $65k right now