Sign in to follow this  
CrusinSam

'02 183 SS Leaking Fluid At Helm

Recently purchased a nice low hours(160) 2002 183SS. I noticed a few drops of fluid on the carpet and looked up to find the helm leaking where the steering cable comes in.  I put a ziplock bag on it to catch the leak and continued using it.  Here is what I've noticed in the couple trips I've taken it out on since buying it:

The steering wheel doesn't seem to be indexed correctly.  

It steers fine at cruising speed but doesn't seem to do as well at slow speeds(docking or trailering)

I am a serious Do It Yourselfer and would like to fix it. Do I just need to purchase the Teleflex 91523 helm and drop it in or is their a seal on the end of the cable that needs to be replaced?  I appreciate any feedback or help!!!

What kind of fluid is it? Is it water? Does your speedometer work?

Yup. If it is water, it is likely from your speedo. If it is hydraulic fluid, then from the helm. A repair should be cheaper. 

brick

Might be a loosened hydraulic line connector. Pinpoint the part leaking. Might just need a careful retightening.  Or a leaking O ring on the steering shaft.

7 hours ago, CrusinSam said:

Speedo works fine and it's not water.  I'm assuming it's hydraulic or power steering fluid.  

Do you cover the boat and leave it in the sun?

I bet its grease from the cable attached to the steering wheel. The heat is making the grease drip.