dn0349

2018 Discontinued Boats

125 posts in this topic

Well after the dealer meeting it looks like Chaparral has really trimmed the boat offerings.  The SSI line has taken a big hit.

The only available SSI is the 246.  In addition the 284 Sunesta (not a surprise), Signature 290 and SSX 277 are all gone.

I might have missed one too

I was on their site earlier today and noticed the last cuddy model (265?) was gone too.  I see their plan looks to focus on entry level and watersports.  But they are leaving a potential segment high and dry?  I think Sea Ray is OK with that though, they have an offering for just about everyone it seams.  Though I wonder if Sea Ray will trim back on some models?  

The 307 and 337 SSX are pretty cool hybrids, great bow rider capacity with some semblance of cabin.  I haven't seen a Signature 290 on their site is sometime, just the 270.  I like their layouts of Sig 310 and 330.  Though, as I get older, I think I will be interested in the used boat market for a Sea Ray 350 Coupe in a few years (I have a daughter to get through college in a couple of years).  I think someone here indicated Chaparral was looking at something in the closed in coupe styling.  

Kinda bummed about the 277 cause I like the styling.  Not a fan of the new 285 SSX.  The dropped the nice sleek lines like the 257, 277, 307, 337

i could be in the market for a 26-28 foot cuddy (maybe express cruiser) in a few years, but not much around.  And with CruiserYachts retiring the 279, theres even less.   

46 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Kinda bummed about the 277 cause I like the styling.  Not a fan of the new 285 SSX.  The dropped the nice sleek lines like the 257, 277, 307, 337

Agree, it looks like a fussy Regal or Cobalt at the stern, not a fan of the droopy boat tail look and the swim platform line running up the sides... Colored gel coat exposed to the sun like that is also asking for fading issues.

8 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Agree, it looks like a fussy Regal or Cobalt at the stern, not a fan of the droopy boat tail look and the swim platform line running up the sides... Colored gel coat exposed to the sun like that is also asking for fading issues.

As a 277 SSX owner I'm glad I got it when I did. The 287 SSX was not as nice at all. I've had issues with the folding arch but it's been much better since a complete rebuild. I have yet to find a boat I'd rather have and suspect I won't for a long time.

Interesting - it appears the website has been updated to reflect the changes.  It looks like they have trimmed some of the overlap.

I would have thought that fiscally they would be doing pretty well in the current environment.  This looks like they are pulling the purse strings tighter.  

Most notable to me was the absence of the Vortex line on their website today.  Perhaps I am ready too much into that???

I still like my 2005 220SSi. 

She's about to be a teenager...

brick

Simply, dump what is not selling, keep what is. Same as most other recreational builders are doing.

I've been in the marine industry for 11 years. It's cyclical. In 3 or 4 years, you will see some of what has been dropped, re-appear

with some re-design and new nomenclature. Just normal stuff for builders in todays' market.

25 minutes ago, VAboater said:

Interesting - it appears the website has been updated to reflect the changes.  It looks like they have trimmed some of the overlap.

I would have thought that fiscally they would be doing pretty well in the current environment.  This looks like they are pulling the purse strings tighter.  

Most notable to me was the absence of the Vortex line on their website today.  Perhaps I am ready too much into that???

boat market has been down for years.  Manufactures have continued to go out of business.  I believe its due to the economy and cost.  Economy is back but think people are reluctant to spend on toys still.  Also the price of new boats even your average boats have gotten out of hand.  Most people are willing to spend 20-30k on something new, but not 60 plus for your run of the mill chap, sea ray etc for something that's 22-24ft.  just not happening.  So I think their line up reflects what market really wants or can afford.

Also cylical,  look at SUVs they got blacked balled 4-5 years ago, now that's all they sell.  Trucks and SUVs are about to dip again in the near future IMVHO, price point is going to break the bottom out on them.

I was really surprised on the SSI line.  It is virtually gone now so either they will completely remove that line or they are redesigning them. My guess is the cost difference between the H20 and SSI line was too much for most people.  The Signature series does seem to continue to get smaller and smaller from Chaparral.  I also think the Suncoast is gaining in popularity. 

I did notice the Vortex is missing from the "our boats" section but they are still available at http://www.vortexboats.com/  which makes you wonder why the separation. 

I really hope this is part of them aligning themselves to provide better built boats and higher quality control too.

I wonder if spinning off the Vortex into its own brand would let some of the Chap dealers off the hook to sell and service them?  It also would make it easier to sell off as a discrete unit if you desired to raise some capital.  I'm sure there is a certain quanta of energy and dollars that goes into educating the sales and service staff with jet engines and medallion electronics.   Not to mention unique parts, etc...  

Well they do what they do.

I love my 256ssi, never really liked the ssx line because of the limited access to the engine. 

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

boat market has been down for years.  Manufactures have continued to go out of business.  I believe its due to the economy and cost.  Economy is back but think people are reluctant to spend on toys still.  Also the price of new boats even your average boats have gotten out of hand.  Most people are willing to spend 20-30k on something new, but not 60 plus for your run of the mill chap, sea ray etc for something that's 22-24ft.  just not happening.  So I think their line up reflects what market really wants or can afford.

Also cylical,  look at SUVs they got blacked balled 4-5 years ago, now that's all they sell.  Trucks and SUVs are about to dip again in the near future IMVHO, price point is going to break the bottom out on them.

In Virginia it seems that people are dropping 100K on wake boats left and right.  (or maybe they are just signing 10 yr loans?).  

You are right that the SUVs have hit "peak auto", but they will continue to sell for a good while.  

3 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Just told the local dealer yesterday the new 285 looks like a Monterrey to me. Especially with the notch at the bottom of the tower and the way the lines are. He took another look at the brochure and agreed with me.

Chap is just another boat name that is owned by the conglomerate.  No sense competing among them selves. Reducing designers, stylists, P R. WE know the routine

Charge more for less.

The economy IS NOT picking up at all. Each year the public that is employed is paid less. The H1B , H2b imported help do not buy toys.

26 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Chap is just another boat name that is owned by the conglomerate.  No sense competing among them selves. Reducing designers, stylists, P R. WE know the routine

Charge more for less.

The economy IS NOT picking up at all. Each year the public that is employed is paid less. The H1B , H2b imported help do not buy toys.

Chaparral is not owned by a conglomerate, unless you classify Chaparral, Robalo and now Vortex as a "conglomerate".    I think they are the last "independent" of any size. 

I was an H1B years ago - and  I have purchased 4 Chaparrals...

brick

2 hours ago, VAboater said:

I wonder if spinning off the Vortex into its own brand would let some of the Chap dealers off the hook to sell and service them?  It also would make it easier to sell off as a discrete unit if you desired to raise some capital.  I'm sure there is a certain quanta of energy and dollars that goes into educating the sales and service staff with jet engines and medallion electronics.   Not to mention unique parts, etc...  

It doesn't appear they make their dealers stock all of their product lines.  My local dealer has never had a suncoast or Signature in their dealer inventory. 

Brunswick owns Chap and 19 other boat brands. Marine motor companies. & non marine also.

2 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Brunswick owns Chap and 19 other boat brands. Marine motor companies. & non marine also.

Brunswick does not own Chaparral. Brunswick does own Mercury, SeaRay, Bayliner and others...

brick

1 hour ago, crvtt771 said:

It doesn't appear they make their dealers stock all of their product lines.  My local dealer has never had a suncoast or Signature in their dealer inventory. 

Correct Suncoast and Vortex are different.  My local Chaparral dealer can not sell either.  If I want one of those I have to go 75 miles north.

You are both correct. I am still recalling the 2001 shuffle of Brunswick Boat Group & R P C  involving Robalo & Chaparral

Old non updated mind.

Not a fan at all of the new 287. Was disappointed as I liked my 256 and wanted to stay with a Chaparral