dn0349

2018 Discontinued Boats

125 posts in this topic

Wow - thats too bad.  The general bow rider is going by the way side.  This is similar to what a lot of other markets are doing - you go to the niche store to get your specialty.  There's a lot of examples of this - K-Mart, Sears, Macy's, etc. etc.  I'm very happy now with my 226 SSI but if I ever shop for another boat I'll be looking beyond Chaparral.

I saw a boattest on the 191 Suncoast yesterday.  Umm... No thanks...  That thing looks way out of place in their lineup to me.  I know the look is different, but I really like the 287SSX.  I also still don't get the 21 H2O O/B.  They need to do something else with what used to be the engine compartment besides a huge storage locker.  Just my $.02

13 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Chap is just another boat name that is owned by the conglomerate.  No sense competing among them selves. Reducing designers, stylists, P R. WE know the routine

Charge more for less.

The economy IS NOT picking up at all. Each year the public that is employed is paid less. The H1B , H2b imported help do not buy toys.

Peoples per hour wage has not grown like it should.  But most indicators like inflation, stock market, housing market, unemployment have trended up showing a healthier improving economy, so you are wrong in that aspect.

13 hours ago, VAboater said:

In Virginia it seems that people are dropping 100K on wake boats left and right.  (or maybe they are just signing 10 yr loans?).  

You are right that the SUVs have hit "peak auto", but they will continue to sell for a good while.  

People are just doing 10-12 year notes on them that's all, and that's to get it down to a 7-800 a month payment, they cant afford it plain and simple, think they can but they cant.

Many articles out there predicting the bottom following out on truck and SUV prices, probably go on for a while but eventually the market will reset them.  Manufactures already the past few years are giving 20%off to get rid of trucks and SUVs.

17 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I was on their site earlier today and noticed the last cuddy model (265?) was gone too.  I see their plan looks to focus on entry level and watersports.  But they are leaving a potential segment high and dry?  I think Sea Ray is OK with that though, they have an offering for just about everyone it seams.  Though I wonder if Sea Ray will trim back on some models?  

The 307 and 337 SSX are pretty cool hybrids, great bow rider capacity with some semblance of cabin.  I haven't seen a Signature 290 on their site is sometime, just the 270.  I like their layouts of Sig 310 and 330.  Though, as I get older, I think I will be interested in the used boat market for a Sea Ray 350 Coupe in a few years (I have a daughter to get through college in a couple of years).  I think someone here indicated Chaparral was looking at something in the closed in coupe styling.  

I also wonder what Sea Ray will do.  Obviously the entry level boats sell very well for both brands. Sea Ray  has the SPX line to compete with the H20 line. I know Sea Ray is adding a 23' to their SPX line in 2018. It will be interesting to see what else they do.

I also agree that it seems like the watersports/wakeboats are selling no matter what the price point. I've just decided to get rid of my bowrider and get a pontoon.  It's my way of gaining some more room, and being able to avoid the rough ride I get as a result of all the watersport boats on our lake, especially on weekends.

I would like to see a twin engine Suncoast in the 28 foot range   Also why don't the lengths match the model number

14 minutes ago, jdsdls05 said:

I would like to see a twin engine Suncoast in the 28 foot range   Also why don't the lengths match the model number

Yea, something like this would be a nice addition.

regal_29obx_outboard_2016.jpg

I'm having trouble getting on the outboard bandwagon.  I'm still a big fan of Euro styled, sleek I/O boats.  I hate the square, chiseled look like Cobalt has.  I prefer the hidden engine of an I/O.  Plus I gotta have my big block rumble!!

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I'm having trouble getting on the outboard bandwagon.  I'm still a big fan of Euro styled, sleek I/O boats.  I hate the square, chiseled look like Cobalt has.  I prefer the hidden engine of an I/O.  Plus I gotta have my big block rumble!!

outboards make sense and are better in just about every way, except in looks their fugly, and if you have to replace one or do a major repair good luck 

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I'm kinda liking the Cruisers Sport Series 298.  

Aren't they just the rebranded Azure designs? Have you actually been on one? The ones I toured at the boat show this year were "interesting" in their layouts with a lot of steps up, down, and around things, and functional items, like boarding ladders, in awkward locations.

16 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Aren't they just the rebranded Azure designs? Have you actually been on one? The ones I toured at the boat show this year were "interesting" in their layouts with a lot of steps up, down, and around things, and functional items, like boarding ladders, in awkward locations.

yes but improved and now built well by Cruisers.  In looking at photos, I like the look and layout

The South Beach Edition with the Saddle interior is striking, but I wonder if I would get tired of it after a while because it is so intense of a color combo.

image_2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

The South Beach Edition with the Saddle interior is striking, but I wonder if I would get tired of it after a while because it is so intense of a color combo.

image_2.jpg

Darker color interiors can be very hot to sit on...

brick

41 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

image_2.jpg

To each his own but they have been coming back out with this in cars and such to, IMVHO looks like crap not to mention the heat factor.  Just see a boat like this looking old and dated real quick.

I'm not of fan of that color combo.  But I really like that boat.  I also like the Monterey 298.  One of the nice things too about this Cruisers is the 8'6 beam vs. most others in the same size range that have a 9' beam.  Easier for trailering, slip rental and also helps with performance

The Brisa fabric, by Ultrafabrics, used by Cruiser's is actually cooler in dark colors than conventional white vinyl that Chaparral uses. 10% cooler they claim.

The Brisa Collection features climate control technology, which makes it exceptionally resistant to temperature changes so it stays cooler in the sun and resists cracking in the cold. Brisa's breathable technology enhances its softness and promotes airflow circulation for ultimate seating comfort. It has a unique internal cellular structure which captures and dissipates sound for noise reduction when combined with foam backing or paneling. This leather-like material is a joy to sit on and will bring beauty and elegance to any boat .

I have been on several cruiser's boats recently, and the darker color's are cooler than the beige/white that is in our 235ssi.

I was reading an marine industry blog somewhere and supposedly the tan  interior color scheme that has become available on so many different boats is now last years news.  They say the next big color trend is slate and gray colored interiors.

2 hours ago, newboat2016 said:

I was reading an marine industry blog somewhere and supposedly the tan  interior color scheme that has become available on so many different boats is now last years news.  They say the next big color trend is slate and gray colored interiors.

Its funny how colors seem to follow trends.  My daughter and I took a walk through the docks at the marina.  We could tell the vintage of the various boats by the color schemes of the graphics and interior.  She asked what of of drugs we did in the late 80s and early 90s to think pinks and turquoises were cool. 

1 hour ago, Roady68 said:

Its funny how colors seem to follow trends.  My daughter and I took a walk through the docks at the marina.  We could tell the vintage of the various boats by the color schemes of the graphics and interior.  She asked what of of drugs we did in the late 80s and early 90s to think pinks and turquoises were cool. 

LOL, I remember I loved the pink & turquoise Bajas and Formulas of the 80/early 90s!  Prior to that, it was brown!!

11 hours ago, Toddavid said:

image_2.jpg

Certainly not a fan of that color combo either.  

Is it just me, or does that swim platform look like its about 2' from the water?

I always like white plastic. Cool enough to bare skin in N J & N Y summer.   Best thing about white Is I can use a BLEACH soaked cloth to burn out bug & spider stains safely. The black accent trim is not a stain problem.

I think it  is for easy entrance from a  float dock.

11 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I always like white plastic. Cool enough to bare skin in N J & N Y summer.   Best thing about white Is I can use a BLEACH soaked cloth to burn out bug & spider stains safely.

And the bleach will also damage your stitching. Then maybe you  can replace your white plastic seats with white vinyl seats.:P

First 2002 186 SSI only bleach on  CLOTH. I NEVER LET LIQUID RUN INTO THE SEAMS. I thought I had checked with Robin ? at Chap about no cotton? Only synthetic stitches. Rain water would rot out anything organic.

My used second 2002 186 is getting the bleach soaked cloth for all stains. Bright sunlight 5 to 10 minutes. Wipe excess bleach spots with fresh water & clean cloths.  Good for me.   :)

If I had won the recent $700m+ lotto, I would have definitely upgraded to a larger boat. With that kinda cash I would have skipped over the Sig270[which is my favorite]. But I didn't win so I'm sticking with my 30 year old Cuddy Chap until one of us goes out of service.

My friends keep telling me to buy a new one but as mentioned above, to replace my 23 footer would go into the $60K's.  Just won't happen under current conditions. Buying another used one potentially brings an unknown problem. With my current Chap, I know it well and its running well [excluding the dinged prop]. She stays!