dn0349

2018 Discontinued Boats

125 posts in this topic

Not surprised.  I'm looking at the water on my porch overlooking my large lake.  You would think it is illegal to not own a pontoon or actual surf boat. Nobody is buying bowriders, nobody went the jet boat route and you bether have a couple of waverunners on your lift.  Tastes have changed and to my chagrin, pontoons are taking over and the bowriders is dying.

I meet a few guys in LOTO this year that sold their bowriders and bought pontoons. More room and they ride better, they say. But I saw a few pontoons taking a pounding on the lake, so you cant tell me they ride smoother.

I'd argue that my 226 ssi handles chop as well if not better than most pontoons. That being said there are lots of boat builders that can't claim that in a 22-1/2' boat... 

9 hours ago, Toddler said:

I meet a few guys in LOTO this year that sold their bowriders and bought pontoons. More room and they ride better, they say. But I saw a few pontoons taking a pounding on the lake, so you cant tell me they ride smoother.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I just spend the first weekend with my new pontoon boat, and it rides MUCH, MUCH smoother on our choppy lake, then any of the smallish (25' or less) bowriders I've been in on the same lake in the same conditions.. Considering this was one of the biggest holiday weekends of the year, there was plenty of chop to give it a good test. 

I really agonized about going from a "real" boat to a pontoon boat, but all it took was 7 people on my boat  yesterday, with plenty of room to stretch out and relax and the admiral never telling me to "slow down, it's too rough", to convince me it was the right choice.

I have learned over the last few weeks that that tritoons ride much better than pontoons, so you may have been seeing some of the pontoons getting knocked around.

I wonder if the 287 signals a new design direction for Chap?  All of their other current boats have the same style, especially on the side view headed into the swim platform. The 287 is completely different and if it didn't have any logos you'd be hard pressed to guess it was a Chaparral.

11 hours ago, crvtt771 said:

I wonder if the 287 signals a new design direction for Chap?  All of their other current boats have the same style, especially on the side view headed into the swim platform. The 287 is completely different and if it didn't have any logos you'd be hard pressed to guess it was a Chaparral.

I hope not as I prefer the styling of the 257, 307, etc.

Tritoons along with lifting strakes are a whole different ballgame compared to the pontoons handling-wise.  I haven't ever seen a phenomenon like the sudden move to pontoons and tritoons.  Even the suv boom back in the day wasn't this dramatic.  So many times on my lake, It's 100% pontoons, waverunners and me on my Chaparral.  Not always but often.  Seeing some very expensive ones now with the arch and full windshield set up like a bowrider with big singles and twins.  I could get onboard with one of those I think. I checked out the Chap offering this weekend and wow...one SSI and that's it.  The writing is on the wall.  Lots of cheap H20's though.  

20 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Tritoons along with lifting strakes are a whole different ballgame compared to the pontoons handling-wise.  I haven't ever seen a phenomenon like the sudden move to pontoons and tritoons.  Even the suv boom back in the day wasn't this dramatic.  So many times on my lake, It's 100% pontoons, waverunners and me on my Chaparral.  Not always but often.  Seeing some very expensive ones now with the arch and full windshield set up like a bowrider with big singles and twins.  I could get onboard with one of those I think. I checked out the Chap offering this weekend and wow...one SSI and that's it.  The writing is on the wall.  Lots of cheap H20's though.  

well if they can make them handle and not swamp they are an attractive package. combined with the fact that they can go 50mph now. Still don't care how well they are built they are one good wave away from being swamped though.

blech, I'll never be converted to a toon!!  No style, just a floating box.  I'll gladly hang out on my friends while on the hook, but I'll stick with a sleek & powerful v-bottom anyday.

Yeah pontoons and wake boats are huge right now.  The marina where we keep our boat the slips are 60% pontoons and it keeps going up.  The lake where the cabin is easily a wake boat and pontoon at the dock.   Some of the pontoons are decked out to the max and look very sharp.  They are not your old person boat anymore and surprised how many young families buying them.  This past weekend it was pretty choppy on the lake and we got passed by a pontoon with double 250 Mercs on it.  He was flying and cutting through the wake like butter.  All while the wife was in a very comfortable looking lounge chair just chilling.  Now having said that my wife will not allow me to even look at the pontoons! 

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

well if they can make them handle and not swamp they are an attractive package. combined with the fact that they can go 50mph now. Still don't care how well they are built they are one good wave away from being swamped though.

They come in all price levels, sizes and amenities but am seeing more and more of the upper level versions.  I saw one last week that had a set of steps up to the elevated helm station and copilot station maybe 4 steps above the main deck with an arch and a single 300.  One of my buddies explained how he took a rogue wave on his and it tore right through the metal skirting.  I saw one this weekend and swear it had 50 people on it.  Saw another older one with way too many people and too many were standing at the front as they took a large wave and they all scrambled to the back as both tubes went under water...that was an old beater of a pontoon though.  The twin 150's and twin 300's do better than 50 though.  I just saw one with triple 175's on it as well.  It's pontoon/tritoon maddness around me.  

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

They come in all price levels, sizes and amenities but am seeing more and more of the upper level versions.  I saw one last week that had a set of steps up to the elevated helm station and copilot station maybe 4 steps above the main deck with an arch and a single 300.  One of my buddies explained how he took a rogue wave on his and it tore right through the metal skirting.  I saw one this weekend and swear it had 50 people on it.  Saw another older one with way too many people and too many were standing at the front as they took a large wave and they all scrambled to the back as both tubes went under water...that was an old beater of a pontoon though.  The twin 150's and twin 300's do better than 50 though.  I just saw one with triple 175's on it as well.  It's pontoon/tritoon maddness around me.  

I think ive heard of them going 70s.  Theyre cool but a toon and their construction hardly makes for a good experience when its rough. I forsee some accidents and issues in the future has they make their way into the hands of more and more people.  These boats are pond and river boats but are being built for all kind of water now.

59 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

I think ive heard of them going 70s.  Theyre cool but a toon and their construction hardly makes for a good experience when its rough. I forsee some accidents and issues in the future has they make their way into the hands of more and more people.  These boats are pond and river boats but are being built for all kind of water now.

Here's the crazy thing....the really powerful ones never go fast or if they do, it's not often.  I see the smaller hp ones wound out all the time hitting their 19mph max but the really desirable models with the big singles and twins are always just puttering along.  

3 years ago I saw a I O pontoon.  NO  O Bs.  Very quick acceleration from idle to full plane speed.

I think Cobalt was ahead of the curve by getting into the pontoon business when they did.  If I were buying new, I would probably go with a tritoon over a bow rider.   I buy used though so it'll be a few years until the kind of tritoon I want is in my price range.

Hopefully they are just re-designing/re-tooling the SSi line, since its been nearly 10 years since the current WT line was first introduced.  If not, this is very disappointing news.  This means one would have to look elsewhere for a high quality, well built small bowrider  As stated many times on this forum, the H20 line does not compare to the SSi.  The H20 even looks like a "cheap" boat with those fake engine compartment vents or whatever they are supposed to be.  In my opinion, the H20 diminishes/cheapens the Chaparral brand in the small bowrlder segment. Although my 2014 206 SSi is "small" bowrider, I continuously get compliments from other boaters on how nice the boat looks and how well it is built.  Lets hope Chaparral keeps the SSi line.

The SSi line is dead.  No body wants to spend that much for a bow rider anymore.  Lets face it, if Chaparral didn't make the H2o's, most buyers would buy a $35k-$40K boat built by someone else, and they still wouldn't sell many $70k SSi's.  The reason the SSi's are gone, is because they didn't sell.  

1 hour ago, TNBrett said:

The SSi line is dead.  No body wants to spend that much for a bow rider anymore.  Lets face it, if Chaparral didn't make the H2o's, most buyers would buy a $35k-$40K boat built by someone else, and they still wouldn't sell many $70k SSi's.  The reason the SSi's are gone, is because they didn't sell.  

On my lake, there are plenty of newer 20-22 Ft Cobalts running around. I would think these are at least as expensive, or probably more, than an SSi.

8 hours ago, GOBOYLE said:

On my lake, there are plenty of newer 20-22 Ft Cobalts running around. I would think these are at least as expensive, or probably more, than an SSi.

possibly but the market is shifting to over priced wake boats and more average priced bow riders just the way its going.

10 hours ago, GOBOYLE said:

I looked at Cobalts seriously before I pulled the trigger on my new Tritoon.  They have several models "value priced" from the mid 40's to lower 50's, so they are mucy closer to the H2O lineup in price than they are to the  SSI line.

51 minutes ago, newboat2016 said:

I looked at Cobalts seriously before I pulled the trigger on my new Tritoon.  They have several models "value priced" from the mid 40's to lower 50's, so they are mucy closer to the H2O lineup in price than they are to the  SSI line.

ill say it again the boat price bubble burst, trucks and suv's aren't going to be far behind it either.

26 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

ill say it again the boat price bubble burst, trucks and suv's aren't going to be far behind it either.

Until fuel prices spike, which doesn't look like will happen for a long time given the price of crude, I don't see any of those markets having a severe correction. It was amazing how quickly Americans returned to buying SUVs once gas dropped below $3/gal.

11 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Until fuel prices spike, which doesn't look like will happen for a long time given the price of crude, I don't see any of those markets having a severe correction. It was amazing how quickly Americans returned to buying SUVs once gas dropped below $3/gal.

yeah fuel prices will be the first indicator and will change things over night.  But without fuel prices I believe youll still see the bubble first if you look at certain indicators.  People have been keeping vehicles longer and taking longer notes on them the last few years according to some reports.  Also Factory rebates are trucks and suvs have been huge in the last few years. So I don't think you will see a huge burst like what fuel prices would do, but I forsee a market correction on these types of vehicles coming which I think its already happening in terms of the large factory rebates.