dn0349

2018 Discontinued Boats

125 posts in this topic

There are many things that I can't stand spending money on, but I never think twice about spending money on the boat for repairs, maintenance, etc. I like my boat and the times we have on her. I must be a true boater like Brick said. I also have a son in university. He had a job this summer, never missed a day and made 15K before tax. He is paying for his food, incidentals and books and rent. Makes you proud.

13 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

feels good I bet

Not really. They both moved off - no one to go boating with now...

brick

3 minutes ago, brick said:

brick

lol that's when you get a bunch of cats or something.

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

scariest part is now some of these schools are 60K+.  That's just insane!  We started college funds for both our kids when they were born so hopefully they will be set when the time comes.  We were in DC a few weeks ago and my 13 yr. old wanted to see Georgetown U.  Holy crap, 65K!!  That aint happening!!

A good friend of mine's daughter graduated from Georgetown Med School.  Walked away with her anesthesiology degree and $600k of student loans! 

20 minutes ago, Waterfun said:

Any idea how long it will take to break even?

Got two pharmacist in the family, went public but took 7-8 years to get their degrees.  They claim most of these medical types if they pay more then they should, should be clear of student loans by 35ish but takes dedication.  But they also know people with lofty loans, and are paying well into their 40s.   Happy medicine people average 300k a year or so, realistically they could break even in a few years.  After the gub takes 35%, living expenses etc.  Don't see these types paying off 600k in in less than 7-10 years. 

Just to give you an idea one pharmacist went public he pays out 800 per month in loans the other went private and is paying over 2000 a month in student loans.  Both jobs paying in the 120-130zone. 

21 minutes ago, newboat2016 said:

A good friend of mine's daughter graduated from Georgetown Med School.  Walked away with her anesthesiology degree and $600k of student loans! 

My son's best friend just started Duke on an athletic 'Scholarship'.  It's seventy something thousand per year but so few get accepted, the money isn't the deciding factor.   I think the numbers I'm seeing above on the cost of state universities are a bit on the low side or at least the ones we've been seeing.  15k yearly inclusive of room and board goes back a few years.  

People, I realize don't go to med school for the money many times, but Doctor's make a pittance compared to what a business degree can help you accomplish.  People think Doctor and high income but wow, it takes years to get past the debt once you finally start making money.  A guy I work with who has almost an endless bank account after the sale of his successful company is only paying for his daughters undergrad as she is premed.  Med school he says will be on her so she understands the sacrifice required plus he started as a popper and she just expects he should pay for everything.   

1 hour ago, Waterfun said:

Any idea how long it will take to break even?

An eternity.  Trust me.  Most docs are far below the cited 300K.  Try dividing by 2.

14 hours ago, VAboater said:

An eternity.  Trust me.  Most docs are far below the cited 300K.  Try dividing by 2.

well of course 300k is an average. and like you said not all doctors, lawyers, etc are rich or make big bokoo bucks, just not reality.  I don't live in the high professional crowd, but have some friends, friends of friends, family etc in those fields.  And there's lots of them not making money until they are well into their 40's after they had caught up.  But once they catch up and manage things right they usually get ahead.  but its investment to do things like that, and I think to a certain extent you have to love it, because a lot of people in those fields are going to sacrifice for 15-20 years of their life potentially longer until they can be financially successful.

My family doctor and dentist actually did it right.  Both went to the army had the army pay for their degrees, came out as officers, don't need to carry insurance in the army were probably making close to 6 figures or their 6-8 year commitment.  Both were out by mid 30s, no debt, experience and set up their own practices making 6 figures,  now that's the way to go.

15 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

15k yearly inclusive of room and board goes back a few years.  

just going by an average of public schools. most public schools are still at 3-400 per credit hour which at 24 credits per years is just shy of ten grand, of course you got books, room and board, fees etc.  So a good average is probably in the 15-20 range, but theres always scholarships, living at home, federal aid etc, With all of that combined its doubtful most kids are paying the full price.  But still an expensive proposition however you look at it.  Doing a job isn't always about money, you have to enjoy your self.  I can tell you after getting two degrees myself and having a few different jobs, if those degrees would have set me back financially with large loans and the money wasn't there to compenstate for it, its doubtful life would be as fun. 

4 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

just going by an average of public schools. most public schools are still at 3-400 per credit hour which at 24 credits per years is just shy of ten grand, of course you got books, room and board, fees etc.  So a good average is probably in the 15-20 range, but theres always scholarships, living at home, federal aid etc, With all of that combined its doubtful most kids are paying the full price.  But still an expensive proposition however you look at it.  Doing a job isn't always about money, you have to enjoy your self.  I can tell you after getting two degrees myself and having a few different jobs, if those degrees would have set me back financially with large loans and the money wasn't there to compenstate for it, its doubtful life would be as fun. 

Agreed...but college to me was a means to an end.  I wanted out as fast as humanly possible to start to earn money.  I didn't care about the college life and parties and all of that.  I just wanted to start life and stop being a poor person.  As it turned out my business degree lead me down a path that I couldn't have ever dreamed of in a million years as a kid.  I operate in a world of millionaires and billionaires and all of the lifestyle stuff that comes with it which oddly enough after doing it for almost 20 years, I'm now at the point where I'm fancied out. I hate fancy restaurants and over the top things but is how clients like to do their business. Of course my wife hates that I hate fancy stuff.  I still love it regardless and can't believe I get to do what I do.  When I tell my wife what I did on any particular trip, she just says to keep it to yourself because people will either hate you or just not believe you.  My dinner next to the royals in London story really makes her go off the deep end because of course it just sounds so unbelievable but also because nobody gives a rip about royals here.  All because of some hustle and a business degree that cost me about 80k out of my own pocket.  Physicians work way too hard and have to spend so much time in school to earn how little they actually earn.  I've got plenty of Physician friends but the upside is that they aren't always having to produce every dollar if they are an employed physican but receive a steady and reliable income.  Maybe only 400k or whatever but it's 400k year over year.  

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Agreed...but college to me was a means to an end.  I wanted out as fast as humanly possible to start to earn money.  I didn't care about the college life and parties and all of that.  I just wanted to start life and stop being a poor person.  As it turned out my business degree lead me down a path that I couldn't have ever dreamed of in a million years as a kid.  I operate in a world of millionaires and billionaires and all of the lifestyle stuff that comes with it which oddly enough after doing it for almost 20 years, I'm now at the point where I'm fancied out. I hate fancy restaurants and over the top things but is how clients like to do their business. Of course my wife hates that I hate fancy stuff.  I still love it regardless and can't believe I get to do what I do.  When I tell my wife what I did on any particular trip, she just says to keep it to yourself because people will either hate you or just not believe you.  My dinner next to the royals in London story really makes her go off the deep end because of course it just sounds so unbelievable but also because nobody gives a rip about royals here.  All because of some hustle and a business degree that cost me about 80k out of my own pocket.  Physicians work way too hard and have to spend so much time in school to earn how little they actually earn.  I've got plenty of Physician friends but the upside is that they aren't always having to produce every dollar if they are an employed physican but receive a steady and reliable income.  Maybe only 400k or whatever but it's 400k year over year.  

Nice story.  They say something like 50-60% of people wind up in something that they didn't go to college for or didn't use their degree, I know I fall into that.  But college is an investment and merely unlocks doors for some people where as if they didn't have the degree the door would never have been available.  Not to say you need college to be successful because you don't and IMVHO the pushing of college has made the market saturated thus making degrees not worth as much, but the numbers are still in favor of people making more money over a lifetime with a college education.

For me when I looked at college I was a lot like you just wanted something and wanted out and wanted to be an adult.  I pretty much walked out of HS cutting off the cord to mommy and daddy and not wanting their help, they had a few bucks for me for school and brought a bag of groceries from time to time when they visited, other than that I was on my own.  I just think more kids should have this mentality and rely on and stress their parents financially for college, just doesn't seem right, and IMVHO what do I owe my kids beyond a life time of love and ensuring they become a good member of society after HS, IMO again I don't owe them anything.  But when I looked at school I looked at certain professions, the degrees that came with them and the work involved just wasn't something I wanted to get into.  On top of that going to some schools and racking up half a million bucks for even a 100-200k a year job you figure the years paying on that note and interest, the true break even point was probably 15-20 years after college, and I wasn't willing to wait that long.   But then again a guy making 200k a year is going to probably over a life time make double to triple than most people out there, so it's all about what you want and what you want to do.

Keep in mind when we talk pay the median household income is 59 in the US so the exact middle, with the average being around 73k. Average single income is still around 45k per year.  So for an individual or as family if your clearing at least 100k your in the 84th percentile for earners, which is crazy to think 84% of people make less than that.  So if youre a bubba making 2-3-400k a year your doing more than fairly well.

22 hours ago, brick said:

brick

What about cute wife??  :D

1 minute ago, tomnjo said:

What about cute wife??  :D

Hahaha. Yup, she goes to the lake. Heck, it's her boat...

brick

Went to college for a couple of years to pursue an accounting degree. Was paying tuition and working along the way. Finally figured out that I couldn't do a job that would have my rear end planted in a chair all day. Ended up going to a trade school on 4K student loan, Tim Taylor plan, (insert grunt.) That was many years ago. My used Chappy cost me 4 times that. Wow have times changed..... 

4 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

Nice story.  They say something like 50-60% of people wind up in something that they didn't go to college for or didn't use their degree, I know I fall into that.  But college is an investment and merely unlocks doors for some people where as if they didn't have the degree the door would never have been available.  Not to say you need college to be successful because you don't and IMVHO the pushing of college has made the market saturated thus making degrees not worth as much, but the numbers are still in favor of people making more money over a lifetime with a college education.

For me when I looked at college I was a lot like you just wanted something and wanted out and wanted to be an adult.  I pretty much walked out of HS cutting off the cord to mommy and daddy and not wanting their help, they had a few bucks for me for school and brought a bag of groceries from time to time when they visited, other than that I was on my own.  I just think more kids should have this mentality and rely on and stress their parents financially for college, just doesn't seem right, and IMVHO what do I owe my kids beyond a life time of love and ensuring they become a good member of society after HS, IMO again I don't them anything.  But when I looked at school I looked at certain professions, the degrees that came with them and the work involved just wasn't something I wanted to get into.  On top of that going to some schools and racking up half a million bucks for even a 100-200k a year job you figure the years paying on that note and interest, the true break even point was probably 15-20 years after college, and I wasn't willing to wait that long.   But then again a guy making 200k a year is going to probably over a life time make double to triple than most people out there, so it's all about what you want and what you want to do.

My folks had the unfortunate policy of the day you turn 18 is the day you were dead to them. It made no difference that it was the middle of winter in the coldest state in the union. You had to leave the house with whatever you can carry with you, don't call, don't ask for money, and never come back.   Whatever you didn't carry with you was burned in a fire pit in the back yard. All of my old star wars toys and baseball cards and stuff from when I was a kid was burned.  Whatever you did from the moment you left was up to you, there were no plans or college visits or money or anything.  Either pick yourself up and be successful or die in a ditch...it made no difference to them.  College to me meant more than college does to most.  My overpowering conservatism comes from my upbringing and the fear of not wanting to be a bum on the streets.  

11 minutes ago, brick said:

Hahaha. Yup, she goes to the lake. Heck, it's her boat...

brick

But it's your truck, right Brick?  Brick??  Bri...ick???   :o

18 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

But it's your truck, right Brick?  Brick??  Bri...ick???   :o

Everything is hers...

brick

31 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

My folks had the unfortunate policy of the day you turn 18 is the day you were dead to them. It made no difference that it was the middle of winter in the coldest state in the union. You had to leave the house with whatever you can carry with you, don't call, don't ask for money, and never come back.   Whatever you didn't carry with you was burned in a fire pit in the back yard. All of my old star wars toys and baseball cards and stuff from when I was a kid was burned.  Whatever you did from the moment you left was up to you, there were no plans or college visits or money or anything.  Either pick yourself up and be successful or die in a ditch...it made no difference to them.  College to me meant more than college does to most.  My overpowering conservatism comes from my upbringing and the fear of not wanting to be a bum on the streets.  

To me that is harsh.  Notice how I said I wanted the cord cut.  But lets be honest kids are not adults at 18 or ready to fully function yet. But at that age its time to start making steps toward being independent.  To me there is a happy medium when it comes to the transition and everybodys happy medium might be a little different. I just don't see it being effective to pay 100% of school expenses provide a car, a phone and just say go have fun and get a degree for 4 years.  part of the process in instilling ownership and responsibility and means picking up part of the tab.  Then again kids are staying with mom and dad into their 30s now because getting a job is just so hard, I don't buy it, its a culture thing more than anything,  which I cant grasp because like you at 18 I wanted to do it myself and cant fathom how some of these kids do it.  But I guess if your bills are paid whats the motivation.  For what its worth the kids have been told you go to college where we will give you some help and be there to help out from time to time, or if you don't go to school you get a job and you a got year or so till you start paying rent, either way you got 4-5 years to figure it out before we have a garage sale and change the lock, lol.  Don't get me wrong well be there and be involved and they will not be dead to us by any means.  Our biggest goal is to make them successful, and as they say you give a man a fish and #$^% eat for a day or teach him to fish and he can eat for a lifetime. 

9 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

To me that is harsh.  Notice how I said I wanted the cord cut.  But lets be honest kids are not adults at 18 or ready to fully function yet. But at that age its time to start making steps toward being independent.  To me there is a happy medium when it comes to the transition and everybodys happy medium might be a little different. I just don't see it being effective to pay 100% of school expenses provide a car, a phone and just say go have fun and get a degree for 4 years.  part of the process in instilling ownership and responsibility and means picking up part of the tab.  Then again kids are staying with mom and dad into their 30s now because getting a job is just so hard, I don't buy it, its a culture thing more than anything,  which I cant grasp because like you at 18 I wanted to do it myself and cant fathom how some of these kids do it.  But I guess if your bills are paid whats the motivation.  For what its worth the kids have been told you go to college where we will give you some help and be there to help out from time to time, or if you don't go to school you get a job and you a got year or so till you start paying rent, either way you got 4-5 years to figure it out before we have a garage sale and change the lock, lol.  Don't get me wrong well be there and be involved and they will not be dead to us by any means.  Our biggest goal is to make them successful, and as they say you give a man a fish and #$^% eat for a day or teach him to fish and he can eat for a lifetime. 

Pretty sure my parents would be in prison with their parenting techniques these days....getting the boot at 18 was the least worst thing, ha ha. Oddly enough, I used to be jealous of my friends who did get their college paid for or partially paid for but many of them took the dead end degree routes and really didn't do much with themselves and their opportunity they were given.  I always revert back to the old saying that life isn't fair and it isn't supposed to be.  Headwinds and challenges in the beginning make you better in the long run.  I don't know what the best thing is other than the kids will need some skin in the game.  I bought my first house my second year of college just by sheer hard work and earning money at the same time I studied as a full time student in a rigorous school.  I just can't see my own kids being anywhere near that self sufficient.  Kids nowdays maybe work part time or some other on campus style job if they work at all.  I get calls from my alma mater which are always student asking for money.  Their pitch is that they shouldn't have to take out any student loans and so can I give them some money.  

55 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Pretty sure my parents would be in prison with their parenting techniques these days....getting the boot at 18 was the least worst thing, ha ha. Oddly enough, I used to be jealous of my friends who did get their college paid for or partially paid for but many of them took the dead end degree routes and really didn't do much with themselves and their opportunity they were given.  I always revert back to the old saying that life isn't fair and it isn't supposed to be.  Headwinds and challenges in the beginning make you better in the long run.  I don't know what the best thing is other than the kids will need some skin in the game.  I bought my first house my second year of college just by sheer hard work and earning money at the same time I studied as a full time student in a rigorous school.  I just can't see my own kids being anywhere near that self sufficient.  Kids nowdays maybe work part time or some other on campus style job if they work at all.  I get calls from my alma mater which are always student asking for money.  Their pitch is that they shouldn't have to take out any student loans and so can I give them some money.  

Im not going to drag this out any longer on boat forum lol, but a good talk.  I find it funny my colleges call me too, and I said sorry I got a job and paid for it myself why cant you, crickets!! Then I hang up.  Not just kids its a society thing of people not having enough skin in the game which has created an issue.  A lot of kids even adults think somebody else has to do it for them, and funny thing is you got parents catering to it, oh its so hard this and that.  Nobody learned to breath on their own to till they were forced to at birth.  Just the way it is. 

Back on topic

Looks like they have plenty of boats to offer, just the SSI line is down to 1.

i know you guys bash the H2Os, but seriously? Have you looked at anything else in that price point?  Have you ridden in one or actually been on one?  The H2O is built better and looks better than 90% of the other boats at a similar and even higher price point. Sure it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other Chappies but they are still very nice boats. Same warranty as the others.  Parts are probably the same across all the lines.  

3 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Back on topic

i know you guys bash the H2Os, but seriously? Have you looked at anything else in that price point?  Have you ridden in one or actually been on one?  The H2O is built better and looks better than 90% of the other boats at a similar and even higher price point. Sure it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other Chappies but they are still very nice boats. Same warranty as the others.  Parts are probably the same across all the lines.  

Agree. I was in Cincinnati on business recently, and stopped at the local Chap dealer (shhhh). Got to sit on serveral boats in their showroom, including H20 and Vortex. All are great boats, and hands above similar price point competitor boats. 

brick

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

Back on topic

THe h20 is a good boat and I think a concept your going to see broaden.  The price point combined with consumer ability and appetite  to spend makes it a good model.

While in Florida  a couple of years ago I checked out the Suncoasts. They had several of each model down there as the market there wants outboards. All were very nice boats, well appointed.