Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaraza

Temperature gauge problem.. Please help.

9 posts in this topic

I need help with troubleshooting for an issue with my temperature gauge on the dashboard. When I start my boat, the temperature gauge will move slightly, then stay at a fixed position (low). I have a chaparral 215 SSI, motor is merceriser 4.3MPI. Any ideas on how to check if this is a sensor or the gauge?

Disconnect the wire on the sensor and touch the block (ground out the wire) the gauge should go completely to the high limit.

Hi Zaraza,

This link might help: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=842

Most probably it is bad contact on the gauge connectors, I would start with them.
Clean contacts with electrical contact cleaner and apply dielectric tune-up grease.
Both available online, in Walmart, or your next auto parts store.

Next candidate is gauge.

Probably you are Russian-speaking, according to your nick name:lol:

On 2017-08-29 at 11:34 AM, leonid said:

Thank you very much for the answers. Yesterday I started the motor of the boat and it was on for about 10 minutes. The temperature rose to about 130 degrees meaning my sensor and gaging work properly. I thought there might be a problem with the thermostat but when i removed it, the thermostat was closed. Does anybody have other thoughts?

Probably should have replaced the thermostat with a brand new one while you had the suspect out. That way you would know if your issue was caused by a weak thermostat that was opening too soon.