Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonny40QBH

New Chap owner ...almost

30 posts in this topic

I put an offer in today on a 2011 264 Sunesta and it was accepted!  Very excited to start my boating adventures.  This is my first boat and I have a lot to learn!  If all goes well with surveys and sea trials, I should be picking up the boat in mid October.  Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Jonny

Good luck in the process, hope it turns into a "Congrats" very soon.  This is a great group of folks for Q&A to facilitate learning.

That's a pretty big starter boat for sure, but a nice one!!

Congrats! We are eyeing a 264 as our next one. Just today we had a chance to ride in one and I seriously can't believe how it moves and handles VS our current one lol

Best of luck with it! 

13 minutes ago, Wak'in said:

Good luck in the process, hope it turns into a "Congrats" very soon.  This is a great group of folks for Q&A to facilitate learning.

That's a pretty big starter boat for sure, but a nice one!!

Thanks for the kind words!  I was a little concerned about going that big also but we are primarily going to use it on the Chesapeake Bay and I wanted something in the 24 to 26 foot range for stability.  I am going to take it low and slow as I get accustomed to the boat. I am a very cautious person. 

Jonny

11 minutes ago, watson524 said:

Congrats! We are eyeing a 264 as our next one. Just today we had a chance to ride in one and I seriously can't believe how it moves and handles VS our current one lol

Best of luck with it! 

I am flying down to take the boat out next Wednesday.  Very excited to see how it handles

3 minutes ago, Jonny40QBH said:

Thanks for the kind words!  I was a little concerned about going that big also but we are primarily going to use it on the Chesapeake Bay and I wanted something in the 24 to 26 foot range for stability.  I am going to take it low and slow as I get accustomed to the boat. I am a very cautious person. 

Jonny

Congrats, maybe I'll see you out there, we're on the Upper Chesapeake in our 264.

52 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Congrats, maybe I'll see you out there, we're on the Upper Chesapeake in our 264.

Still trying to figure out where to keep it.  Was thinking either middle river or the lower part of the patapsco.  I think we will spend a fair amount of time around Annapolis, Baltimore and Kent island

Congrats! We love our Sunesta. First bit of advice since you are not picking up till mid-October is that you are located where you could encounter freezing temperatures. If stored outside you will need to winterize the engine/outdrive, fresh water system, and black water holding tank (if yours has a vacu-flush toilet). 

Enjoy!

14 minutes ago, mikeofwarr said:

Congrats! We love our Sunesta. First bit of advice since you are not picking up till mid-October is that you are located where you could encounter freezing temperatures. If stored outside you will need to winterize the engine/outdrive, fresh water system, and black water holding tank (if yours has a vacu-flush toilet). 

Enjoy!

Absolutely!! I have a 40 foot Motorhome, so I am very aware of winterization.  I will prob have it winterized before I ship it up here

Congrats on the boat. When I was younger, my dad decided to buy a boat and bought a 26' Sea Ray. First boat. Used solely on the Columbia River here in Portland, Oregon. He had it slipped in a boat garage he also purchased. Being you have a large motorhome, you are prob used to driving large things. He never had any major issues with going large with his first and we had a lot of great memories on her. Good times ahead!

Jonny-

Congrats to you.  You said this is your first boat, so sign up for a Coast Guard or Power Squadron boating course as soon as you can so you can learn about the rules of the road, and other helpful advice.  If your family is going to be out with you it would be good to get them to go to the course too.  Also you will get a reduction in your boat insurance if you can show that you passed the course.  Have fun!!

1 hour ago, bcboater said:

Jonny-

Congrats to you.  You said this is your first boat, so sign up for a Coast Guard or Power Squadron boating course as soon as you can so you can learn about the rules of the road, and other helpful advice.  If your family is going to be out with you it would be good to get them to go to the course too.  Also you will get a reduction in your boat insurance if you can show that you passed the course.  Have fun!!

So you are ABSOLUTELY correct.  I already took my Coast Guard boater's course to get my Maryland Certification.  I need some hands on experience now

State certification?  That's a wonderful idea!  I'm not a fan of government intervention, but that one is a no brainer.  Indiana hasn't figured that one out yet!

So today i was supposed to go down to Florida to see the boat and actually put my hands on it.  Well...they are putting all of the boats in the the hurricane lockers.. so maybe next week.. if the boat is still in one piece! 

The first time I drove a boat was when I was eleven.  It was a friend's 32' Wellcraft St. Tropez.  I piloted that thing all the way from Occoquan on the Potomac River to Washington D.C., and back.  (It was an adventure, I'll say that much, and it started my love of boats.) .

I wouldn't worry about starting off with a larger runabout.  I've found from experience that bigger runabouts tend to be easier to handle.  The counter-rotating propellers really keep the whole thing under control when at the dock and when cruising.  Chap makes a really smooth running deep-vee hull that  tracks straight and tames the 2' and 3' waves.  Enjoy it!

20 hours ago, RoyR said:

Yup!  that is the one!  I hope it is still there after the hurricane rolls through.  The put all the boats in the hurricane shelters.  I signed the contract and gave the deposit.  I made the contract contingent upon hull and engine survey and sea trial

5 hours ago, RoyR said:

Looks pretty clean - nice the manifolds and risers was replaced.

That was one of the reasons I jumped on it.  There is another 264 Sunesta for sale up in NJ. It was a 2010 without the risers and manifolds done and it didn't have a gps or vhf.  That guy had a bottom line of $46k..  this boat with everything done and gps an vhf I ended up getting for $44.5k.  Was very happy with that deal.  Just have to get it up to Baltimore..

Decided to walk away from this boat.. I have no idea what happened to it during the hurricane.  It is in Marco Island and they got pounded..  I just bought brand new 2018 264 Sunesta!

Good call on walking away.  You just don't know what would have happened to the boat from Irma.  

Congrats on the new boat.  Post pics when u get it. 

19 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

Good call on walking away.  You just don't know what would have happened to the boat from Irma.  

Congrats on the new boat.  Post pics when u get it. 

Yeah...even if they say it was fine..I just don't want to take the chance.  Here is the new boat.  BTW... post a pic of that Vette

IMG_3256.thumb.JPG.e455b9851ebd581b73685de35a676c10.JPG

Wow....that is a nice 264.  Love the big swim deck and lounging area.  

I'll post a pic of the Vette.  What website do you use now since photobucket is now OTS.