watson524

Rode in a 264 today

14 posts in this topic

So.... The 264 is our next boat and while we've seen them dry we've never been in one (or any boat that size) in the water. The local dealer took us out on one today with the 8.2 in it and I know I'm stating the obvious to many of you but holy heck the difference from our current boat is crazy. Aside from how it handles wakes much better than our current boat (didn't have to throttle down to feel safe going over anything) and the sheer speed, you can really feel the weight of the boat and how different it is from ours. It was crazy to actually feel. No prop walk with the duo-prop and even in reverse, I'm much less leery of learning how to back into the slip. 

I took a look in the engine compartment and have no idea how anyone works in there. Now, we do our own maintenance and winterizing but I look at this and am like um.... I hesitate to even think I could winterize the #%^$&%$ thing but I guess that's where a manual comes in handy. 

Realistically how "safe" is it for a handy person that's mechanically inclined to work on these? 

If you haven't already committed to the 8.2 boat, consider the VP equivalent. 6.0l 380hp, weighs in 250lbs less than the big block, has a broader torque curve, better on fuel... and quite a bit more room to work on it. Everything is up front and easily accessible, including the heat exchanger (winterizing drain) and impeller. I can hit 52mph with 264 equipped with that motor, love it.

Haven't committed to anything yet (probably should be committed tho lol) and when this search started a few years back we were leaning towards VP because of what we'd heard about ease of working on them but our local place does nothing to very little with VP which makes us strongly look at the Merc. We hit 55 today with 3 adults on board tho I don't know what props other than a 3 blade and a 4 blade but no idea on pitch. 

Well, if the posts in this thread are to be believed, you'll want to get yourself a hefty engine hoist if you plan on doing your own maintenance with the 8.2 shoehorned into the 264. Engine out to change impeller:

The Merc 8.2 is a very good engine.  You will find just as many threads about VP as Merc.  I wouldn't shy away from either.  On our Lake, you'll find more Merc dealers than VP.

The 264 is a nice boat.  I think you'll love it!

I'm about to replace the starter in my 256.  Let's hope the engine doesn't need to be pulled!!!

We love our 264. Get compliments on it just about every time we tie up.

We had started looking between the 256 and the 264 but the wetbar option and starboard side access vs center is what put us over to the Sunesta line. There's sentimental attachment to our current boat which we/my parents have owned since new, but after 30 faithful years, it just doesn't serve the purposes of how we're boating these days (more friends, wanting to be able to go out on the weekend and not get tossed around, wanting to be able to travel with the boat) so the time has come.

Right now we're just waiting to see if we can still get the old style tower on the new boat as we REALLY don't like the look of the new tower..... I'm not holding my breath but since we have some time before we'd need to order, you never know.

10 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

The 264 is a nice boat.  I think you'll love it!

I'm about to replace the starter in my 256.  Let's hope the engine doesn't need to be pulled!!!

How many hours on yours? New starter????

You shold be able to get to everything, I usually prop the hatch open onother 2'. Makes getting in and out easier.

large.IMG_0326.JPG.7732e267d56584ce5ad793899628e4fc.JPG

The big differece between the 2 IMO, is access to the motor. But I really like the fork on the 264.

Decision time.

How many people?

Total weight of them? Round it up to the nearest hundreds.

Amount of food& water in pounds.

Like to start all big trips with full fuel tank ? How many gallons ?

Do you need 55 mph GPS ? or is 40 mph O K on a heaviest cruise load of people ?

Willing to CHANGE PROPS before doing a big load of people. I did it when I bought a GRIPPY blow out proof prop. Took 5 minutes floating in the water by myself with a weighted work bag. Spare nuts & thrust spacers. I am almost 80.  Piece of cake job.  Wear junk gloves, long sleeves, dungarees, socks & shoes / sneakers. The Power Tech Prop cut me short of stitches. Now fully protected. Boat wake pushed me tightly across the prop blade.

4300 rpms with 6... 200 pounders on a full plane. Good enough on a 186 & 5.0 L

Read the posting about  Chap dropping different boat models.

Buying new ?  Order very fast. Take a loan if needed.

But do not think too long If you want your love boat with options.

13 hours ago, Toddler said:

How many hours on yours? New starter????

You shold be able to get to everything, I usually prop the hatch open onother 2'. Makes getting in and out easier.

large.IMG_0326.JPG.7732e267d56584ce5ad793899628e4fc.JPG

The big differece between the 2 IMO, is access to the motor. But I really like the fork on the 264.

I have ~430 hours on the boat.  The starter has a dead spot that is getting worse.  I ordered a new, OEM starter for 180 deer.  I'm due for an impeller change too but I may wait till Spring for that so it's not sitting in anti-freeze all winter.