Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Schaefer

2014 Chaparral 330

11 posts in this topic

Currently own 300 Sundancer and looking to upgrade to a 2014 Sundancer but I recently looked at the 330 Chaparral and liked the cabin and seating better. I've been warned about buying something with Volvo motors and don't know if that's just a Sea Ray scare tactic. Don't really see many reviews in the Chaparral so I'm looking for feedback from some owners.

Not sure if it matters, The boat will be in salt water not fresh. Hopefully that doesn't matter so long as you flush them.

I love my Volvos and have had no issues other than normal maintenance.  As many have said on this forum before they may be a little more expensive to repair and there may not be any certified Volvo mechanics in your area which might steer you to a Merc.  There is one drive system to avoid from Volvo and that is the XDP but if you are looking at a 2014 they had been discontinued long before that so no concern. 

I have mercs on my 310 (For Sale BTW) and have had no problems. My friend had exact year 310 with Volvos with no problem either. He did have some issues with the stick steering. I don't have stick and don't really want it. On the other hand if I grew up on video games I would probably get it!

Little known secret to some not to others.  prior to the last two years or so Volvo and Merc blocks are the same both chevy blocks.  Last few years merc designed their own engines and make them now.  So really if you still have a Volvo its the same engine as merc has used for years.  Only thing different is the outdrive for the most parts.  Parts can be harder to find as well as service at times, but other than that I had no issues with mine.

I think Merc and VP designed their own engines at the same time since the old generic blocks were no longer made. I know VP has the entire series of new modern engines.

I have had three Chaps with Volvo engines, but were model years prior to to 2009, so have no observations on the newest engines.  Never had any issues with them and some of the DIY maintenance (like impeller changes) is easier on the Volvo.  I agree that it's a good idea to look around your area and see what mechanics will service and charge.

4 hours ago, Jeff Schaefer said:

Currently own 300 Sundancer and looking to upgrade to a 2014 Sundancer but I recently looked at the 330 Chaparral and liked the cabin and seating better. I've been warned about buying something with Volvo motors and don't know if that's just a Sea Ray scare tactic. Don't really see many reviews in the Chaparral so I'm looking for feedback from some owners.

Not sure if it matters, The boat will be in salt water not fresh. Hopefully that doesn't matter so long as you flush them.

What year model 300 do you have?  We looked at a 2002 300 Dancer before we bought the 27' Chap 250 Sig and really really loved the Dancer.  It had serious problems (dropped from forklift) so we passed.  But we really REALLY loved the size and layout.  What was your experience with the 300?

I had  a 2004 300. Was a great boat with very little issues. Big fan of the Sea Ray but the Chaparell has a better seating and sleeping arrangement.

We have a 04 330 which is a bit different then the newer 2014 but I cannot say one bad thing about my 330 Sig. Great boat, roomy, nice ride and very good quality. I wouldnt hesitate. Mercruiser or Volvo are both good engines. I prefer Mercs because I know them but for the right boat wouldnt hesitate on a Volvo. Long as not XDP drives. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

What year model 300 do you have?  We looked at a 2002 300 Dancer before we bought the 27' Chap 250 Sig and really really loved the Dancer.  It had serious problems (dropped from forklift) so we passed.  But we really REALLY loved the size and layout.  What was your experience with the 300?

Love my 300. Bought a used 2004 2.5 years ago and now have 620 hours.

Selling/trading it in for a newer model boat. Hope I don't regret it since its been a great boat. Not to mention they only want to give me $42k. Only reason I'm looking at the Chap is the seating arrangement above and below.