Rip5

The Impossible....happened

16 posts in this topic

Hour meter on our 235ssi started going in reverse last weekend. Started the season with 160 hours. Was working

fine and read 178 hours after a week long trip of boating. Last weekend, after sitting on the hook for a couple hours, started the boat, and

hour meter read 141.4 hours !  Dropped the boat off at my mechanic yesterday for some other service, hour meter read 140.2.

He will scan it to get actual engine hours for us. I suspect it did not have 160 hours when we bought it a few months ago.

6.gif  Thoughts anyone ???

Mechanic, our nautical engineers at work, and boating friends all laughed, and said it is now an appreciating asset.;)

There is a movie about a car that does that.  Plays 50s rock and roll and kills people.  LOL.  Has the boat tried to drown anyone yet?

Seriously, though, not sure.  If the meter is one of those odometer looking ones, probably just a failed mechanism.  If its all electronic, then not sure.

Are you running backwards?

Any mechanical electrical work done?

brick

Maybe there is a minus symbol you missed ... going from -160 to -140 is moving forward ... :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, brick said:

Are you running backwards?

Any mechanical electrical work done?

brick

Nope

Nope

Everything on the boat works as it should, with this one exception.

Thanks for responding Brick. I did not expect much of an answer, since this has likely never happened to anyone......... but me.

Keep using the boat, maybe next year you can sell it for new!

I wonder if the wires are reversed to the gauge, does it cause the Hobbs meter to run backwards?

Try contacting the gauge manufacturer to see if they have any ideas. 

brick

Not sure why it is happening, but at the risk of more bad news, I share this with you;

I had an old car that did this one time - the digital odometer froze.  I traded the car in to a dealer with full disclosure.  He thought it would be easy to repair / sell and was probably just happy to sell me a new car.  Apparently it was a disaster to sell.  He later tracked me down and had me sign an affidavit certifying the miles on the car.  I think it is a real red flag for re-sell.  

Sounds bad, but once it scanned, you should know were your at.

A lot of humor to be had on this one.:drink-buddy:

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Toddler said:

Sounds bad, but once it scanned, you should know were your at.

A lot of humor to be had on this one.:drink-buddy:

354 hours.

Note to self: Think twice before posting .

4.gif