ianp811@yahoo.com

Trailer type for 2000 196ssi

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a used 196ssi.  The trailer is in rough shape (eagle 1999).  I can purchase a trail star dual axle 1998 trailer for about $750. It originally came with a tracker boat.  I'm nervous the bunks won't line up with my boat.  Can I tell prior to purchase?   Is it possible to redo the bunks?  

The real stumbling blocks / problems are if the wheels can be moved around to get a correct balance point with about 10 % of the loaded trailer weight on your ball of the hitch.

Next problem is getting new bunk boards to be on the FLAT surfaces of the boat bottom. I like the inner 2 full length boards to be right under the engine mounting bolts.  The 0uter 2 beams can be anywhere else on the bottom & full length. 

Some types of trailers fully support the boat ON THE KEEL ONLY. The 2 outer boards are only used for stability.

Note..........I DO NOT have any weight on the 2 OUTER BOARDS.  They are only used to prevent the boat tipping left or right. Putting ALL The hull weight on 1 of the inner boards. Like in a sudden swerve if you are being cut off.

Good trailer companies.................. WILL pick a correct trailer TYPE & SIZE. ..................Marinas ?  Good chance they will pick a slightly undersized one to increase profits. Or whatever they have on their lot New or used.    ............They DO put TOO little or TOO much weight on your tow vehicle sometimes just to supply a trailer.

I highly recommend you install TALL about 5'  tall guide on poles on the trailer.  I have 4 guide on poles.  Yes I can go right on the trailer in 5mph currents & 20 mph wind. Both pushing in the same direction.............I had the short cheapy metal poles replaced with LONG Stainless Steel ones bent at a muffler repair shop.  Licensed Electrician places can bend the pipe also.

Others will post more things to think about before buying a trailer.  salt water ?  Possible ?

I went ahead and purchased a used EZ loader roller trailer that is slightly bigger than my old bunk style trailer.  Any advice as to how to adjust the rollers to fit a smaller boat than originally intended for the trailer?  See the pics that show the old trailer (black) and the new (white). 

black.JPG

on.JPG

white.jpeg

gonna take some trial/error at the boat ramp.  Load the boat on it and see how it sits.  Then pull the boat back off and make adjustments.  Make take a few times to get it right.  Unless you have a marina with a forklift that can do it for you.  I recently set up a new trailer for my boat and I did it at the ramp.  Took me an hour or 2 and maybe 3 times on/off the trailer.

Try to get each roller to be on a flat surface of the bottom.  Might not be possible in wind & current retrieve.

The brackets for the rollers pivot fore and aft, as well as side to side right? So they should fit the contour of your hull fine.  I would think you would want to adjust them side to side on the cross members though, so that the rollers don't land on the lifting strakes.  That's some thing you can probably do with a tape measure before heading to the ramp.  

Now would also be the time to replace any rollers that are cracked and dry rotted.  Might check that winch strap too.  B)

Roller trailers can be trouble, just an FYI....  What was wrong with the Eagle??

Stuck roller will act like board. Just back in a little farther. Or grease them now if possible. 

Had 1 used roller trailer. Had to ALWAYS remember to keep the chain on at the bow. Several VERY LUCKY times. I greased the roller shafts.

ALWAYS KEEP THE BOW CHAIN BOLTED ON.

I have driven the 16 aluminum boat 2 miles with just the winch strap on it.  Bad Very bad.  No rollers just bunk boards.