Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whosurpopi

tilt trim motor/pump on 5.7 merc

6 posts in this topic

I have been having problems with one outdrive not trimming up.  It wouldn't work at all up, and sound sad going down.  I took the whole unit out, and it the motor sounds great off the pump and jumps all over the bench, if I attach it to the pump, it wont move it.  If I try to move the pump with a slotted screw driver, it moves but not easily.  How hard is it supposed to be to move the valve assembly by hand?  The motor has a lot of torque it seams on the bench, but maybe its weak?

Never mind, I took the pump apart and found the gear that was bound up, cleaned and lubed it, and now it works like new.

Im still having problems from the switches on the controls working intermittently.  Does anybody know how to remove them from the handle to test and replace?  Its the double "mercruiser" handle with both buttons on the port side controller.  I don't see and screws, and I don't want to try and pry anything apart without knowing for sure if they are supposed to come apart.

more likely corrosion at the solenoids or the solenoids internal contacts or the trim limit switches on the transom

When it doesn't work, it doesn't click either.  One drive has two new solenoids.  Do you know how to get the switches out to test?