oldgrumps07

Need Daignostic Help

7 posts in this topic

Need advice. Bought a 2000 Chaparral 205 SSE at the beginning of summer, but after test driving with no issues and purchasing from an individual (as is, no warranty), we took it out for the first time. We made it across lake Texoma, the boat running great, then parked for a little swim. The trip took probably 45 minutes and we had no issues. On the way back, it began trying to die on us, alarming 3 times for each timeit tried to die on us. It didn't die initially, but after several of these incidence, it finally died and did this several times more before we had to flag down a game warden to tow us to the nearest dock. We sat for a little while, then tried getting it started again and it stayed running. We tried getting back to our dock, but didn't quite make it. We finally got towed in and got it trailered and had it looked at, but the shop only found a loose wire and fixed it. We took it back out and the same thing happened. Another shop, and another (possible) fix, with the impeller being replaced ( after almost 2 months of not figuring out the actual problem). We were told it had been on the water and run hard to duplicate the issue, but it ran fine. We picked it up and took it straight to the water and only a couple of minutes in, it began alarming as before. Anyone ever have their boat have these symptoms? 3 long beeps /alarms, with it trying to die? The gushes all read fine as it alarmed, so I couldn't see anything going on there. Frustrated......

Sorry guys, 5.0 liter Mercruiser engine. Fuel filter/water separator was replaced. Only 51 hrs total on this boat. My son seems to think the prop might be spinning at high rpms. 

18 year old boat with only 51 hours on it?  So this has sat for a long time doing nothing. Was it stored dry under cover?  In a humid place? Snow? First thing I would do would be to systematically disconnect the boats engine wiring harness and spray clean every electrical connection I could reach. Odds are some plug and or sensor is corroded a bit. You already paid a guy and they found a loose wire? Didn't fix it but its a hint as to the boats condition. Would take a few hours but it will give you a baseline to start from for dogging a sensor or electrical issue. Connections corrode this is a fact. And heat is every electrical components enemy so IMHO its worth a shot. Some time invested and not a lot of $$ layed out initially. From my life's experience the longer a boat engine sits the more problematic they become. Tons of fail safes built into their design and THEY NEED TO BE RUN to stay fit. I start my twins every three days when they are not winterized and have never had a surprise failure on them or any boat engine I have owned. Its not luck its dilligence. Peace.