MonkeySeaII

New Starter

22 posts in this topic

Just replaced my starter.  Took me a few hrs.  Pulling the old one was fairly easy.  Getting the new one back in place was tough tho.  I removed 1 battery and he exhaust hose.  Took a while but success!   Didn't realize how slow the old one was actually cranking until now.

wow, my entire body is covered with bruises from becoming a contortionist to replace the starter!:haha-7383:

3 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

wow, my entire body is covered with bruises from becoming a contortionist to replace the starter!:haha-7383:

I had to do my buddies Baja 502 starter 3 times. 1 failure and twice because of him. Never gets any easier.

as I was laying upside down, blindly wrenching bolts by feel only, I had to think, how would one replace the starter on the port side motor of a twin engine installation???  Starter is on the right side of the engine so how the heck would you get to it??

I had a mechanic replace both my starters, risers, manifolds, and spark plugs last week.  Did it all in about 5 hours.  And that included some diagnoses time with the starters also.  He charged me 350 for it all.

Nah, didn't bother.  Without a 2nd set of hands, it's tough to do it.  The wife isn't strong enough.  But I really didn't need to anyway

1 hour ago, Mi3sons said:

Must be 350 plus parts. Wonder if they were 6 or 8 cyl's?

5.7 mags.  Of course that was labor only, but I am still very happy with the work and price.

If he did a good Job ?  I might kiss his..........Hat.  He is a smart, good Mechanic. Marina Is very decent to only bill for that amount.   I bring in coffee & doughnuts for the Mechanic & shop manager. I tell them 2 day ahead of time.

Steer people to them to help them stay in business.

yeah, 70 is pretty good cause I think the normal rate is like 90 deer.  I typically try to do most of my own work unless it's completely over my head.  I like the feeling of accomplishment after I complete something--especially if it's the first time I attempted it.  Plus, the obvious cost savings.

That wasn't a marina.  He works day job at boat store, but came to my house after work to do job since its on a lift and I don't have trailer.

5 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

70 an hour is pretty cheap.

I got a guy that does it on the side at nights for 20 an hour plus parts.  not bad at all.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

I got a guy that does it on the side at nights for 20 an hour plus parts.  not bad at all.

That's cheap. I do side work for $50 per flat rate hour and buy all parts but don't mark them up. I have had to many problems with people getting wrong or substandard parts.

27 minutes ago, Mi3sons said:

That's cheap. I do side work for $50 per flat rate hour and buy all parts but don't mark them up. I have had to many problems with people getting wrong or substandard parts.

yeah I think so too.  But figure hes not paying taxes on it, doesn't have a legit business with insurance and fees etc.  probably more money per hour than hes getting at his normal job after take home.