Cazzy

Prop advice?

24 posts in this topic

I have a 2013 Chaparral 196ssi 4.3(200) with a OEM VP 3 blade stainless prop 14 3/4 x 19. It is what came on the boat new. My rpm WOT is 4200-4300. I want to buy an aluminum prop but not sure what to get. 4 blade? 3 blade? Pitch? 

The boat is up on plane quickly but 45mph max and thought it might be a little faster. I pull a tube once in a while but rare. Any suggestions or tech advice here?

with that boat and engine not sure your going to see a real big improvement either way and would probably only look at a different prop if the one you had was broke.  Either way you would need to go down in pitch for more speed, but you would lose some hole shot.  4  blades tend to be better as well.

The WOT RPM range for your Merc 4.3 is 4400 to 4800 RPM. If the motor is running properly, then you are overpropped, which "lugs" the engine, and will damage the engine over time  

First question, is has the boat always run at the same speed and RPM's? Is the bottom clean? What elevation are you at?

Assuming all is well with the boat, you need to drop 2 inches in pitch. Your RPM's  will increase, speed will stay about the same. 

For best performance, you need to drop 2 inches in pitch.

brick

Thanks brick. I may try to borrow a 17p stainless to see what happens to the rpm's. Any suggestions on what pitch for an aluminum 3 or 4 blade both?

15 minutes ago, Cazzy said:

Thanks brick. I may try to borrow a 17p stainless to see what happens to the rpm's. Any suggestions on what pitch for an aluminum 3 or 4 blade both?

From your numbers, you will need a 17 inch pitch. But remember that different props with the same pitch will give different performance.

See if you can find a shop that allows you to try a prop, and switch it if required. 

brick

Rule of the thumb: if you have 3 blade aluminum prop which gives you correct WOT RPM, going to stainless steel reduce pitch to 2 inches, going to 4 blades reduces pitch to 2 inches.

I switched from 21p aluminum 3 blade to 17p ss 4 blade.

My advise - don't go to aluminum.

Thanks Leonid,

i just talk to westMichiganprops and I explained I really just want a spare prop but explained my current 3 blade 14 3/4 x 19 stainless. They said:

stick with the 19p on the aluminum also. Design wise, the aluminum and stainless volvos are the exact same prop. and performance wise, (alum vs steel of the same prop) its negligible at best.   ???

I have a 2012 196SSI with the 4.3L GXi.  I just switched from the OEM 3 blade stainless 19 pitch (4500 RPM WOT with normal load) to a Solas 4 blade stainless 17 pitch.  The boat does not go any faster but it is much more responsive to the throttle and it turns much more sharply without ventilation.  I was looking for better hole shot and better hold at watersports speeds.

John

14 hours ago, #%^$&%$IHateThat said:

I have a 2012 196SSI with the 4.3L GXi.  I just switched from the OEM 3 blade stainless 19 pitch (4500 RPM WOT with normal load) to a Solas 4 blade stainless 17 pitch.  The boat does not go any faster but it is much more responsive to the throttle and it turns much more sharply without ventilation.  I was looking for better hole shot and better hold at watersports speeds.

John

Which model Solas?  HR Titan?

Cazzy, I have 2009 196 SSi with the Volvo 4.3L GXi.  I was getting about about 50 MPH at 4600 RPM WOT with the OEM Volvo 3 blade 19p stainless. I switched to a Turning Point Hustler 14-1/2 x17p 4 blade in aluminum (I think model LE-1417-44). I went aluminum mainly because I do boat on shallow lakes and didn't want to ding a stainless prop. The blade 17p increased my maximum RPM to 4800 WOT, but dropped speed a couple MPH - I was looking for better hole-shot for watersports and not speed. The boat is much more responsive to the throttle and remains hooked up in tight turns better than the 3 blade.

IMO nothing wrong with the aluminum prop from Turning Point, but if I was boating only in deeper lakes, I would have probably shelled out for a stainless 4 blade.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:42 PM, Cazzy said:

Thanks Leonid,

i just talk to westMichiganprops and I explained I really just want a spare prop but explained my current 3 blade 14 3/4 x 19 stainless. They said:

stick with the 19p on the aluminum also. Design wise, the aluminum and stainless volvos are the exact same prop. and performance wise, (alum vs steel of the same prop) its negligible at best.   ???

I would tend to agree with westmichprops. Low-power boats do not see much difference between AL and SS props - not enough power to flex the AL prop. But I would drop down to a 17 inch pitch, as your WOT RPM's are a bit low. 

brick

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Cazzy said:

Thanks Leonid,

Did Don tell you that ?

46 minutes ago, Ronbill said:

Cazzy, I have 2009 196 SSi with the Volvo 4.3L GXi.  I was getting about about 50 MPH at 4600 RPM WOT with the OEM Volvo 3 blade 19p stainless. I switched to a Turning Point Hustler 14-1/2 x17p 4 blade in aluminum (I think model LE-1417-44). I went aluminum mainly because I do boat on shallow lakes and didn't want to ding a stainless prop. The blade 17p increased my maximum RPM to 4800 WOT, but dropped speed a couple MPH - I was looking for better hole-shot for watersports and not speed. The boat is much more responsive to the throttle and remains hooked up in tight turns better than the 3 blade.

IMO nothing wrong with the aluminum prop from Turning Point, but if I was boating only in deeper lakes, I would have probably shelled out for a stainless 4 blade.

Appreciate the feedback. Will be looking into it. 

At this point I'm now looking at 4 blade aluminum. Once again my 2013 196ssi with 19P 3 blade SS prop shows 4300-4400RPM WOT & 45 mph.  With all the opinions and great advice it's either 4 blade aluminum in 17P or 19P and really thinking 19P because I don't want to lose any speed. Will the 19P 4 blade keep the current 45 mph speed as the 19P 3 blade SS has now?     

45 minutes ago, Cazzy said:

At this point I'm now looking at 4 blade aluminum. Once again my 2013 196ssi with 19P 3 blade SS prop shows 4300-4400RPM WOT & 45 mph.  With all the opinions and great advice it's either 4 blade aluminum in 17P or 19P and really thinking 19P because I don't want to lose any speed. Will the 19P 4 blade keep the current 45 mph speed as the 19P 3 blade SS has now?     

I can tell you that the 19p 4 blade aluminum did not perform well on my 2009 196SSi 4.3L GXi. I tried one after I bent (I said I boated in some shallow lakes ;) ) my first Turning Point 17p 4 blade on a trip away and could only find the same prop in 19p locally, so I tried it out. It really bogged down the hole shot and took quite some time for the hull to come up on step. It was absolutely useless for water sports. I replaced it with another 17p Turning Point 4 blade once I got home. What you have to consider is that an extra blade adds mass to the prop, lowering spin (or I suppose taking more force to spin the same) - hence dropping from 19p (on the OEM 3-blade) to 17p on the 4 blade. This should help maintain or improve the RPMs as it was in my case.

Good luck,

Ron

You will be happier with the 17 inch pitch. RPM will increase, which is critical for engine health. Speed will stay close to the same, as the lower pitch is offset by higher WOT RPM. See if you can find a shop that will let you try out both. 

brick

Thanks Ron. Gonna try 17P.  Will let everyone know if I find one before this weekend. Got a prop shop here so hoping he has one. 

3 minutes ago, brick said:

You will be happier with the 17 inch pitch. RPM will increase, which is critical for engine health. Speed will stay close to the same, as the lower pitch is offset by higher WOT RPM. See if you can find a shop that will let you try out both. 

brick

Ya hoping brick. Gonna try 17P

I did this exact same swap with my boat (225 SSI, V-P 5.0 SX).  Here's what I'll bet you see:

• Noticeably faster to plane
  • WOT RPMs will land right around the redline in normal running conditions
  • Top speed will drop from 45 to ~42 on calm water, but you'll have a better chance of hitting that 42 at WOT when it's choppy or you're loaded