Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DJB

Adding Arch - 2004 Signature 270

18 posts in this topic

Considering adding a radar arch to my 2004 Signature 270. Does anyone know if there are replacement fiberglass arches out there?

If I were you I would check the arch of the 290 after 2010 since your boat have the same beam size (9.6).

I have put the hardtop of the Sig 310 after 2010 on my 290 2004, I have started the project just on the fact that both boats had 10 feet beam.

It is a big job but worth it IMO.

Good luck

Just now, jeffk said:

Thats a big expense on a 13 year old boat

Check out his posts in the what things have you done to your boat thread.  It's a beautiful 13-year-old boat.

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

Thats a big expense on a 13 year old boat

Well, not so much considering it was almost plug and play, the tricky part was the stainless bars but other than that it was a walk in the park :).

About the hardtop itself, you would be surprised what kind of (almost) new stuff you could find in junkyards for less than a quarter of the price :)

20 hours ago, jeffk said:

Its still a 13 year old boat...but if it makes you happy,go for it 

He could have plenty of reasons to do it. For me, it was because I just didn't like the shape and layout of the Sig 310, if his boat have less than 100 hours on the engines and less than 20 hours on the genny like mine, why should he consider changing his boat ? I mean, between spending 5-10 K on the arch to put it on a boat he loves or 200K on  a boat he don't like, perhaps the obvious choice is not the better for him.

I can understand what he wants to do because there was absolutely no way for me to go with a Sig 310 and it was not a $ reason, just a choice I made.

whether it's a new boat or a 20 yr old boat, it's about what makes you happy.  Sometimes it's not about the cost.  i'm actually getting pricing to either powder coat or wrap my arch black like the newer boats.  My boat is 10 yrs old.  Some may say that's crazy too

If his 13 year old boat has less than 100 hrs?

Like i said whatever makes you happy....if you are looking for a rational decision....probably would never have bought a boat.

I

On 9/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, Exoset said:

Well, not so much considering it was almost plug and play, the tricky part was the stainless bars but other than that it was a walk in the park :).

About the hardtop itself, you would be surprised what kind of (almost) new stuff you could find in junkyards for less than a quarter of the price :)

That hard top blends with the old body style surprisingly well!  I'm assuming you had to have a custom canvas made for it.

19 hours ago, Billy said:

That hard top blends with the old body style surprisingly well!  I'm assuming you had to have a custom canvas made for it.

Yep but the old canvas needed to be changed anyway :). Before sarting to seriously consider doing it, I have made several photoshop tests and I liked the results. When we dropped the hardtop on the boat I was like... wow :P

21 hours ago, jeffk said:

If his 13 year old boat has less than 100 hrs?

Like i said whatever makes you happy....if you are looking for a rational decision....probably would never have bought a boat.

I

Yeah mine had 94 hours, the only reason why I sold a 2007 for  a 2004.

About your last statement, I am so agree with you, having a boat is a matter of heart and passion not brain stuff :P

everything is a cost decision.  But there isn't a hobby in the world that makes financial sense.  But you do it for fun.  I have done it with houses, trucks, and even toys comes a point where the cost doesn't make sense and I get rid of it, or it doesn't make sense to repair or upgrade so I have ditched and bought something else.   Repairs are different and sometimes you need to do them to get your money back, to use the item etc.  But my rule of thumb is for upgrades(not repairs) I never spend more than 30% of what the item is worth on upgrades, everything has dollar signs on it fun or not fun.  Anything more than that I start looking for something else.  But then again I never put more money into something than what its worth, just doesn't work for me.

I have lost ridiculous amounts of money trading up for newer boats.... and I am a financial consultant.

i was speaking to a group of advisors years ago and one told me i was a fool.

i then opened a file and showed him dozens of pictures of my grandaughter having the time of her life on the boat.

this doesnt even take into account my wife and I taking annual boatrips.

so i asked him to calculate the rate of return on the quality of my lifeowning a boat.

its not always about the money.

enjoy.. i need to continue hurricane prep

1 hour ago, jeffk said:

I have lost ridiculous amounts of money trading up for newer boats.... and I am a financial consultant.

i was speaking to a group of advisors years ago and one told me i was a fool.

i then opened a file and showed him dozens of pictures of my grandaughter having the time of her life on the boat.

this doesnt even take into account my wife and I taking annual boatrips.

so i asked him to calculate the rate of return on the quality of my lifeowning a boat.

its not always about the money.

enjoy.. i need to continue hurricane prep

Great story!  Sometimes people can be blinded by a hunger to amass wealth.  What good is it if you can't share the joy?  Looks like the storm is going to go up the west coast.  Meaning you'll get the NE bands...probably as bad as being in the line of the eye.  You guys be careful!!

I think this thread took the wrong direction, who are we to tell DJB who want to add an arch on his boat is the wrong or silly or expensive choice/decision ?

The guy just ask if one of us did it before in order to help him do it or decide to do it. I don't think he asked for the price but if he did I could tell him that it will cost around 5K arch + work.

I am not pretending to know what expense is justified or not, I just think that throwing money on your boat when your kids are hungry or when your wife need medical care is stupid. But other than that, adding an arch on your boat or changing the color of your living room... I guess he thinked about all of this even before asking on the forum.

A lot of people must think that spending over 10K in my by Sig 2004 is stupid, but when my wife is looking at the boat and tell me she is proud of what I have done or that she is happy that our boat is now kind of unique and she can't wait to go with it in the Keys and in the Bahamas or my 4 years old son telling everyone at the marina that his dad's boat is beautiful, it is enough to make me happy. If it was just for me I wouldn't have done it at all.

As Jeff told it it before, it is indeed about what makes you happy...

I have a 2005 270 with the arch.  Love it!  I THINK this is same boat as yours (I have 2 engines).

Here's the website for the supplier of the OEM arches.  I emailed them to inquire about redoing the powdercoat because of bubbling around the stainless snaps due to dissimilar metals (I think Chaparral is the culprit, not fault of OEM supplier):  http://www.jaykaymfg.com/01.htm.  It's worth emailing them to ask about options -- they were helpful and responsive when I emailed them.

I don't know if you'll need different bimini poles or canvas...  On my boat, the arch is not connected to the bimini, Bimini sits underneath the arch when closed or open.

I've had good luck getting OEM replacement canvas from www.rnr-marine.com.  Or, some people have ordered directly from Ameritex (the OEM).  Pricing is not necessarily cheaper via OEM vs. rnr in my experience -- when I did a comparison years ago explanation for cheaper pricing via rnr was that they get volume discounts.

jeff

sorry to hike this thread.

we have left brandon and are now with friends in orlando.

it actually looks like n.miami will not be as bad as once thought.

maybe i will have a boat when i finally get home.

to all floridians be safe!