Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roady68

Hurricane Harvey Boats and Parts

5 posts in this topic

Just curious about a couple of things.  What will happen to all the boats damaged in the Houston area?  Will most get repaired?  Will boats that are too damaged be scavenged for parts, or do they get scrapped as a whole?   Are there boat "junkyards" that go collect boats too damaged to repair and scavenge parts?  I know there was a stigma with Hurricane Sandy boats.  Especially with the salt water damage.  Just curious if anyone knew.

Dealers get the insurance book price. Repair it before corrosion sets in & a person has a problem loaded boat till the day he sells it. That is how many boats get handled. 

Some are sold WAY WAY INLAND to speed up the sale.

Buyer beware. Including any new boats on a lot when they get soaked / sunk & raised.

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm not buying another used boat. I'll stick with mine till the end.

I just assume that if they are insurance totaled, they will be auctioned off by places like copart to the highest bidder, whoever that may be.  If not totaled, they will be repaired with insurance money and people will keep on using them or sell them.  Copart or the other sites that auction stuff for insurance companies will note on the auction listing if they are water damaged or whatever the cause of the damage was.  I've had two things get totaled including a Chaparral for which this was the process and interestingly enough, I could have/had the right to have taken anything and everything off of the boat before it went to auction.  

I did a bunch of work for the founder of Copart after he bought Alan Jackson's property.  He was one of the nicest guys to work for.  Here's a pic of the floor we did in his largest garage it was almost 50,000 s.f. iirc.  At the time he had well over 100 cars in his collection, and he made sure they were driven on a regular basis.  

johnson-garage-feature-300x225.jpg