Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SST

Hurricane Irma

37 posts in this topic

Here is the station at Barbuda east of St Maarten. Barometric pressure at this moment is 29.75. Been dropping for awhile. Gonna get nasty.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=BARA9

Lots of people have been watching the live cam at St Martin airport[4000]. KLM, JetBlue and COPA have departed. AA canceled. 

On their live cam of Port St Maarten, I see some boats still docked. Hope they can withstand the surge.

http://www.portstmaartenwebcam.com/

Good luck to the Caribbean over the next few days. Good luck to Florida later. If you gotta trailer, head north!

so if you're in the path of a hurricane, and you keep your boat on a lift, I assume you'd leave the plug in in case the boat ends up in the water.  But if it's on the trailer and there is risk of major flooding, would you leave the plug in or take it out??  Usually out so it doesn't flood with rain water, but what if it's massive floods were the boat ends up floating??  Just thinking about that

The greatest "leak" on my boat are the air vents for the engine compartment/blower. Last year, I cut up some vinyl and placed the top section under the boat cover while snapping it down and the rest of it laid over the vents. In a driving rain scenario, water still got in. 200 mph driving rain....won't make a difference.

I don't have shore power so if I faced a situation like this, I'd likely keep the drain plug in, run an extension cord to the boat with a battery charger hooked up to keep the battery charged during the storm until loss of electricity and then hope the battery can outlast the remainder of the storm.

But at 200 mph and high waters, you'll be lucky if your boat is even there.

5 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

so if you're in the path of a hurricane, and you keep your boat on a lift, I assume you'd leave the plug in in case the boat ends up in the water.  But if it's on the trailer and there is risk of major flooding, would you leave the plug in or take it out??  Usually out so it doesn't flood with rain water, but what if it's massive floods were the boat ends up floating??  Just thinking about that

Probably depends how well insured you are - no?

Doesn't apply to me as I live on high ground in Pennsylvania.  But just something I was thinking about as I watch the damage from Harvey and the approach of Irma.

If your in the eye of Irma, kiss your boat, car, shed good-by

Cant understand why so many wait till the last minute to evacuate. Standing order for hurricane victims who stay to ride it out  is to write your SS number on your body for identification.after the storm.

I'm down in Houston and Harvey certainly ruined many boaters day at our lake. When on the lift I have always kept the plug in and while in theory our lake is pretty constant that was not the case during Harvey. Lake Conroe where we keep our boat had boats and jet skis floating all over the lake as the water came up much higher than ever before. Many boats from our marina sustained plenty of damage including several boats that floated out of their slips (they were in lifts) and I imagine many boats also staying in the slip but were pushed up into the roof of the marina. Obviously those boats would be at the bottom of the lake had they not had their plug in. 

As far as having the plug in when on the trailer that is an interesting question. As you stated keeping the plug out would keep the boat from filling with water but if the boat does float away the damage it would sustain would be pretty immense. 

I remember 1 summer we were on vacation at Lake Norman in NC.  My brother in law had his Cobalt on the lift and mine in the slip next to it.  We had a massive torrent of rain overnight.  Came out in the morning and his boat was gone.  It had floated off the lift and it wasn't tied so we found it at the other end of the cove.  It was crazy how fast the water level rose in 1 night.  I can't even imagine what it was like in Houston!

This thing looks nasty. I know we all love our boats but screw it, get out of there.

It was pretty tough down here and it looks like Irma is going to make things difficult out there. As of Monday we were still unable to walk out into our marina as the water level was still too high to get out there. From the parking lot we could see our boat was still on the lift but there are some signs that it may have come loose at some point. I should be able to check it out this weekend and hope that it didn't get banged around too much.

I'm optimistic it will be ok ... but given our luck with this boat this year....

Winds of 185mph will lift up cars and send them flying and your wondering if you should leave the drain plug in or out?

If your in the way of Irma, get out now!  If you feel the desire to remain and ride it out write your social security number in magic marker on your chest to aid in identifying your body and tie your body to a immovable object to aid in recovery

If you want to experience a hurricane simulation, stand behind an Insel Air MD80 series aircraft when it departs from SXM. I've done it a couple of times. Don't let go of the fence behind Insel Air.

At 2:50 you'll see what I mean.

I just saw on T V a bunch of Florida boaters tied up in to Mangrove coves. They intend to ride out the storm with their children. The mangroves tops are only about 8' above the water.. The surge 6 to 10 feet will lift them up.  Then the wind & waves have a real effect on the boat being pulled loose ?

The statistics between Andrew & Irma are very different. Irma is 6 times larger in diameter. It will spend 30 hours over Florida Mangroves.  Why do boat owners risk their childrens lives ?  Do they think it is a Andrew storm ?

Sad Very sad.

Aren't you guys glad you did the Bimini run THIS year? It may not exist by the end of the weekend. I did a search for Bimini and I found only 1 reply on Trip Advisor. Something like, "It's gonna take a beating."

1 hour ago, SST said:

Aren't you guys glad you did the Bimini run THIS year? It may not exist by the end of the weekend. I did a search for Bimini and I found only 1 reply on Trip Advisor. Something like, "It's gonna take a beating."

Yeah, Bimini has been on my mind.  With the storm now going up the western shore of Florida maybe, just maybe, Bimini will be spared.

300 to 400 miles across ?  Bimini is only 30 to 50 miles from Florida ?  Need a tremendous piece of luck. Plus Irma will cross that very warm water on the way to the Keys. Stronger & bigger storm is very likely.  Hope not.

Utter devastation in the BVI, a home away from home for me. Those that frequent there would be familiar with Sopers Hole, a busy marina on the West End of Tortola. Wiped out. Facebook access needed to see the link below:

Montioring various online groups, there is severe distruption of communication systems and widespread destruction of homes, with thousands of requests for news on missing loved ones. The island is apparently becoming destabilized, too, with looting, hijacking, and prisoners escaped from the prison looking to get off the island by any means. British government was not prepared with aid and is only now mobilizing. 

Thoughts also with those in Florida in the path of Irma.

I'm still here. Jeff, did your boat make it? We never even lost power. Worried about the keys though.

Being sarcastic:

It was so nice that Irma came roaring through causing death and destruction all along its path. This giving the news media something else to talk about. I don't know what was more destructive, the hurricane or the constant battering of political news by the experts from nowhere.

[Sigh] Sadly, the hurricane is over. No more death and destruction. The hurricane isn't much to talk about anymore. 

The hurricane is done, back to politics.

Soper's Hole is gone? What a shame, loved that watering hole. Feel so bad for the folks in Irma's path, as there will be so much hardship afterwards.  

I used to live on St. Thomas about 15 years ago. It's all about prep, but if storm is bad enough, all the prep in the world won't help. Got used to the storms, the destruction and constant re-building. When Marylin (SP) came through, it pulled the grass right out of the dirt. Not a bird left on the island.

11 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I'm still here. Jeff, did your boat make it? We never even lost power. Worried about the keys though.

May be rude of me to comment for Jeff, but I know you're concerned as I was.  They are driving home as we speak.  He has been told the boat is still in the rack which is a good sign.  No water intrusion at home, but without power.  I'll let him expand as much or as little as he wants.  I was happy to get at least that much news!

The market will be crazy with used flooded boats now. ABC News did a thing on flooded used cars this morning being sold.

10 minutes ago, Iggy said:

The market will be crazy with used flooded boats now. ABC News did a thing on flooded used cars this morning being sold.

What about parts?  I want to find a discounted Vesselview 4 (or two of them).  The way I look at it, I'm helping someone out by putting $$ in their pocket toward their loss.