Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SST

Hurricane Irma

37 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I'm still here. Jeff, did your boat make it? We never even lost power. Worried about the keys though.

Drew, did you get to trailer your boat north or was it down in The Keys?

6 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Drew, did you get to trailer your boat north or was it down in The Keys?

My Sea Ray project is at my in laws in Loxahatchee. The Chaparral was in Key Largo until I sold it.

17 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

What about parts?  I want to find a discounted Vesselview 4 (or two of them).  The way I look at it, I'm helping someone out by putting $$ in their pocket toward their loss.

True, thats the other side of that. I would not feel to confidant in buying parts that have been under water ether. It depends on what parts. Most likely, the Ins. Co. will buy the boat from the insured at market value and sell it. 

Watching ABC News, the car was sold to a dealer. In 4 to 6 hours, they had that car that was flooded running and looking like new to sell. The same could happen with a boat.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

True, thats the other side of that. I would not feel to confidant in buying parts that have been under water ether. It depends on what parts. Most likely, the Ins. Co. will buy the boat from the insured at market value and sell it. 

Watching ABC News, the car was sold to a dealer. In 4 to 6 hours, they had that car that was flooded running and looking like new to sell. The same could happen with a boat.

I just heard on the radio this morning that the flood cars make their way north.  Unscrupulous dealers will "import" car to Canada then expat them back to the US to clean the title and clear the car fax.  I can't see how that would be easy as the cars must meet emissions and safety requirements for Canada (i.e. speedometer in km).  But there is at least one documented case of it happening.

The more I tear into fixing things on my boat, the more I think I may have a hurricane Sandy boat.  I guess the only way to be truly sure is to buy new.  

7 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

I just heard on the radio this morning that the flood cars make their way north.  Unscrupulous dealers will "import" car to Canada then expat them back to the US to clean the title and clear the car fax.  I can't see how that would be easy as the cars must meet emissions and safety requirements for Canada (i.e. speedometer in km).  But there is at least one documented case of it happening.

The more I tear into fixing things on my boat, the more I think I may have a hurricane Sandy boat.  I guess the only way to be truly sure is to buy new.  

People hold on to there boats more than cars. It should not be too hard to research past owners. In other words, if you buy more on the local side. Boaters know other boaters so they may know that boat. Up here in Boston there are many yacht clubs. Its not uncommon that someone from your club or another is selling a boat that you may like.  

I look at my F-150 and wonder where its been. I should have researched it better before I bought it. Foolish me.  There are parts on the truck that are corroding much further on that I think it should be. Its a 2012. I bought it in 2015. I don't drive it in winter and I don't drive it in the rain [a habit from the Bronco to prevent further corrosion].

For example, the bolts holding the shock absorbers are really rusting. As I was climbing over the front of the engine to get at the oil dipstick, I noticed the shaft for the steering wheel is showing serious corrosion. While being over the top of the engine, I noticed all the screws holding the manifold covers in place are ALL rusted. My Ford Focus is 3 years older and has 50K miles more than the truck [including rain, snow and salt] and has less corrosion. I keep wondering what "they" did with this truck. These are just a few examples.

But, it is running great. I did a lot of trailering this season and have had no issues. But I think that the more I run it, the closer I get to "something" happening, which is why I restrict its use.

Bolts rusting and those other components are a common issue. I've got a Shelby gt500 I purchased new. Always garage kept and has never been in the rain, it has a rusty rearend and some rust on the bolts and manifolds. Not a lot you can do other than pull everything and paint it. 

When I was looking for a new truck my neighbor told me to look under the carpet and to look under the seats at their springs. I saw a couple of trucks with totally rusted seat springs and they were both from Canada. Ironically, the truck I ended up buying was on a NYC area dealer's lot during Sandy. I found the dealer location and pulled up Sandy flood maps and found out it was not in a flooded area. Checked it out pretty thoroughly and it was very clean, so I pulled the trigger.

This mini van was submerged so deep, the roof had propeller marks from two boats on it. This was from Harvey.

413548522.jpg

Just got back from Fort Myers. My uncle called me last week and wanted me to share the drive down. We didn't really know what to expect although we did know that electricity was out and some flooding.  After watching the news outlets I was expecting lots of damage. As we crossed into FL on 95 and then 301S to I75, there wasn't much damage. Random trees and branches. Even near the airport there wasn't much. Some gas stations were closed, others were open. When we drove into the neighborhood we could see more tree damage and the lake levels were high with some street flooding. Probably worse earlier in the week. But as far as I could see, no structural damage. We got lucky. 

The news media had showed the damage to an orange grove[Don't know where or how extensive]. Hundreds and hundreds of oranges blown off the trees and floating in water. Juice prices are headed for the roof or above.