SG Boater

5.0 in 210 SSI

81 posts in this topic

Although I've done lots of research on this forum, never before posted.  After 12 years and 800+ hours I'm looking at replacing our '98 1830.  Although it's been a while since many of you have probably been around these older series, it has a fair amount of room, and tons of storage (3 tournament slaloms fit under full bench seat and wide open engine compartment, plus ski locker and storage under console).  Trying to find a newer model  to replace it w/walk thru (or walk over) and equivalent storage while not being huge is tough.  The other issue is it pulls like a tractor.  W/a 4 barrel 4.3 (205 HP), 1.62 gear ratio and 18p 4 blade prop it pulls me up easily on my tournament slalom w/6 adults in the boat and still hits 47 GPS.  I know hydrofoils aren't generally held in high regard, but I've got the "Edge" that bolts to the underside of the cavitation plate and that did make a noticeable improvement.   My 1830 still looks like new due to care and quality materials used so I won't go to a lesser brand.  And of the mfg's I'd consider in the Chaparral tier or above, Chaparral has the best layouts.  In short, I've narrowed it down to either 210 SSI or 220 SS.  Although different layouts and hulls, they've both got the room and storage I want in the size range I want, and are at the age where you can still find w/less than 200 hours in my price range.  They've both got pros and cons.  For example the 210 will be a bear to do engine work on and the walk through is a bit more convenient than the walk over, but the 220 doesn't have the full length bench to store slaloms (we carry wakeboard, kneeboard and slaloms on many outings) and the ski locker is narrower.  The 5.0 is very common in both.  I wouldn't even consider a 5.0 of any HP rating in the 220, but I have found several mint 210's, under 150 or less hours, with the 5.0 260 hp Merc or 270 hp Volvo.  For those of you with a 210, would the 260 hp 5.0 Merc push the 210 as well as my current set up.  Don't want to go backwards in this area.  I know you can get a 350 mag in the 210, but of probably 100 I've seen for sale, only saw one with it.  Thx. for any advice. 

Also, to answer the obvious, I'm about an hour south of St. Louis, and I've found none closer than 250 miles so I'm trying to do as much research in advance before making the trek to talk about buying.

I know I am in the minority as I don't really care for them, but a arch can be added to alleviate some of your storage problems with a certain model.  other can comment on price, models, and function.  5.0 is not a bad engine, but IMO for what its worth is not that much of an upgrade from the 4.3  With that said buying used and being stuck on certain models you sometimes get what you get.

We have an 03 210 SS (became SSi in 04, same boat) with the 260 HP Merc 5.0 MPI. I believe you will find that it powers the 210 much like the 4.3 powers your 1830. We don't do any watersports but I think you will find no lack of storage in this boat. The in floor ski locker is cavernous, goes all the way up to the bow. As far as access goes for engine maintenance, the 210 is tough but I have come up with a solution. I removed the dividing wall from the bench seat bottom so that it can be pulled up and out of the boat. I remove it for winterzation and store it in my basement. The pic below shows when I made the separation. The bench seat base was reinstalled back in the boat and stays permanently attached. The dividing wall pulls up and out of the way as seen on the second pic.

y4mV1eWqCmrIrKGTI8694VA2ztpJUzNlWp2qnXEk

y4m3jB6K09IibK5ZnZXfqa9-q7QGaoCOSselQf1g

Our 210 has been great for us, has even stood up to all of the mods I have thrown at it.

Another pic with the wall removed, the brown carpet on the pic is the top of the bench seat base that the bench seat cushions rest on top of. The walls on either side of the engine can be removed if more access is required. They are just attached to the floor with small metal brackets.

y4mRbh9g9bhZVXFAx_KVdoCF81nvgkx57I7-jggt

Tomnjo, I've actually read several of your posts regarding making the engine bay accessible and that's the main reason the 210 is now back on my short list.  I can literally crawl in the storage next to the engine in my 1830 so I'm spoiled.  After seeing your mods though, I figured I could live with the 210 set up.  I'd actually considered all those in the links.  Tons of 204's w/low hours and I actually talked to the guy in St. Joe, but took the 204 off my list cause they have less cockpit space than my current one, and only 2/3 a bench seat.  Beautiful boat though.  The 210 in Memphis doesn't have any covers/tarps and I'd rather not have to add all the snaps.   Minor detail, but we use our bow cover quite a bit.  Plus, was more concerned about the 5.0 till I realized that it appears only 1% have the 350.  Still may get hold of hat guy.  The one in Springfield looks a little rough (lower unit, missing gas cap, etc makes me think it's not very well taken care of.  I know a pro of the VP is that the water pump is on the engine, but I'm used to alpha's, even have a spare bellow set, water pump and all the gaskets in may garage, so my preference is a Merc.  Can't do it on the water, but easy enough to change a water pump every 3 years or so.  Plus, only two of the boats we run with have VP's, both of them had the fuel pumps go out this summer to the tune of 800 deer for the part alone. Apparently this is a fairly common problem area for VP's of the mid 2000's?  Talking to the owner of this '08 in AR, less than 120 hours, looks pristine, tower and other extras.  It just popped up yesterday so I'm convincing myself now the 210 would be better for our needs than the 220, ie better for skiing.  Another reason I'd not yet looked closer at the one in Memphis.  If i end up with a 210, I'll probably ask for more pics on your mods.

00j0j_2PbULTJXzip_1200x900.jpg

3 hours ago, SG Boater said:

Although I've done lots of research on this forum, never before posted.  After 12 years and 800+ hours I'm looking at replacing our '98 1830.  Although it's been a while since many of you have probably been around these older series, it has a fair amount of room, and tons of storage (3 tournament slaloms fit under full bench seat and wide open engine compartment, plus ski locker and storage under console).  Trying to find a newer model  to replace it w/walk thru (or walk over) and equivalent storage while not being huge is tough.  The other issue is it pulls like a tractor.  W/a 4 barrel 4.3 (205 HP), 1.62 gear ratio and 18p 4 blade prop it pulls me up easily on my tournament slalom w/6 adults in the boat and still hits 47 GPS.  I know hydrofoils aren't generally held in high regard, but I've got the "Edge" that bolts to the underside of the cavitation plate and that did make a noticeable improvement.   My 1830 still looks like new due to care and quality materials used so I won't go to a lesser brand.  And of the mfg's I'd consider in the Chaparral tier or above, Chaparral has the best layouts.  In short, I've narrowed it down to either 210 SSI or 220 SS.  Although different layouts and hulls, they've both got the room and storage I want in the size range I want, and are at the age where you can still find w/less than 200 hours in my price range.  They've both got pros and cons.  For example the 210 will be a bear to do engine work on and the walk through is a bit more convenient than the walk over, but the 220 doesn't have the full length bench to store slaloms (we carry wakeboard, kneeboard and slaloms on many outings) and the ski locker is narrower.  The 5.0 is very common in both.  I wouldn't even consider a 5.0 of any HP rating in the 220, but I have found several mint 210's, under 150 or less hours, with the 5.0 260 hp Merc or 270 hp Volvo.  For those of you with a 210, would the 260 hp 5.0 Merc push the 210 as well as my current set up.  Don't want to go backwards in this area.  I know you can get a 350 mag in the 210, but of probably 100 I've seen for sale, only saw one with it.  Thx. for any advice. 

Also, to answer the obvious, I'm about an hour south of St. Louis, and I've found none closer than 250 miles so I'm trying to do as much research in advance before making the trek to talk about buying.

1.62 ratio drive on a 4.3L and pulls like a tractor?  

I prefer the layout and large ESP of the 220SSi. I have owned two. The side walk-thru is great. Boat is much larger and heavier than an 1830SST - you will feel the difference -  I moved up from a 1930SST. Add a New Dimension wakeboard tower, and your storage issue goes away. The in-floor ski locker is too narrow for wakeboards. 

Towed weight for my boat, full fuel and tandem axle steel trailer is 6000 lbs. It was 5640 lbs with full fuel when I bought it, but before the tower and other stuff was added. So you need a full size truck to tow. 

There is a reason that you do not see many 220's for sale...

brick

Yep, I have heard of the VP fuel pump issue. Yep, 210s with a 350 MAG are few and far between. I did see the white one, too. I didn't put it out there because it was an old post and wasn't sure if it was still available. I like the 204s too, but there is some difference in the hull from the 210. They look the same but for some reason the weight rating is 200 pounds less. I typically run three seasons between changes on my Alpha impeller. It's said you can go up to six so I just split the difference just to be safe. As far as my engine access mod goes, I had a good thread on it here, but thanks to Photobucket's new rules, all of the pics are gone.

Dennis, seems contrary to logic, but it does pull great.  I have a spare 18p 4 blade that doesn't pull near as good as the one I usually run, and the hydrofoil made a big difference.  4 barrel shouldn't really kick in till higher RPM's so don't think that helps.  But somehow it works.  As an apples to apples comparison, friend has an 18' caravelle which is considerably lighter w/4.3 VP MPI, 220 horse, and mine pulls much better than his, and my top speed is still a hair higher. I must have lucked upon the right combination.

Brick, 220 is the other one on the short list.  '08 out in OK w/150 hours or so with 350 mag, but am leaning away from going that big.  Getting pretty tight in the garage, would NEED the 350 mag for all the skiing we do, plus I'm assuming a bigger wake which makes the wakeboarders happy, but not me.  But I do like the layout, probably best of all.  You're right, very few out there, and even fewer with the 350 Mag.  Also had to look at your boat on the New Dimension website to see how the tower on the above would fold down.  Looks like it sticks about 4-6" above the windshield when folded down?  Nice boat you have.

Which brings me to a question I forgot to ask, average height on a trailer.  I believe the 220 is about 7 1/2 feet, give or take depending upon trailer.  Hadn't been able to find a good number on the 210, but thinking it will still clear an 8' garage door even with the tower in the pic above folded.  Tomnjo, if you have an idea, let me know.  Also, I just saw the one in the pic come up yesterday.  Had it been on previously (gives me more bargaining power)?  The all white wouldn't be my first choice, would prefer a band of some color, but I see the inside more than the outside.

PS, drive a Titan so no issues pulling either.

Sorry, confused that with another one I saw with an expired listing. The white one didn't specify hours or engine, though, that's why I ignored it. Also, not enough pics. I have found, although not always, that many times the seller is trying to hide something with just a few pics The white would not bother me. Any scratches in the gelcoat are less visible on white. You can remove the graphics and personalize it, too.

Taking a second look a the pics, I wonder if it's a divorce boat. Looks like the house is also for sale.  :scratchchin:

Height on the trailer will depend on the trailer. Mine is in a storage yard so I never bothered to measure it.

image.thumb.jpeg.043baaaf689912d2ba2abdb9d5e0f2b1.jpeg My 220SSi just (barely) clears an 8ft tall garage door, with the tower folded back. I can easily drop the tower by myself in about a minute. It can also fold forward, but requires two people to handle. I have a hoist to a ceiling beam, so I can pull the tower part way up during storage, ti allow easy access to the interior.

Length on the trailer is 26 ft 7 inches, tip to stern.  It is a very tight fit in my 27 ft (inside clear) garage, to say the least. 

I thought it looked like that tower could fold back but all the pics I found only show it going forward.  Either way, if your 220 fits under an 8' door, the 210 should.  And really glad to hear it's a one man job to drop.  I was not wanting to have it be a pain to fold up/down every time we take it out.  You helped a bunch with all that info. I have a little more room lengthwise, but not much.  My Inside garage dimension is 28' 8".

If anyone has any first hand experience skiing behind this set up, I'd love to hear.  If it's positive, I may be checking out a couple of boats this weekend, big loop into AR and then to Memphis to see the above one and likely the one in Memphis.

I agree, generally if someone has something nice, they tell/show all they can about it.  Lack of info many times means not good.  I generally pass on those too, although the above only had 3 pics.

I slalomed behind my 220 until my back surgery. Now I just wakeboard, against all Dr's  advice...

Certainly it is not a 190 Nautique, but it is very ski-able. The table is flat at 65ft, wake is fairly narrow, but a little coarse at 43 ft rope length.  So not great for running the course. It is not much different from my old 1930SST  biggest difference is it is not as nimble to turn back to pick up a downed skier. 

If you are ever in the Atlanta area, you can come ski behind my boat anytime...

brick

6 hours ago, SG Boater said:

I thought it looked like that tower could fold back but all the pics I found only show it going forward.  Either way, if your 220 fits under an 8' door, the 210 should.  And really glad to hear it's a one man job to drop.  I was not wanting to have it be a pain to fold up/down every time we take it out.  You helped a bunch with all that info. I have a little more room lengthwise, but not much.  My Inside garage dimension is 28' 8".

If anyone has any first hand experience skiing behind this set up, I'd love to hear.  If it's positive, I may be checking out a couple of boats this weekend, big loop into AR and then to Memphis to see the above one and likely the one in Memphis.

I agree, generally if someone has something nice, they tell/show all they can about it.  Lack of info many times means not good.  I generally pass on those too, although the above only had 3 pics.

BOAT SHOPPING WEEKEND!!! Does it get any better!

I love to ski; I don't love the wake of my 220 when skiing.  It's nice when wakeboarding though.  It's manageable for skiing.  I love my 220 for LOTS of reasons.

We regularly have three slalom skis in the ski locker.

I've pulled five slalom skiers at once several times.

The best sterndrive runabout for skiing (smaller wake) is Bryant.  Smaller manufacturer; better built than Chap, IMO.

Well in my opinion, a boating weekend trumps a boat shopping weekend, but I have to admit I'm getting excited now.  Just have to find the perfect one to pull the trigger on.  No stern drive is going to have a perfect wake, but I was afraid the 220 would be getting bigger than I wanted.  Long time ago I skied behind a Bryant and the wake was a few inches tall and flat, unbelievable.  Agree on the quality of the boat as well, awesome.  I almost bought a 182 13 years ago but got my 1830 instead cause the Bryant was 800 miles away vs. 300 for the 1830.  I think I did fine with the 1830 though.  But I just can't figure out who designed Bryant's interior layouts during the time frame I'm looking at, 2000's.  Their seating is really odd and not very usable, small openings to storage, etc.   So I quit looking at them this time.  But maybe the new ones are better and can look at them next go around.

I wouldn't have guessed a 350 mag would pull 5 slalom skiers.  I've seen a Cobalt 230 w/454 pull 4 from a deepwater start all on slaloms, and was amazed. 

My wide flat hulled boats all have almost no wakes jumping up right behind the boat. No ROOSTER TAIL center wake. The 186 ssi  with that planning pad can put up about a 2' center wake if fully loaded with 6.... 200 pounders and the VERY GRIPPY prop on it. boat is then about 4800 pounds If I trim the drive to a safe angle up ? I can have water almost rolling onto the rear deck surface.  The engine IS LABORING .

The prop is always the most incorrectly selected item if you want shore people to HATE YOUR WAKE.

We have pulled up 4 slalom skis, deep start, without any difficulty. 

brick

4 and 5 deepwater starts, impressed to say the least.  Based upon this, sounds like the 5.0 MPI in the smaller 210 hull at 400 lbs less should have plenty of power to do what I want.  I can prop it down since I don't really care about top speed.  Just like to be able to cruise around 35mph keeping the RPMs in a decent range like 3000-3500 or so and do watersports.  Thanks for all your help.

1 hour ago, SG Boater said:

4 and 5 deepwater starts, impressed to say the least.  Based upon this, sounds like the 5.0 MPI in the smaller 210 hull at 400 lbs less should have plenty of power to do what I want.  I can prop it down since I don't really care about top speed.  Just like to be able to cruise around 35mph keeping the RPMs in a decent range like 3000-3500 or so and do watersports.  Thanks for all your help.

It was actually very easy. No strain on the motor. Hardest part was keeping everyone's rope clear. 

brick

5 hours ago, SG Boater said:

Well in my opinion, a boating weekend trumps a boat shopping weekend, but I have to admit I'm getting excited now.  Just have to find the perfect one to pull the trigger on.  No stern drive is going to have a perfect wake, but I was afraid the 220 would be getting bigger than I wanted.  Long time ago I skied behind a Bryant and the wake was a few inches tall and flat, unbelievable.  Agree on the quality of the boat as well, awesome.  I almost bought a 182 13 years ago but got my 1830 instead cause the Bryant was 800 miles away vs. 300 for the 1830.  I think I did fine with the 1830 though.  But I just can't figure out who designed Bryant's interior layouts during the time frame I'm looking at, 2000's.  Their seating is really odd and not very usable, small openings to storage, etc.   So I quit looking at them this time.  But maybe the new ones are better and can look at them next go around.

I like to shop.  :D

Bryants are good boats but like you, I don't like their styling. Kind of boxy or something.

When I got my Chap, I wasn't looking for a Chap in particular. I was looking for a 20-22 ft. bowrider to replace my Crownline 202 with a 5.0 carbed Alpha that I had been sharing ownership with my brother. I found several online. Drove almost to KC to look at an 04 CL 202 that was on Craigslist with really tiny pics. Found out why it had such tiny pics, it was trashed. Looked at it for 5 minutes and turned around and went home. After that I found a sweet 05 Ebbtide 200 in Joplin MO. It was a bit tight in the cockpit, had the same carbed 5.0 that my CL had, both would be compromises, but it was in pristine shape. Made a deal on the boat and set a date to meet the owner at a Table Rock Lake mechanic to check the hours (also had no hour meter) and complete the deal. The owner calls me a week before and backs out!! Really??

My Chap had been on Craigslist the whole time I had been looking and was only 20 minutes away from my house. The pics were really not good but I finally went to look at it. Turns out that an older gentleman owned it who wasn't a very good photographer. The boat looked way better in person. Upgrades and mods were already going through my mind so we negotiated the price down from his 18K asking. Then I found a new forum to join....  :clapsmiley: