SG Boater

5.0 in 210 SSI

86 posts in this topic

More than you think. In the left side I have four fenders and a bathroom waste basket with my docklines inside. In the right side I have a dry storage tub, my BBQ grill, a first aid kit, and my emergency prop. You won't get skis or anything like that in there, though.  All of that space can be accessed from under the bowseat cushions but you can't use the vertical space in there very well from under those. It's one of the best mods I made. My Youtube vid on it....

It took a while till schedules matched, but finally hooked up with the seller and brought home the maroon and white '05 210 from TN (KY Lake).  Thanks for all the help.  I'll have more questions down the road and will be looking into a couple mods shown here, ie. easily removable bench seat, hatches in the consoles, etc.  Unfortunately this one doesn't have the snap on covers which isn't too bad, got a full custom cover for trailering before I went down (good thing, rained all the way home), but I will miss the bow cover.  If anyone has some time to kill over the winter and cares to trace their bow cover onto a sheet or something I can use as a pattern, let me know.  Unfortunately, can't get the OEM ones anymore and I'd have to take it somewhere to have one made, unless I can supply a pattern.

Thanks again.

:clapsmiley:   Way to go!! Looked like a clean boat on the pics. You may be best off just having the covers made. They will install the snaps and have everything lined up correctly. Good thing  you have the full one.

How is it fitting in the garage?

Tomnjo, sent you a pm.  The old boat is still in the garage, likely there till spring when the selling market improves.  So the old one is still on the side where I want to eventually want to slide this one.  For now, it's just backed straight in.  A little tight to fit my Truck in there with both boats, but it goes.  Jeep fits easily so that's probably what will live in that garage this winter..

1 hour ago, SG Boater said:

Tomnjo, sent you a pm.  The old boat is still in the garage, likely there till spring when the selling market improves.  So the old one is still on the side where I want to eventually want to slide this one.  For now, it's just backed straight in.  A little tight to fit my Truck in there with both boats, but it goes.  Jeep fits easily so that's probably what will live in that garage this winter..

There is never enough garage space...

brick

15 minutes ago, brick said:

There is never enough garage space...

brick

Ain't that the truth.....

I got lucky and sold the old boat (1830) in a week so I had more incentive to fit the 210 into an offset in the garage.  For anyone else that is looking for a way to maneuver a boat around, I purchased a set of gojaks.  I read many accounts of how the cheaper wheel dollies didn't work well cause the casters wouldn't pivot easily, so I sucked it up and bought the gojaks for about 4 times the price.  I got the heaviest ones, models 6313 I believe, rated at 1,500 lbs each.  Put one under each of the two front tires, give them each a couple of pumps to jack up the tires, and it actually maneuvers more easily than my 1830 did.  Pivoting on the rear set allows me to get closer to the side wall, which is why I put them on the front set.  This also has the benefit of taking some of the weight off the tongue.  I can pivot it w/one hand easily. Now sits a foot from the side wall, 2" from the back wall and 40" from the front, just enough to clear the man door.

59f1ea19160eb_20171025_181153_resized(2).jpg.49e93057d59bee103dba3b3a697df094.jpg

4 minutes ago, SG Boater said:

I got lucky and sold the old boat (1830) in a week so I had more incentive to fit the 210 into an offset in the garage.  For anyone else that is looking for a way to maneuver a boat around, I purchased a set of gojaks.  I read many accounts of how the cheaper wheel dollies didn't work well cause the casters wouldn't pivot easily, so I sucked it up and bought the gojaks for about 4 times the price.  I got the heaviest ones, models 6313 I believe, rated at 1,500 lbs each.  Put one under each of the two front tires, give them each a couple of pumps to jack up the tires, and it actually maneuvers more easily than my 1830 did.  Pivoting on the rear set allows me to get closer to the side wall, which is why I put them on the front set.  This also has the benefit of taking some of the weight off the tongue.  I can pivot it w/one hand easily. Now sits a foot from the side wall, 2" from the back wall and 40" from the front, just enough to clear the man door.

59f1ea19160eb_20171025_181153_resized(2).jpg.49e93057d59bee103dba3b3a697df094.jpg

Outstanding!!  Glad it worked out for the better.

Looks like there is still room in there for mine. How much for winter storage?  :scratchchin:

Glad it worked out for you. One question. Are the bench seat cushions on the 05 hinged?

That space is spoken for, my truck and Jeep.  No, they do not have hinged rear seats which was a surprise to me.  They simply sit in place, w/a flap on the front that  snaps to the fiberglass cover on the front of the seat base.  The one time I took the boat out, towed without a cover and they both lifted off and were laying on the floor.  My fix which I've yet to see if it works, is to attach a short section of nylon strap on the underside of the seat towards the back, and the mating piece attached to the inside back of the underseat storage w/a buckle.  Simply lift up the front edge and buckle for towing, then drop the front edge and snap.  Hopefully that works.  The cushions are also the full depth, ie. no separate bolster. 

Pulled the bench seat last night to clean the boat out good, check everything out and do some preventive maintenance/replacements so won't have to get in there for a couple of years I hope.  Differences in design starting in '05 present problems for making the slide out partition mod like you and a couple of others did.  The back needs to support the back of the seating surface which is designed as a "Step" in the '05 on. It is therefor much more heavily "attached" to the seat base.  It could be done, but by by the time I put in all the necessary screws to support, nearly as easy to simply remove the hole thing (seat and partition) as one.  With the remote oil filter and one point draining should only have to pull everything out every couple of years, and would probably need a good cleaning by that time anyhow.  

Couple quick questions.  How do you grease the coupler?  I was going to see if I can reach through the flap now that the seat is out fully, using the set up I had for my old boat, a pistol grip grease gun and a 1' solid end on my grease gun hose.  I know I can't see the zerk fitting on the coupler, but possibly w/a mirror. Only other way I can see is to remove the drive and grease the splines.  

2ndly, do you fog with the special brew fed through the gas lines?  I didn't look real close yet, but not sure I'll be able to reach the gas line with the seat in since the fuel filter is down so low.  Might have to add a hatch in the back, or put a "Y" valve in the gas line cause don't want to remove the seat every year.

I just have the shop grease the coupler when I have the alignment checked. I just fog through the fuel filter method. Works for me. Of course I just drain the block for winter, too. Use the single point and after that pull a bunch of hoses off. Funny thing is that II never get much additional water out of any of the hoses.

I put a center support made of a scrap piece of starboard on the rear of my wood bench support. Of course, I did it after all of the pics I already posted. I will dig one up and post it tomorrow.