turkeyfoot

Volvo warranties

15 posts in this topic

I had an entirely new outdrive installed in March, '17. It appears that the outdrive is showing signs of the same or similar failure but it could be altogether different. When lowered into the water rainbows of oil appear on the water surface. Theres heavy oil migrating thru the transom to underneath the engine on the same side.

How long is the warranty for Volvo outdrives? It was bought directly from them and installed by an approved dealer and Volvo certified mechanic. 

I would also call your dealer and/or mechanic and get it schedule to a look see so they can get Volvo involved as early as possible.

Had a simular issue on my Volvo drive. It wound up being a leaking upper seal. When the mechanic pulled the seal you could see where the edge of the seal was rolled a little on one spot when installed at the factory allowing gear lube to pass into the boat.

I had a leaking lower seal from picking up some fishing line so when I had that replaced I had the mechanic look at the upper seal. Didn't go back to Volvo for the upper seal because it was only a few more bucks. Can't blame Volvo for fishing line on the lower side.

Seal - cheap

Labor - not so cheap

12 hours ago, brick said:

You have had a rough time with this drive...

brick

#%^$&%$ nice youre paying attention!. Unfortunately the mechanic isnt. Yea, a Volvo certified mechanic who returned the boat with a crimp in the throttle cable and said he noticed it but eh AND his last repair isnt going so well. And he hasnt returned my call since he put me on a schedule for August 21st and then bailed. I havent heard from him and really why would I call him, he knows. So, do I court and reward a guy with his history OR go my own way. Here, hold my beer and watch. 

9 hours ago, bschuster said:

Had a simular issue on my Volvo drive. It wound up being a leaking upper seal. When the mechanic pulled the seal you could see where the edge of the seal was rolled a little on one spot when installed at the factory allowing gear lube to pass into the boat.

I had a leaking lower seal from picking up some fishing line so when I had that replaced I had the mechanic look at the upper seal. Didn't go back to Volvo for the upper seal because it was only a few more bucks. Can't blame Volvo for fishing line on the lower side.

Seal - cheap

Labor - not so cheap

Im making plans with a transporter to haul it 300 miles to and from because I wont reward a person who cant seem to get out of his own way by going back to him and expecting better. In my situation I cant draw a direct line to the last mechanic who worked on it. Ive had it on the water 4 hours since the drive was replaced and its doing the same thing that insurance paid 12k deer to repair. The mechanic wont return my call which probably signals what he thinks of the situation.

Best thing to do is get rid of mechanics like that.   I have also had a few work on my boat that I refused to let them get near it again.  The tough part is having to pay a good mechanic to fix the bad guys work.  Been there and it is a hard pill to swallow. I think you are on the right path.

7 hours ago, Lestat said:

Best thing to do is get rid of mechanics like that.   I have also had a few work on my boat that I refused to let them get near it again.  The tough part is having to pay a good mechanic to fix the bad guys work.  Been there and it is a hard pill to swallow. I think you are on the right path.

Its nice to hear advice that I generally follow. There is always a bit of humanness we have to add to the equation. For instance, today, I went to get my trailer from the mechanics yard (a free storage) having decided to part ways. But he came out and was friendly enough and when I asked, "I assume you dont want to work on my boat anymore, is that right?" He said, No, Ive been slammed. He apologized and and somehow I summoned up the wherewithal to look past his dismal personal record of customer service.

I could excuse his behavior but I dont like to and  would never treat someone like that myself. The only personal connection I get from people is when showing them my intergrity is intact and I care about the kind of work I do because I know they care. When they reflect that back its uge.

You see, hes an independent, and as such hes probably never been told he should always call people and explain even if hes unable to make a date/time. A few words in my direction would have let me know that he values my patronage and regardless of any personal circumstances hed be there for me. More than anything I hate being blown off. Well, he blew me off, I felt the sting, que sera. But if he doesnt turn it around I am going to haul the boat to BumFk Idaho to make sure its done right.

As I was writing this a call came in from the guy whos 300 miles away asking when am I bringing it. He comes highly recommended AND he has good interpersonal skills. Win win.

I totally understand and agree.  I don't think it is asking too much for them to have the common courtesy to return calls.    Being an independent, I would think it would be more important to keep in touch with his customers.  I would have to say,  based on your experience, I would have already hauled it to the new guy to fix.  Good Luck with  your boat and the ultimate goal of having it repaired correctly.

It`s either a leaking upper gearcase seal or one of the three O rings have gone bad or both. If oil is getting inside the boat, then at least the upper(driveshaft) gearcase seal is bad. Your bellows are probably full of outdrive oil and is making its way into the boat via the driveshaft. Check for low drive oil via the dipstick. If it shows low, I bet that's your problem. Don't use it or you could burn up your gearcase bearings.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:50 PM, Chap243 said:

It`s either a leaking upper gearcase seal or one of the three O rings have gone bad or both. If oil is getting inside the boat, then at least the upper(driveshaft) gearcase seal is bad. Your bellows are probably full of outdrive oil and is making its way into the boat via the driveshaft. Check for low drive oil via the dipstick. If it shows low, I bet that's your problem. Don't use it or you could burn up your gearcase bearings.

You might have something there. I checked the outdrive level.....no oil. 

I assume the level has to be checked with the trim down?

1 hour ago, turkeyfoot said:

You might have something there. I checked the outdrive level.....no oil. 

I assume the level has to be checked with the trim down?

Yes, trim down level. You will probably need to pull the drive, have lots of rags ready as when it separates lots of oil will come out. You will probably need to replace the upper drive shaft seal that keeps the oil in the gearcase. The part is not real costly, but the labor can be as you will need to reset the thrust bearing. It should be covered by the warranty I would think.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, turkeyfoot said:

Its nice to hear advice that I generally follow. There is always a bit of humanness we have to add to the equation. For instance, today, I went to get my trailer from the mechanics yard (a free storage) having decided to part ways. But he came out and was friendly enough and when I asked, "I assume you dont want to work on my boat anymore, is that right?" He said, No, Ive been slammed. He apologized and and somehow I summoned up the wherewithal to look past his dismal personal record of customer service.

I could excuse his behavior but I dont like to and  would never treat someone like that myself. The only personal connection I get from people is when showing them my intergrity is intact and I care about the kind of work I do because I know they care. When they reflect that back its uge.

You see, hes an independent, and as such hes probably never been told he should always call people and explain even if hes unable to make a date/time. A few words in my direction would have let me know that he values my patronage and regardless of any personal circumstances hed be there for me. More than anything I hate being blown off. Well, he blew me off, I felt the sting, que sera. But if he doesnt turn it around I am going to haul the boat to BumFk Idaho to make sure its done right.

As I was writing this a call came in from the guy whos 300 miles away asking when am I bringing it. He comes highly recommended AND he has good interpersonal skills. Win win.

What I have come to realize about the small mom and pop places is they tend to be really good or really bad, not always a ton in a middle.  I think what it comes down to is some of these people are either really good at their craft and or have a passion for it, not always both though.  But what I have seen more times than not, is that many lack any sort of true business sense, in terms of customer service or just how to run a business.  Many would probably have benefited from a little bit of schooling.