Jminz

2004 220si question

5 posts in this topic

I have found a 220i in great shape. It has the 5.0mpi paired with the bravo 3. I haven't found much in my search for this setup on this boat. My concern would be lack of power knowing that the bravo 3 is going to eat up a lot of HP. Do those of you with this set up like it? What top speed do you see? Thanks!

That's a good combo.  I'm guessing low to mid 40s on top end (gps).  I love my B3 drive.

It is acceptable power. Will run mid to high 40's with a light load. I hit 50 with a 350MAG/B3.

i would not worry about parasitic loss with the B3. But a 2004 has the older version B3 that "clunks" into gear. A 2005 or newer has a much improved shift feel. 

brick

I have a 220 with the 5.0 and a Volvo DP. Thus far it has had plenty of power for us. Much of this would depend on how you plan to boat but for most situations I imagine Bricks description of "acceptable power" would be accurate. 

It might be acceptable but my thinking on used boats is why settle for acceptable.  The whole reason to buy used IMO is buy up but pay less.  One reason I ended up with a 2002 220 SSi and not a few year newer version as I had assumed I would have, is at the time the market was jammed with 5.0's nationally and the 5.7 had low stock but ended up finding a 02 with all of the upgrades except the B3 and the elusive captains call, nine miles from my house.  I happen to have the B1 instead of the B3 and I smash right through 50mph GPS with a low pitched prop but the 'thump' into gear is almost not noticeable as compared to my prior Chaparral that had an Alpha 1.  Maybe 1/10 as much as an Alpha 1.  The 220 really flies given it isn't intended to be a fast boat and has decent low end pull as well.