Jminz

2004 220si question

32 posts in this topic

I have found a 220i in great shape. It has the 5.0mpi paired with the bravo 3. I haven't found much in my search for this setup on this boat. My concern would be lack of power knowing that the bravo 3 is going to eat up a lot of HP. Do those of you with this set up like it? What top speed do you see? Thanks!

That's a good combo.  I'm guessing low to mid 40s on top end (gps).  I love my B3 drive.

It is acceptable power. Will run mid to high 40's with a light load. I hit 50 with a 350MAG/B3.

i would not worry about parasitic loss with the B3. But a 2004 has the older version B3 that "clunks" into gear. A 2005 or newer has a much improved shift feel. 

brick

I have a 220 with the 5.0 and a Volvo DP. Thus far it has had plenty of power for us. Much of this would depend on how you plan to boat but for most situations I imagine Bricks description of "acceptable power" would be accurate. 

It might be acceptable but my thinking on used boats is why settle for acceptable.  The whole reason to buy used IMO is buy up but pay less.  One reason I ended up with a 2002 220 SSi and not a few year newer version as I had assumed I would have, is at the time the market was jammed with 5.0's nationally and the 5.7 had low stock but ended up finding a 02 with all of the upgrades except the B3 and the elusive captains call, nine miles from my house.  I happen to have the B1 instead of the B3 and I smash right through 50mph GPS with a low pitched prop but the 'thump' into gear is almost not noticeable as compared to my prior Chaparral that had an Alpha 1.  Maybe 1/10 as much as an Alpha 1.  The 220 really flies given it isn't intended to be a fast boat and has decent low end pull as well.   

To revive this thread a little bit I am close to purchasing this 2004 220 SSI. It has all options available for this year. I feel that i have negotiated a good price. Can anyone give me a reason NOT to buy it? Anything with the 220 that was problematic? I feel the 220 has aged well and has not really aged as far as looks and options. 

220 is a great boat. A 350 MAG would be desirable but sometimes you have to take what you can get in a used boat unless you are willing to drive long distances.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Chaparral Rider said:

It might be acceptable but my thinking on used boats is why settle for acceptable.  The whole reason to buy used IMO is buy up but pay less.  One reason I ended up with a 2002 220 SSi and not a few year newer version as I had assumed I would have, is at the time the market was jammed with 5.0's nationally and the 5.7 had low stock but ended up finding a 02 with all of the upgrades except the B3 and the elusive captains call, nine miles from my house.  I happen to have the B1 instead of the B3 and I smash right through 50mph GPS with a low pitched prop but the 'thump' into gear is almost not noticeable as compared to my prior Chaparral that had an Alpha 1.  Maybe 1/10 as much as an Alpha 1.  The 220 really flies given it isn't intended to be a fast boat and has decent low end pull as well.   

Yes and no. When buying used you don't necessarily have the choice.  When buying new your usually limited on your budget that's really about it.  Get down to buying used your limited by budget which you puts you into certain a certain vintage.  Certain vintages may or may not have some options,  beyond that and the bigger factor is what actually out there for sale.  Then you have to look at whats for sale what the price is, overall condition, and distance your willing to go to get it.  So yes I would say why settle ever, but buying uses presents less options at times but does offer a savings just about every time.

The 220 can't be beat for a balance of great looks, great handling, great storage and interior layout. If all looks good I say buy it! Absolutely love mine.

20 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

Yes and no. When buying used you don't necessarily have the choice.  When buying new your usually limited on your budget that's really about it.  Get down to buying used your limited by budget which you puts you into certain a certain vintage.  Certain vintages may or may not have some options,  beyond that and the bigger factor is what actually out there for sale.  Then you have to look at whats for sale what the price is, overall condition, and distance your willing to go to get it.  So yes I would say why settle ever, but buying uses presents less options at times but does offer a savings just about every time.

I am persistent to a fault when it is something I want.  It's not always quick or easy but always pays off.  It may be an old 220ssi with a few options or a certain prospect I want as a client but if it is a 350 in a boat then I will find it. 

It's not just a boat thing, I just won't settle for less than I wanted.  Sometimes that means the search is longer than anticipated.  There's one out there.  

9 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I am persistent to a fault when it is something I want.  It's not always quick or easy but always pays off.  It may be an old 220ssi with a few options or a certain prospect I want as a client but if it is a 350 in a boat then I will find it. 

It's not just a boat thing, I just won't settle for less than I wanted.  Sometimes that means the search is longer than anticipated.  There's one out there.  

Generally, I'm the same way. In this case the 350 for me doesn't offset the 5-6k premium people are asking for them in my 300 mile search radius. (19 deer for this one owner excellent condition boat I'm looking at vs 23-25 deer for others with the 350.) Love the thought of the bigger motor, but I don't think it's something I'll beat myself up over when we are out enjoying the boat. 

6 minutes ago, Jminz said:

Generally, I'm the same way. In this case the 350 for me doesn't offset the 5-6k premium people are asking for them in my 300 mile search radius. (19 deer for this one owner excellent condition boat I'm looking at vs 23-25 deer for others with the 350.) Love the thought of the bigger motor, but I don't think it's something I'll beat myself up over when we are out enjoying the boat. 

That a lot....it wasn't even that much more of an option when new.  Of course the asking price isn't the sale price with negotiation.  Generally, I keep my stuff for a long time and so I couldn't accept the smaller engine in good conscience.  I find used stuff far more satisfying partly because of the search and partly because anybody (you know what i mean) can make a payment on a basic 100k lake boat but it takes actual cash to buy a used boat.  It's the reason so many of my neighbors on my lake can't afford used boats so they have 140k brand new surf boats financed for years....there is no challenge or chase in buying new.  

56 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Not as much fun doing mods, either.  :)

I already have my eye on a few and I haven't even bought the boat yet. Gatorstep flooring, wide band black on the side, led interior lights, ect ect. 

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

I can't recall any complaints from 220 owners with the 305.

Agreed. There are no underpowered 220's.

brick

I have arranged for the boat to he dropped off at the local Chap dealer. They will do a thorough inspection and sea trial (pull drive, compression test, ect). Is there anything else I should be aware of, or anything you would suggest asking the owner of the boat? 

Update. Boat passed inspection. Drive was pulled, bearings and bellows all looked great. Compression was between 190-200 on all cylinders. During sea trial boat maxed at 4400 rpms at 48mph. Mechanic said the boat was in need of a tune up, as the plugs were black. He said the boat felt sluggish. To me it felt great, as it snapped me back in my seat when getting on plane. However I'm  used to our rinker 192 with a lot less power. He said the tune up would go along way and would likely gain a few rpms. He recommended repropping if tune up didn't make a difference. Current props are 26p. The props are the same that came with the boat in 2004 and the current owner has never repropped during ownership with no complaints with current set up. 

Having owned two 220's, I can tell you the boat will perform much better with 24's. 

My 2002 came with 28's. Probably a factory goof-up. Bately touched 4000 RPM's. Repropped to 24's and 4800 RPM 

Current 2005 came with 26's and 4400 RPM. Repropped to 24's. 4800 RPM with stock props. Now hit 5000 RPM after props were tweaked by Bronson Hill Propellers ( now closed ).

You will like the performance of your 220. Great boat.

brick

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Chaparral Rider said:

That a lot....it wasn't even that much more of an option when new.  Of course the asking price isn't the sale price with negotiation.  Generally, I keep my stuff for a long time and so I couldn't accept the smaller engine in good conscience.  I find used stuff far more satisfying partly because of the search and partly because anybody (you know what i mean) can make a payment on a basic 100k lake boat but it takes actual cash to buy a used boat.  It's the reason so many of my neighbors on my lake can't afford used boats so they have 140k brand new surf boats financed for years....there is no challenge or chase in buying new.  

your right sometimes cheaper to buy new. with that said you can get loans on 20 year old boats as well just saying. 

On 11/3/2017 at 0:48 PM, soldier4402 said:

your right sometimes cheaper to buy new. with that said you can get loans on 20 year old boats as well just saying. 

I wonder what the interest rate on a 20 year old boat could possibly be.  

28 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I wonder what the interest rate on a 20 year old boat could possibly be.  

my bank does them for the same rate as new 5-6.5% depending on amount and term.  They finance 100% of book.  Some banks are better than others and some banks require inspections.  But getting a boat loan up to 20 years old on a boat its not that hard.

5 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

my bank does them for the same rate as new 5-6.5% depending on amount and term.  They finance 100% of book.  Some banks are better than others and some banks require inspections.  But getting a boat loan up to 20 years old on a boat it not that hard.

I don't know...I just don't get the whole financing thing.